Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Freaking TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Freaking TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

The TPMS is not unique to XF's or MB's. Lots of cars have them. Have you considered going to your local Goodyear store? (The one near my home is located across the street from the 4th largest MB dealer in the country. The MB dealer actually owns the property the Goodyear store is on but I digress.) That is where I purchased the F1's for my car. They used the "old" TPMS stems for my new tires (didn't charge me for new stems) and didn't charge me to reset the TPMS. You, my friend, are getting ripped off by the dealer. I have also been told that Goodyear is able to get excellent prices on parts for Chrysler cars (some sort of partnership they have going) and so if I need an out-of-warranty repair such as this, I would check with my local Goodyear store first. The day after I bought my XF, I took it by the store and asked if they could do routine maintenance on it. They said "What's the big deal, it's just a Mercedes and we work on them all the time." And I'm not saying it to make you feel bad, but it's these kinds of repairs (little things that cost a lot of $$$) that convinced me a long time ago to always get extended warranties.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually called Goodyear, NTB, Discount Tire and another place here in Austin and they did not have the DRB-III Scan Tool to interface with the car. Also moving the stems from one tire to another does not require a reset.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Forum Regular

I just got mine back from the dealer today. They took care of a few minor annoyances all under warranty. One was the TPMS. It had recently become erratic - going on and off. Of course with my bad luck with tires I was freaked out.

The dealer told me they had to re-train the TPMS sensors. They're fine now. I got to meet the trainer. Here is her picture:

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
I was trying to convey a simple point and keep it just that...simple...

If you really want to get **** I suppose you could point out the fact that oxygen has a higher atomic mass (15.9994 amu) than nitrogen (14.00674 amu). It also has a higher melting point (361.12 °F) than nitrogen (345.81998 °F), and boiling points are higher for oxygen as well (297.4 °F) to nitrogen's (320.44 °F).

But why stop there how about the crystalline structure of each, Hexagonal for nitrogen to Cubic for oxygen. Thus the larger "size", which helps keep the Tire inflated longer.

All this and I didn't even touch on the ways that nitrogen severely reduces the amount of oxidation to metal...ie. your wheels!

I suppose to go any further would be overkill...
that's completely irrelevant info for tire inflation. ties don't operate anywhere near the temps you quoted. and in trying to make yourself look the part, all you did was screw up more info... every one of those temperatures is actually NEGATIVE... which means that nitrogen has the higher melting point.

next time you google random buzzwords, make sure they're copied correctly.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for the hijack, dan... glad you got everything sorted out.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
that's completely irrelevant info for tire inflation. ties don't operate anywhere near the temps you quoted. and in trying to make yourself look the part, all you did was screw up more info... every one of those temperatures is actually NEGATIVE... which means that nitrogen has the higher melting point.

next time you google random buzzwords, make sure they're copied correctly.
If you really want to start pointing out errors...You state air is a atom...technically air is chemically called out as O2. Therefore "Air" is a molecule by way of it being two oxygen atoms with a covalent bond...therefore it is a molecule.

The same can be said for Nitrogen...I assume we are talking about a gas here (usually tires are filled with a gas of some sort!). Nitrogen gas, (N2), is two nitrogen atoms connected with a covalent bond.

As we all know...an atom connected with any other atom (even itself) is referred to as a molecule!

Btw...I did reverse the melting points. (conversion from kelvin) But I stand by the fact that Nitrogen is a larger MOLECULE than oxygen!

FYI...the information came from the LECO chemists handbook. A free perk with our gas chromatograph at work! (I'm still pushing for a mass spectrometer).

Last edited by apkano; 08-31-2007 at 09:42 PM.