Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Steering Wheel Dye --- my wheel is turning colors

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Dye --- my wheel is turning colors

There are a couple spots on the front of the wheel that must have lost its dye. It is turning dark brown. Is there a certain type of dye I can use to touch it up? Something simple and easy to use... that I can wipe on without spraying?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Wheel Dye--- my wheel is turning colors

Found this on a recent post, Hope it helps.

ppro
Forum Regular

User Gallery
Re: Anybody Want A Steering Wheel - 03-31-2009 , 06:36 PM

I never would have believe this before it actually happened to me.

There are products you can buy to "dye" seats and steering wheels and other interior parts.

It's called "paint for vinyl" or "paint for leather" and comes in a variety of colors.

You'd think it was a snake oil product but much to my surprise they actually work well, stay on, and withstand abuse.

A couple years ago, some service person raked my wife's pristine leather steering wheel and gouged it. The reaction was first "we didn't do that", but when I asked the tech to get in the car, the offending feature of his clothing actually repeated the damage. Then they told us the car was "old" and we were being picky. When I pointed out that the steering wheel was not damaged and should be fixed they then "dyed" it. I was very pissed. But the only lasting issue after the "repair" was that the finish was not the correct gloss. Amazingly the "dye" never wore off, the gloss never dulled, and that was after another 150K miles!

I have also used vinyl paint on seats (never wore off) and door panels (never wore off or faded) and even on exterior parts (windshield wipers, trim parts) and it was very durable.

Consider buying the right shade of gray, follow the instructions to the letter, and you might find like I did, that the results are very satisfactory. You may want to make sure you do not get glossy finish - the satin is probably the right level of gloss. And keep your grimmy grips off until it's dried for 24 hours!

ppro
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/index.htm

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Steering Wheel Dye --- my wheel is turning colors

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
There are a couple spots on the front of the wheel that must have lost its dye. It is turning dark brown. Is there a certain type of dye I can use to touch it up? Something simple and easy to use... that I can wipe on without spraying?
Have you dyed the wheel or is it still original?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ppro
Have you dyed the wheel or is it still original?
It is the original wheel. I had the car 4 years and put 52K miles on it. I park my car in the sun and it gets very hot here in the summer (100+ temps). I recently put some Meguaire's leather conditioner on the steering wheel but I don't think that caused the problem. I just ordered some "leather paint" online in the color that is supposed to be for the dark grey Crossfire interior. I will try that and see what happens. It is just one small spot but I want to take care of it because small spots usually get bigger

Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Forum Regular

It is the original wheel. I had the car 4 years and put 52K miles on it. I park my car in the sun and it gets very hot here in the summer (100+ temps). I recently put some Meguaire's leather conditioner on the steering wheel but I don't think that caused the problem. I just ordered some "leather paint" online in the color that is supposed to be for the dark grey Crossfire interior. I will try that and see what happens. It is just one small spot but I want to take care of it because small spots usually get bigger
I'm curious where you ordered the paint. Griot? Eastwood?

You may find that you will get the best results painting the whole wheel.

The products you used to treat the wheel will work against you when you paint - the oils will prevent the paint from adhering. Make sure you use the recommended prep chemicals before painting.

Sometimes people actually like the patina that develops on the leather as it wears. But I am partial to the unweathered look myself.

One alternative to paint is a leather polish that matches and minimizes the problem spot. I would do some checking first but perhaps the liquid applicator style products like the stuff nurses used to use on their shoes (that white liquid) might work? You'd have to use that for the dye and then apply something over it to restore the proper sheen. That would be one possible way to just treat a spot.

To prevent the advancement of damage one of those window shades might be in order.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 AM

I ordered a bottle of this....

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...ductid=D%20245

Let me know what you think.... if you think it will work.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Forum Regular

I ordered a bottle of this....

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...ductid=D%20245

Let me know what you think.... if you think it will work.

