Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Air Bag Light Stays On

Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light Stays On

I see there are many posts about this subject, but there was nothing that i felt that I could use.
My 08 has been sitting 2 weeks or so and yesterday the wife and I thought we would take it out and wring it out, :cool
The air bag light didn't go off after the initial start up and hasn't did so after many start and stop cycles. Does anyone have some solid info on tracking this issue down?
Looking through the documents from the previous owner I see that the $900 module had been replaced twice since May 2015, with the second one installed Nov 2015 by a chrysler dealer (same dealer each time)
If this was a n MB I would know which way to go with this but it being Chrysler branded, ????
I also have a notice that I received some time ago from FCA that says the drivers airbag needs to be replaced as in safety recall, but they don't have the airbag available to replace it, haha.
Anyway, any advise on helping me track this problem down would be appreciated.
Also any thoughts on any recourse of previous work by the dealership (2- airbag modules)
Thanks

Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Light Stays On

Well, millions of vehicles are covered under that airbag recall. I know it sounds nuts, but in the past two years, Ive had two airbags deploy on me that were covered by the recall. I was cut by flying shrapnel both times -but it was no big deal. One piece got my leg, one got my arm. Personally, I will probably not let any damn dealer take my car apart for the airbag.

As to the light, it sounds like you have a problem with the system that the dealer's standard (and WRONG) answer is to change a module. This is obviously not the issue, unless something is killing the module, which I doubt.

It will be interesting to see what advice you get - cause I got little or nothing for you.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, millions of vehicles are covered under that airbag recall. I know it sounds nuts, but in the past two years, Ive had two airbags deploy on me that were covered by the recall. I was cut by flying shrapnel both times -but it was no big deal. One piece got my leg, one got my arm. Personally, I will probably not let any damn dealer take my car apart for the airbag.

As to the light, it sounds like you have a problem with the system that the dealer's standard (and WRONG) answer is to change a module. This is obviously not the issue, unless something is killing the module, which I doubt.

It will be interesting to see what advice you get - cause I got little or nothing for you.
If disconnecting an air bag module with the battery connected will give a red light, it could be surmised that a poor contact to the air bag could give the same red light. It would mean the bag was disconnected with the battery still connected. Something to consider, nothing wrong with the module, just a poor contact.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear that you took incoming, ouch .. good news that it wasn't bad

I agree about the module not being the issue, it could be one of many sensors throughout the car, not my thing anymore. I was wondering if there is any service protocol out there to troubleshoot this issue, any MB techs here?

I called Chrysler national service today, and was told that there was a recall on the air bag after I had told her that I had a letter in front of me stating that. She was even so kind as to tell me that there wasn't any bags available (after waiting 10 minutes for her to confirm that) after I had told her that, hahah.

It reminded me of why I started doing my own work some 45 years ago, same old, same old s...t when it comes to dealers, especially in the case of Crossfire.

She did say that with the airbag module replacement occurring 2 times in a year for the previous owner that it would be classified as a recurrent problem and would be covered if found bad, (omg)

So, the way I see it, I can take it to the chrysler dealer and bite my nails, or take it to MB that would at least have the experience or take it to an Independent (that has a great rep for the crossfire, mb, etc)

THey all have the same rate, give or take, s..t I hate making these decisions when it comes to someone else determining what comes out of my wallet to fix it???

So, that's where I am at for the present, any thoughts that I can entertain?

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

Old 08-01-2016, 06:07 PM

Good food for thought mr 180

are you saying that that a poor contact to the air bag could be causing the problem and that one might check that air bag connection (after disconnecting the battery)?
do you know if the connections to the air bag must be disconnected in order to replace that over priced module?
thanks

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If disconnecting an air bag module with the battery connected will give a red light, it could be surmised that a poor contact to the air bag could give the same red light. It would mean the bag was disconnected with the battery still connected. Something to consider, nothing wrong with the module, just a poor contact.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bucketlisted
Good food for thought mr 180

are you saying that that a poor contact to the air bag could be causing the problem and that one might check that air bag connection (after disconnecting the battery)?
do you know if the connections to the air bag must be disconnected in order to replace that over priced module?
thanks
Just disconnect the module at that end but check all the connections to the module, the air bag and any wires that go to the module.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 PM

sounds like a plan my friend, thanks

Just disconnect the module at that end but check all the connections to the module, the air bag and any wires that go to the module.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Apparently the SRS-Airbag Warning Indicator can show a system failure that either will not impact safety performance or will impact safety performance. I did not know that!

