Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

P0410 code check engine light

Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0410 code check engine light

I've had my car checked with obd11 scanners came back with code P0410 secondary air injection pump. The check engine light goes off and comes on it was off for 3 days and then came on and would not go out. Has anyone had this problem?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: P0410 code check engine light

Originally Posted by 04-hellfire
I've had my car checked with obd11 scanners came back with code P0410 secondary air injection pump. The check engine light goes off and comes on it was off for 3 days and then came on and would not go out. Has anyone had this problem?
Code P0410 relates the air pump that injects air into the exhaust manifolds during engine warm up. It is located on the front of the engine and only runs for about a minute when the engine is started from cold. Code P0410 is thrown if the ECU fails to detect the pump in circuit so I would check the single two-pin connector that feeds the pump, and from memory I think there is a single fuse in the fuse box that feeds it which is also worth a look. It sounds like you have an intermittent connection to the pump. Have a look here for more details.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04-hellfire
I had the exact same problem...with check engine light and code...it was a bad gasket on the pump...you could actually feel the air coming out of the pump. The pump was replaced at 4,500 miles under warranty. Easy and straight forward ...but they had to order the pump, which took about a week. This is the third occurrence of this that I have seen on this forum.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM

thank you for the reply i will take a look at this.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
I had the exact same problem...with check engine light and code...it was a bad gasket on the pump...you could actually feel the air coming out of the pump. The pump was replaced at 4,500 miles under warranty. Easy and straight forward ...but they had to order the pump, which took about a week. This is the third occurrence of this that I have seen on this forum.
That's interesting. I am not aware of any part of the OBD that monitors the airflow or pressure in the auxiliary air circuit, just the pump supply current. The only way I managed to trip that code was by electrically disconnecting the pump. With a resistor in place of the pump and the code reset I never get the code appearing. Perhaps the leak significantly affects the pump current drawn by the pump which trips the code.

Last edited by woody; 01-12-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Code P0410 relates the air pump that injects air into the exhaust manifolds during engine warm up. It is located on the front of the engine and only runs for about a minute when the engine is started from cold. Code P0410 is thrown if the ECU fails to detect the pump in circuit so I would check the single two-pin connector that feeds the pump, and from memory I think there is a single fuse in the fuse box that feeds it which is also worth a look. It sounds like you have an intermittent connection to the pump. Have a look here for more details.
I have checked the pump it is working fine and the connections to it are clean i tried to trace the wire back to its source but none of the wires seem to match the one connected to the pump which seems to have led into that junction box on the passenger side of the car my idea of course would be to look at the relay or any other connections if I could locate it. Any ideas or suggestions.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:04 PM

I had the same problem. Chrysler first said that there were only 4 parts that could cause this problem. The dealer replaced all 4. I don't remember what they were. With That I still had the problem. I would get the check engine light then it would go out in a couple of days. The code was always the same (P0410). I went back to the dealer when the Chrysler tech. rep. was there. He said to replace a relay module (I don't know where it is located in the car). I do know it is under the hood. It got replaced and I haven't seen the check engine light since. Good luck. I was told that the relay module is a common problem.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM

The relay that feeds the air pump is, I believe, part of the relay control module located in the box where the ECU and BCM are housed. I will have a look at the wiring diagram when I get home this evening.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Looking at the Service Manual, (pages 1921 -1930) there is a complete diagnostic exercise to check out the various components in the air pump system. It relies on using the DRBIII tool but mainly to manually switch the relays and valves to perform the tests, so you may be able to improvise. You probably want to check it out for yourself but a summary of the causes is given as:

POSSIBLE CAUSES
AIR PUMP VOLTAGE SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
AIR PUMP VOLTAGE SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
AIR PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
CRACKING, MISSING, MISROUTED, OR PLUGGED VACUUM LINES
AIR PUMP SWITCHOVER VALVES
AIR PUMP RELAY
AIR PUMP
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Since you say that the pump is running then there probably isn't a problem with the relay etc, but it may be an intermittent connection. So I guess it's probably worth checking out the vacuum lines and valves as listed above.

Following on from aschrager's experience and just for extra information I had a look at the Relay Control Module which is situated in the ECU compartment near the battery. It can be lifted clear after moving the two retaining clips. The module houses:

Air Pump Relay
Engine Control Relay
Traction System Relay
Horn Relay
Fuel Pump Relay

Presumable to save money they have used open framed relays mounted on a PCB, rather than five individual replaceable relays rendering the unit 'unserviceable'. However you can pop the lid off and inspect the innards if required. Interestingly I noticed some corrosion on one of the relate contacts on mine. I would have a look and just check that all the solder joints look intact and that the relays are free to move (after disconnecting the battery of course!).

It’s all much easier if you have an OBD scanner because you can reset the CEL before each test and also see codes that are pending before they are tripped.

Good Luck!

