Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

CROSSFIRE IS LIMITED EDITION

Old 07-05-2003, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CROSSFIRE IS LIMITED EDITION

I have seen a alot of posts going on about the fact that people are paying over sticker price and saying the car will not retain its residual. I agree paying over sticker is bad news BUT the residuals for the X fire will be very very strong. It is all about supply and demand.
Chrysler have deliberately made the x fire in limited numbers. The maximum output from Karmann worldwide is 20,000 units, That is Tiny.
Thats because Chrysler want to raise their game, they want to turn heads and for people to sit up and take notice of the 'NEW' chrysler brand.

If they are succesful, which by the look of it they will be, expect the next model [ airflite??, 4 door based on the x fire] to be made in high numbers. I think thats their real 'end game'.

What does everyone else think?

Old 07-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

Well, bad idea or not, it's the "free market" in action.

You are totally correct about the factor of supply and demand. Production will likely be kept low and Chrysler is definitely advertising the fact. One of the postcards I got about the car states it simply:

Fact 1: Very few of these exist
Fact 2: You're not the only one who will be receiving this

While I would say fight the good fight, I'm sure there are people who are willing to pay the premium to get to be the first one or the only one on the block.

In a way, it is a "luxury" one will have to pay with either great bargaining skills or money, with the latter being much easier I'm sure

Also keep in mind that dealers wanting to carry the Crossfire has to put up about $8,100 in equipment, parts and training. Profit on this vehicle has been reported to be $2,500. A recent article you can find on this site also states that if half of the qualifying dealerships in the US order the car and Chrysler splits the quantity evenly, each dealer will get 4.4 cars.

So if we take 4 cars, dealers will make a slight profit or breakeven by making $10,000 if they sell MSRP on all 4 cars (if you consider other cost of business expenses), in the first year. (any other incentives excluded).

Many has said the Crossfire is intended to be a crowd draw, Chrysler themselves has said that. It purpose is to sell other cars.

I can't disclose what I paid for mine, but if I had paid over, I still won't kick myself. The first week of owning the car and the experience and attention I got driving it was a blast and would have been worth a premium for me.

But that's just me.

Old 07-06-2003, 11:44 AM

Ever been to a Toyota Dealer, they commonly add $1000.00 or more on hot selling cars. Crossifre's can be found at MSRP, but you have to search arround. I got mine at MSRP, the Dealer is only getting 4, so I would not have been suprised if add a "marketing charge" or something like that.
:lol:

Old 07-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular

I posted this on Edmunds and it lends itself to this thread:

Well, like any new car (at least one this radical in design and limited in production--PT Crusiers are by no means a limited production vehicle, nor were they ever going to be) this is was expected to happen. Yes, it's rediculous that Ebay has some for $49K, but who cares, because no one will pay that.

As far as the dealers, I contacted about 30 and got ranges from MSRP to $10K over. I think it's like anything else, you have to be willing to do your homework and get the best price. At the end of my "hunt" there were 4 dealers I found selling at MSRP with car(s) on the lot. Hey when the G35 and Z came out dealers were doing the same thing and still today charge MSRP. The Crossfire is only selling 16000 units per year (in the US starting in 04) with only 1000 Crossfire dealers (half of all Chrysler dealers signed up for the program and it cost them $8100 ea to tool there shops for the XFire.) That equals only 16 units per dealer/per yr. That is a very limited number of units and eventually they will start selling at MSRP everywhere, but probably not any less (which is fine.)

I was as frustrated as everyone else in the high price, but if you do your homework you can find MSRP today no problem. As far as idiots selling on Ebay for $10-$15K over MSRP, who cares--if someone is stupid enough to pay it so what (but I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone will.)

I'm picking up my XFire on Monday for sticker in Black. For those who are really serious buyers and not window shoppers, there is a deal out there for you right now. It will be neat to be the first one on the block w/ one. There are enough G35's and Z's in my town.