Attached Images
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Apparently the SRS-Airbag Warning Indicator can show a system failure that either will not impact safety performance or will impact safety performance. I did not know that!
Question: if safety is NOT impacted, why would ANY warning at all be shown ?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 PM

yeah, I saw that last night while looking around for some troubleshooting guidance. It's good that you posted this, it would not be a good thing to not have the airbag operational should it be needed. I lost a brother to a freak accident back in the 90's. Side airbags where not or where just becoming available. he lost it on a corner going back to his house to check if he had shut the garage door, anyway his head hit the side pillar when they hit the tree, lights out, he and his wife never made it to dinner. I didn't learn from that until I rolled my vehicle down the mountain in Vermont many times, breaking everything on my right side, head to hip, no airbags, no seat belt worn. Ask me if i wear a seat belt or become concerned if the air bag light stays on, hell yes! no electrical tape over the lights for me anymore, they are placed there for a purpose IMHO

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 PM

I didn't get to finding that module yet, have you or anyone had it out?
It looks like it is on the floor under the console, I havn'y come across any info on how to removal the center console.
Also, I stopped by the local Chrysler dealership today and asked service a question. They answered as I thought they would, I asked if they had a tech that wad qualified and experienced on the Xfire, ha you should have seen the look on his face! The answer was no.
Then I stopped by the MB dealer up the road and met with the service manager. After sharing my tail of woe about the air bag light not going off he smiled and said he really wished he could help but Chrysler used it's own code and that MB diagnostic's can't read our cars, bummer.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM

I didn't get to finding that module yet, have you or anyone had it out?
It looks like it is on the floor under the console, I havn'y come across any info on how to removal the center console.
Also, I stopped by the local Chrysler dealership today and asked service a question. They answered as I thought they would, I asked if they had a tech that wad qualified and experienced on the Xfire, ha you should have seen the look on his face! The answer was no.
Then I stopped by the MB dealer up the road and met with the service manager. After sharing my tail of woe about the air bag light not going off he smiled and said he really wished he could help but Chrysler used it's own code and that MB diagnostic's can't read our cars, bummer.
It is not under the console, it is in front of the gear change, under the ash tray.
Save
Save

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-04-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM

How to get at it?
Thanks

It is not under the console, it is in front of the gear change, under the ash tray.
Save
Save

Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM

Do you have any information on how to get the console/ash tray out of the way? The Service manual is not clear for me.thanks

Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM

180 .. ummm it looks like there must be about 500,000 wires to that moduledo you have any advice how to proceed?
I have the module in hand, and i understand that it must be cleared of all codes (while in the car) so that chrysler dealership can see what codes are being thrown in order to troubleshoot the system.
Do you have any logical sequence of checking the srs for issues like loose connections,etc?
I can't find a list of components and their locations in order to do that
I realize that each bag has connections
but I'm not sure of seat sensors and any others.
I would like to give it a once over visually before I pay them to clear the code(s)
Thanks

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM

180 .. ummm it looks like there must be about 500,000 wires to that moduledo you have any advice how to proceed?
I have the module in hand, and i understand that it must be cleared of all codes (while in the car) so that chrysler dealership can see what codes are being thrown in order to troubleshoot the system.
Do you have any logical sequence of checking the srs for issues like loose connections,etc?
I can't find a list of components and their locations in order to do that
I realize that each bag has connections
but I'm not sure of seat sensors and any others.
I would like to give it a once over visually before I pay them to clear the code(s)
Thanks
Here is where the electrical components are. CLICK

Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 PM

Here is where the electrical components are. CLICK
ohhhhh, nothing is easy anymore, thanks

Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Can someone tell me how to reset the Airbag light. The passenger door airbag was disconnected without disconnecting the battery.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

To reset my airbag light, the dealer had to keep it overnight and borrow the proper STAR tool from another dealer. There is a TSB on the subject.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
To reset my airbag light, the dealer had to keep it overnight and borrow the proper STAR tool from another dealer. There is a TSB on the subject.
do you have a copy or link to that tsb?

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light Stays On