Lifting out the RCM

The RCM innards...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
relay_CM.jpg (220.5 KB, 2813 views)
File Type: jpg
RCM2.jpg (225.8 KB, 2732 views)
Old 02-19-2007, 04:10 AM

P0410 is the secondary air pump circuit. If the relay fails when open replace the relay block in the module box on the right side of the engine compartment. Always check the air pump motor operation by removing the rear plug from the relay block, jumper the heaviest wire to battery + and listen to what will sound like a vacuum cleaner. If the relay fails when closed the air pump will probably be burnt out. Jumper the pump feed to confirm as above. Relay block is around $125 and the air pump goes for $410. Another MB screw up, these relay blocks have been failing on every Crossfire we have sold and all at the 20K to 30K mile range. Another MB example of German engineering is the heated seat fiasco. Wire joints are at flex/pressure joints and the repair kit only gives you one chance to repair the seat covers. The next time the seat goes cold it's time for new seat covers $$$.

The following users liked this post:
DoubleD191` (11-09-2023)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

Mopar Doctor: Glad to have you back on here. You have been gone a long time, but your service advise is badly needed! Welcome back!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 PM

The little BLUE check valve #12 in the illustration is a known issue with the Secondary air injection system. It is prone to sticking closed. This check valve is between the vacuum control solenoid and the diverter valves which allow fresh air to flow to the exhaust. When this valve is stuck it can not open the diverters. This sets the P0410 code, due to the O2 sensors not seeing a change from the fresh air being injected. Hope this helps.

Part #05096374AA. Right (passenger) front corner of the engine, under the engine cover. Bright Blue valve in the vacuum hose. If you change it yourself pay close attention to the position of the arrow (molded into the plastic) it indicates direction of flow.

kernowcrossfire (02-22-2023)
Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Greetings, I am the proud new owner of a 2004 Crossfire Coupe and also a new member to this forum. A few days after getting the car I noticed the check engine light came on, I brought it back to the dealership I bough the car from (an Acura dealer) and they said that I had a P0410 code which meant that there was a problem with the secondary air injection sensor. They told me that this was nothing to worry about, that it was a common problem in Crossfires (which I have read quite a few postings about already), and I believe them in the sense that my car does run absolutely fine, however, it is extremely annoying and for a $15,000 car having to deal with the persistant annoyance of a check engine light gleeming at me is unacceptable.
To cut to the chase, I was told that it was 100% problem within the software itself and that they would get back to me when they were able to fix the problem. I am ready to take the problem into my own hands and need your help. Has anybody else had this problem and done anything to fix the problem? I heard about a case where somebody with an SLK had a p0410 and just needed to spray down the MAF... any suggestions??
-Has anybody actually solved this problem? It seems like alot of people are suggesting solutions, but has anybody actually tried anything and found it to rid the problem of the dreaded p0410 code?
~mike~

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woody
That's interesting. I am not aware of any part of the OBD that monitors the airflow or pressure in the auxiliary air circuit, just the pump supply current. The only way I managed to trip that code was by electrically disconnecting the pump. With a resistor in place of the pump and the code reset I never get the code appearing. Perhaps the leak significantly affects the pump current drawn by the pump which trips the code.
anyway you could give us a DIY to put that resistor in.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 AM

I met the same problem with the code P0410. Apparently the problem was the relays control module. I disassembled as shown above and I sprayed directly on the relays a dielectric solvent for printed circuit and electrical parts. Since everything is working properly
Regards
Philippe from France

Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Hi,

I have had my "Check Engine Light" going on and off for over a year. Took it to the dealer several times. But of course when you get to the dealer the darn light is not on!

They said that it really didn't mean anything, and that everything was really OK with my car. Well....if I ever wanted to sell it, I would think it would be hard to explain that to the new buyer.

So I had them replace the parts that were causing this “Not a problem”. They replaced the Air Pump which was covered under my extended warranty with the $100.00 deduct able, and the Relay that was $342.00 that was NOT covered under the extended warranty.

Have not had the Check Engine Light come back on.

×Crossfire1× (02-08-2023)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Two weeks ago my "Check Engine Light" came on. My neighbor brought over his code reader and read the P0140 code. I had him reset it. Last Thursday I was heading over to pick up my girlfriend for a 500 mile trip to PA and WV when the check engine light came on again so we took her Cadillac STS and left the XF at home.

Today I dropped it off at the stealership and we will see what they do.

More tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Well, I went to the dealership last night to pick up my baby.
They ordered a control module relay to fix the P0410 code and it should arrive in a few days and then I will take it back.

At least this was covered under warranty.

×Crossfire1× (02-08-2023)
Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by theglot
Well, I went to the dealership last night to pick up my baby.
They ordered a control module relay to fix the P0410 code and it should arrive in a few days and then I will take it back.

At least this was covered under warranty.

Gee, when I called Chrysler about me having to pay for the relay, it was not covered under my extended warranty.

Glad your not being charged for it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Gee, when I called Chrysler about me having to pay for the relay, it was not covered under my extended warranty.

Glad your not being charged for it.
The P0140 code is for emission problems so it is covered under the emission warranty.

Talk to your dealer

Quick Reply: P0410 code check engine light