Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hello!

Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello!

Hello everyone...I'm new to the world of Chryslers, so I thought I'd introduce myself...I've always had a passion for the Dodge Viper (dream car). I own a 2002 Land Rover and a 1992 MB 300E, both bought new...The Benz has been my flagship of pride and joy and it has only 81,000 miles on it, and has only seen the inside of a service center for front end alignments...I do most all my own maintenace...So Mercedes has always been the car of choice for quality in my mind...Then I saw this ad; http://www.chrysler.com/crossfire/vi...ial/index.html ...WOW! how cool!! I know nothing about the CROSSFIRE and am looking into more about it...The fact that it is German/Daimler built, got my interest up. :shock: Or maybe it was Celine Dion singing :wink: that tripped my trigger...Anyway, this maybe the car to replace the old Benz with...I'm going to test drive one this weekend to see if it has the graciousness of the Benz tradition.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the world of the Crossfire Dennis, I hope you enjoy your test drive like the many of us who did and have become owners.

Oh! If you are into Celine, don't forget to ask your sales guy to give you a free Celine CD, they have them at the Chrysler dealerships.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome here...Can you tell me anything about the car?
ie; handling, ride comfort, wind noise, quirks, quality of interior appearances, leg/head room (I'm 6'3), seat adjustability, sound system, get up and go, braking, milage, warranty...anything basiclly, good and bad...I'm spoiled by the solid feel and quality of the Benz and also, I'm use to the quirks of engineering from the Land Rover experience.

Thank you again...sorry if I'm asking too much before I have a chance to see it for myself.

Yes, I'll be going for the Celine album too :wink:

Old 07-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

Well, there was an article I came across today from JD Powers that says that Chrysler beats Benz in quality

The car rides very well, cabin is very quiet and the seats are nice. The center spine console is plastic so it depends on what you feel about satin finished shiny plastic switches and surfaces.

Other textures in the interior is very nice.

I'm 5'10, I fit fine and have no problems getting in and out. I can't say for 6'3 except sit in it. Driver seat is 8 way power.

Handling is great, I took it on a series of winding roads in the area and the Crossfire stuck to the ground like flypaper.

I have the 5-speed autostick and it is one of the smoothest automatic transmissions that I've been in, it feels like an ECVT, you almost can't feel the shifting.

Braking is confident and there is a good feel. I haven't done any hard braking but I've heard there is ABS pulsing.

Stereo's display is hard to read in sunlight but it does sound good and does have some nice features.

One quirk I'd say is that I think the darn power window switches are reversed, at least to me. You press the top part of the switch to lower the window and the bottom to raise it.

Go visit the Web site and check out the features.

Things I'd say are missing from the car is a navigation system, fully automatic climate control, memory seats, tilting side mirrors on reverse, cruise control indicator on the dash, trip computer.

That said, I still LOVE this car!

Old 07-09-2003, 09:39 PM

Thank you for your honest evaluation...I'm still very intrested, in spite of the fact that you don't get a cruise control enabled indicator..That does seem odd though, with it's Euro roots and all. Also, I learned that it sits on a SLK 230 platform...Any fact to that rumor? IMHO, It don't get any better than that :wink:

Old 07-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

It sits on the SLK 320, same engine, electronics, transmission, steering, suspension (retuned for the different wheels and body) and brakes.

It is built in the same factory that the CLK 320 comes from, made in Germany.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by Dennis
Thank you for your honest evaluation...I'm still very intrested, in spite of the fact that you don't get a cruise control enabled indicator..That does seem odd though, with it's Euro roots and all. Also, I learned that it sits on a SLK 230 platform...Any fact to that rumor? IMHO, It don't get any better than that :wink:
Not only does it sit on the SLK platform, it shares its engine, drive-train and many other parts with the SLK 320. It is about 40% mercedes parts, and most important parts of the car are in that 40%.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:12 PM

Not only does it sit on the SLK platform, it shares its engine, drive-train and many other parts with the SLK 320. It is about 40% mercedes parts, and most important parts of the car are in that 40%
Wow! Now that gets the ole juices a flowing...Thanks very much, I got to look into more about this little beauty. I'll get back with you-all after the test drive. 8)

Old 07-11-2003, 11:06 AM

Just picked up my black 6 speed! Love the car. Solid, responsive, fun and cool...