Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire vs. G35

Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 AM
imported_mightyjlr
Default Crossfire vs. G35

One of the cars I was looking at before the Crossfire was the G35. The one thing I liked about the G35 was its 280 hp. The Crossfire has 215. The 1/4 mile time is a cars true test of performance and the the G35 1/4 mile time is 14.6 seconds and the Crossfire's is 14.8. That's pretty impressive if you ask me. The G35 does weigh 500 lbs more, but still... 215 might be less than what I was hoping for, but certainly not shabby now that I look at it.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the 350z and the G35 and I have to say taht the Z really impressed me. ALl the G35's they have here are automatic which I don't like about sport's cars. THe G35 is better in some ways: it technically seats 4 which is good and the the Infiniti brand stands out more than the Nissan although they are the same company (?). I'm still undecided between the Z and the Crossfire. Plus the availability of the Crossfire is not good: they only made like 8500 of them I think. I'm sure my dealer will want a shitload over sticker.

PS: Admin, can you make a sticky for people to post pictures of their Crossfires? Thnx

ALienz

Old 07-02-2003, 10:54 AM

I was just wondering how they stack up price wise. The Z and Crossfire are about the same with all the goodies added in. Whats the G sell for ??

Old 07-02-2003, 12:50 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by jimbo257
I was just wondering how they stack up price wise. The Z and Crossfire are about the same with all the goodies added in. Whats the G sell for ??
The G35 starts at $31,550 and with all of the options goes for $37,500. One feature that is missing from the Crossfire is navigation... Don't know why Chrysler didn't have this as an option.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Forum Regular

Actually, quite a bit missing I'd say in terms of luxury items.

You mentioned navigation, I'd add

1) Easy exit seat
2) Seat and mirror memory
3) Dipping side mirrors in reverse
4) Dimming side mirrors
5) Automatic headlights
6) Compass
7) Information center (fuel stats, etc)

One other weird thing, maybe it's just me but the window switch seems reversed.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:51 AM
imported_mightyjlr

True, for the price Chrysler really should have added at least a few of these options. I'm going to add an aftermarket navigation system, the only problem is that the screen will come out and block the ac/heater controls. Oh yea thats another thing thats missing... real climate control instead of just ac/heat. I guess you can't say the Crossfire is a great value, but that doesn't mean it's a great car.

By the way Mouserider, where did you purchase your Crossfire in NJ?

Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 AM

14.8 in the quarter sounds decent,

I like the Crossfire but blew the budget with mods to my Cruiser, about 3 weeks I test drove a Pacifica it was very nice quite peppy was missing on the Cool Factor like the Prowler, PT or the Crossfire

Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Forum Regular

It is totally a great car.

I got my baby from Teterboro Chrysler in Little Ferry on Route 46 East.

Navigation is sweet and I've home-built a few in the past and I might do the same for my Crossfire and do one that is HUD based. Not sure about windshield angles right now, still just enjoying the thrill of driving it.

If I do build that, it will take care of navigation, #6 and #7

Old 07-09-2003, 02:39 AM

Sup guys. Just a fellow G35Driver.com regular visiting the forum. Hehehe not suprised I seen this G35 vs Crossfire thread.. They're both great car's and are neck and neck on that 1/4 Mile. Cheers...

Old 07-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Default Re: Crossfire vs. G35

Originally Posted by mightyjlr
One of the cars I was looking at before the Crossfire was the G35. The one thing I liked about the G35 was its 280 hp. The Crossfire has 215. The 1/4 mile time is a cars true test of performance and the the G35 1/4 mile time is 14.6 seconds and the Crossfire's is 14.8. That's pretty impressive if you ask me. The G35 does weigh 500 lbs more, but still... 215 might be less than what I was hoping for, but certainly not shabby now that I look at it.
The 14.6 number must be for the 260hp G35 Sedan. I've beaten 14.6 in a G Coupe with an automatic transmission while "launching" with rpms at idle. Based on that, I think a 6MT G Coupe with a hard launch should hit at least 14.3. The weight difference is actually 400 pounds, but that's still big. The Crossfire actually weighs less than the 350Z.

Still, 14.8 is a respectable time. A 330ci with MT that I ran against at the track did a 14.8. A few mods and you're right there with any other stock luxury/sport coupe in this price range. One thing Crossfire owners might want to look at to cut some time off their quarter miles are the rear wheels. I strongly suspect those things are overly heavy, because almost nobody makes 19" wheels with performance in mind, just looks. They're not good for either drag races or autocrossing. Especially on an underpowered engine that doesn't need the extra rotational mass. Swap them out for lightweight 17" wheels and, with the better selection of performance tires at that size, maybe 14.6 times are right there waiting for you.

I like the Crossfire. 'Bout time an American company put a car like that on the road. If my G hadn't come out, I'd probably be driving either a Crossfire or a RX-8. I hope it's wildly successful so that Chrysler uses this model as its formula for future cars.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Forum Regular

I believe I read in a review that the weight of the rear wheels is 57lbs each.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mouserider
That has to be with tires included, but I think it's still too high to be good for the Crossfire's performance. In comparison, I believe the G35's 18" wheels are between 24 to 26 pounds. Performance tires are usually lighter than wheels, right? You guys should see gains to both acceleration and braking if you lose those satellite dishes.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:11 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by EmpiricalGMan
Originally Posted by mouserider
That has to be with tires included, but I think it's still too high to be good for the Crossfire's performance. In comparison, I believe the G35's 18" wheels are between 24 to 26 pounds. Performance tires are usually lighter than wheels, right? You guys should see gains to both acceleration and braking if you lose those satellite dishes.
Of course lighter wheels would make the car faster, but the huge wheels are one of the most distinctive features of the Crossfire. What other car can you get in this price range that comes with 19" rims standard? None. If you put smaller rims on this car, i think it would look a little funny too, I mean the gaps between the wheels and the body with 17" rims on would be pretty huge. I'm all for lighter wheels, just don't think I'd want anything smaller.