Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by andrew
~ a friend restoring his car and had por15 (extras) immediately available. he highly recommended por15 & provided it to me at no cost.

i think rust bullet would be an outstanding choice as well...

~ regardless of which product one decides to use... make this repair asap... before its too late.
Being an avid Citroen owner, and Citroens' desire to go back to the earth from where they came, POR15 is regarded here as THE best rust repair and treatment. I belong to a french car forum, and many people have had success with it.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31957

Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Sooo does this problem affect EVERY crossfire?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Sooooo does this problem affect EVERY crossfire?
Unless they redesigned the door for 2007, I would think it will still be a potential "problem area".
Maybe that's the reason they stopped making the Crossfire in alabaster, because it really shows up on a white car.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Maybe that's the reason they stopped making the Crossfire in alabaster, because it really shows up on a white car.
Did I miss something, when did they stop making 'alabaster' Crossfires?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
Did I miss something, when did they stop making 'alabaster' Crossfires?
I believe alabaster was discontinued when they started making the silver ones.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Sooo has everybody checked and do you indeed have rust?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Sooo has everybody checked and do you indeed have rust?
~ some do & some don't.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Sooo can you tell, I'm too lazy to check?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked my weather strip this morning and I am also in the beginning phases of a rust problem. Who has the best prices on POR15? I don't need much, maybe a quart or so.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Forum Regular

I ran across this provider: POR-15 Outlet They're in Mt. Vernon, TX not far East of Dallas. I've been working out there some. I may drop by and pick up a kit. I'll be checking my doors tomorrow after I wash the car.

Thanks Andrew for such great information, instructions and photos. You've saved many of us future heartaches and expense.

Oh! I meant to mention the colors available. Someone ask in a previous post.
Available in Black, Semi-Gloss Black, Gray, Silver & Clear.

Last edited by Midlife; 01-05-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Minor addition...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 AM

POR15 experts,

I have stored my car for the winter, in my garage, in the Northeast. POR15 directions say to apply in temperatures over 50 degrees. I have pulled off the door strips, found a little rust, and dried the area. I plan to wait until April for the POR15 treatment (in warmer weather). Should I spray something on the seams from now until I treat, or just apply the POR now? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mr4crossfire
POR15 experts,

I have stored my car for the winter, in my garage, in the Northeast. POR15 directions say to apply in temperatures over 50 degrees. I have pulled off the door strips, found a little rust, and dried the area. I plan to wait until April for the POR15 treatment (in warmer weather). Should I spray something on the seams from now until I treat, or just apply the POR now? Thanks.
i would use the por15 at this time... i would allow the first coat to dry over night & then apply a second coat the following day.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Andrew, do you think the more often someone washes their car, the more serious their rust problem might be? I mean I realize it's an issue "EVERY" Crossfire owner is going to have to deal with to some degree, but I'm trying to figure out why your doors looked so bad, and mine haven't started rusting yet. The only answer I could come up with is that you being "Mr.Clean" and all, your car has probably been washed at least 3 or 4 times as much as mine.
Now I'm not suggesting everybody go to the "Dry Cleaners" from now on when their car gets dirty, but when it rains or you wash your car, that rubber gasket is going to funnel any water that gets splashed on it directly to that exposed seam and keep it there. Maybe that's why even cars like JPRISTEL's car in Tempe AZ. looked the way it did when he made his post back in May of last year. Even though he lives in an arid climate, that "seal" successfully kept the moisture in, to work its magic.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Andrew, do you think the more often someone washes their car, the more serious their rust problem might be? I mean I realize it's an issue "EVERY" Crossfire owner is going to have to deal with to some degree, but I'm trying to figure out why your doors looked so bad, and mine haven't started rusting yet. The only answer I could come up with is that you being "Mr.Clean" and all, your car has probably been washed at least 3 or 4 times as much as mine.
Now I'm not suggesting everybody go to the "Dry Cleaners" from now on when their car gets dirty, but when it rains or you wash your car, that rubber gasket is going to funnel any water that gets splashed on it directly to that exposed seam and keep it there. Maybe that's why even cars like JPRISTEL's car in Tempe AZ. looked the way it did when he made his post back in May of last year. Even though he lives in an arid climate, that "seal" successfully kept the moisture in, to work its magic.
Is it likely that the US cars have been sitting at the dockside in the salty air for longer periods that the european ones? They will also have made the long sea crossing. There again so will have any other import. Just for information when I inspected my doors the seal was retained by a very small amount of yellowish rubbery adhesive, not really enough to seal it completely but it looked like some attempt had been made.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Woody, that's a good point. But over the years I've noticed that cars residing near our coastal regions, tend to rust up high on the body, as opposed to down low like they do in the North Eastern states.
As I mentioned before, I too noticed a small amount of "caulking like" material beneath my rubber gasket also. But it did not exhibit any adhesive properties at all, and as you pointed out, it was rather sparse in nature.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by stlouistrucker
One has to wonder if the SLK relatives have had the same issue or if this is unique to our Crossfires.
I posted that question at slkworld.com and I'll let you know if anyone has the same problem. This TSB shows a rust problem on R170 SLK's that may apply to crossfires.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 PM

I took a look at my SLK32 and found surface corrosion and rust colored grit in the bottom of the door seal rail. Also found a couple spots on the side of the rail.

DSC_0002.jpg

Old 01-28-2007, 05:47 AM

Bazzle from Oz, also from the Benzworld forum.
I found your link on the SLKworld forum and cross posted to Benzworld.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...corrosion.html

I pulled my seals, luckily no rust BUT soap residue and both sides were damp.

Wiped them out with a damp rag, seals too, allowed to dry and sprayed Powerplus dewatering fluid in the recess (Powerplus leaves a light brown residue behind that doesn't seem to evaporate like CRC, WD40 kero based stuff).
Hopefully it won't hurt the seal but they will be easier to replace than to fix rust later.
Popped the seals back in.

Bazzle

Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Just used Rust Bullet today on both my lower doors to correct the rusting issue, I also drilled a number of 1/8 " holes along the lower weather strip rail to improve on water drainage (as it seems to collect and backup in this area) this turned out to be an easy fix that I know will last compared to a dealer trying to fix it. Trusting my skills and this forums helpful information makes for a fun drive.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can we make this thread a sticky?

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...