That's looks like the right idea. It's nice that they have a color chart page for picking the right color for your car.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Auto...ymouth&catID=5

Make sure you use the products in the proper order to get the surface prepared to take the dye. Oils from your hands and the leather products already in the leather will cause problems unless you follow the steps.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ppro

That's looks like the right idea. It's nice that they have a color chart page for picking the right color for your car.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Auto...ymouth&catID=5

Make sure you use the products in the proper order to get the surface prepared to take the dye. Oils from your hands and the leather products already in the leather will cause problems unless you follow the steps.
Thanks... I just realized that I may have just ordered the dye and not the kit. I am trying to correct this issue by getting the prep and all the other extras. The best part is the dark brown color of my steering wheel is very small on the bottom (where I handle the wheel the most). It is a thin strip about an inch long. I can do that small area first to test and see how it works. Then one day I will do the whole wheel when the rest of the wheel gets worse. The hardest part is not driving the car for 24 hours

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 AM

I am curious to see if the dye comes off on your hands after driving a while. Did you consider getting a quality steering wheel cover. I put a 2-tone red/back "wheelskins" cover on mine, and matched it with a black leather w/ red stiched "MOMO" shift ****, they really set off the interior of the cedar/slate interior

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM

I assume all leather products are colored with dye. My belt is black but you can see the stressed areas where the dye came off and it is turning brown. I guess with time and useage the dye will come off anything.

As for the steering wheel cover, that is a good idea. Is there a certain type of cover that is not too thick and will fit the crossfire? What kind to do you use?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM

"wheelskins" try autoanything.com. They are custom sized to your car, and any combo of colors or solid colors available. Took about 20-30 minutes to "lace" it on.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM

I will admit... those wheelskins look nice! I guess steering wheel covers have come a long way over the years. I would assume our color for the dark grey interior would be "charcoal" on their color chart?

I just ordered one. When I dye the wheel back to grey I will put the cover on. Maybe it will help protect the rest of the steering wheel. The sun and heat down here is bad! I wish I had done this sooner.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 04-08-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM

I just got the wheelskins in charcoal. Looks like an identical match in texture and color to the crossfire steering wheel. I haven't had a chance to match it up but I will give an update when I install it. Seems like a great idea to use a nice cover in this Texas summer sun!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Just an update... I ordered the dye using the color chart for Dark Slate Grey (used on Crossfires). I found the color to be slightly lighter than the original. I painted the bad spot of the steering wheel where the dye was coming off last night. I am still waiting for the full 24 hours before I buff it. I am hoping the color will dull down a bit when I buff it.

Either way, it is ok. I move to plan B. I bought one of those wheelskins covers and I love it. Never thought I would put a steering wheel cover on my car but this looks really nice. I ordered the charcoal color which matches the steering wheel real close. I am just waiting for the dye to dry before I start lacing up the wheel cover.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have pics of their wheelskins? I am debating on using one for a quick fix for my worn steering wheel.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM

I had the charcoal on there but took it off. It looked almost olive green under certain light. If you get one, I suggest getting black. The wheelskins is a great cover. Just takes a lot of work putting it on and it takes work to remove it too.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to know- I don't mind putting in the work, but the color is one thing I would have a problem with. I had picked the charcoal color too. Black isn't the color I am looking for either I got a price of $1600 to replace the steering wheel- most of it was the air bag, I guess... I will search out other options- maybe take it to an auto upholstery shop? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meowch
Great to know- I don't mind putting in the work, but the color is one thing I would have a problem with. I had picked the charcoal color too. Black isn't the color I am looking for either I got a price of $1600 to replace the steering wheel- most of it was the air bag, I guess... I will search out other options- maybe take it to an auto upholstery shop? Thanks!
The charcoal grey looks a bit olive green under certain light. Black would go good with my car (the base model). The shift boot is black and my new radio has some black in it.... not mention the car color is black. I just took the wheel cover off and never put the black on it... was not a fan of the feel in the grip. The best thing to do is find a shop that can dye and match the color. I bought a new wheel (used but looks new) and one day I will replace it when it gets really worn.