Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Picked up my Crossfire--Story (Long)

Old 07-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my Crossfire--Story (Long)

Okay...here is the whole story (see picture Gallery for pics):

So my dealer was in West Texas and I live in Austin. I flew out and drove the car back for 6 hours. It was great the dealer picked me up from the airport, we went and had breakfast (my treat for him putting together such an awesome deal) and then we went back to the dealership--I could hardly stand it any more. I think the last time I was this excited was when I was 10 yrs old at Christmas!

We got to the dealership and they had it detailed and roped off on the showroom floor. It was incredible--I felt like a celebrity the entire time I was there. Everyone was coming up to me and congratulating me, the GM spent almost the entire time with me. We pulled it off the show room floor (keep in mind this is on a Sat which is super busy at a car dealer) and the whole place just came to a standstill--gosh that was weird.) I took it around the block for a "test spin" . I knew that it was going to be something else, because as we pulled off, heads were turning faster than I could count them.

We get back to the dealership and pull it under the entry in front and within seconds the entire lot of people had migrated over to the car (DON'T TOUCH!) to stare at it. I felt weird having all of those people stare as if I were some kind of celeb (only analogy I can think of when it comes to the attention you get with this car.) We were going over the car and everyone just gathered around like some kind of circus--it was hard to pay attention to my salesperson telling me about the Crossfire. I wrapped up everything, and got in and started her up and drove off back to Austin--the people moved away like the parting of the Red Sea. It was SUCH a FUN experience the whole time.

I made my way back to Austin (6 hours of getting to know my new baby--it was GREAT quality time.) As I started to get into the city the people were breaking their necks to get a look at the car. People would speed up and pull along side to stare (it really makes you feel weird--do you look over or play cool and ignore??) This one guy alomst wrecked his car going over the center line into the other lane because he was looking back and not ahead! As I pulled into the Austin proper, it only got worse--MUCH worse. 90% of the people going by were pointing, head turning sppeding up to get along side, just incredible. This is in a town where BMW's, Mercedes and every other expensive car is a dime a dozen. I could go on and on about the stares.

I came home and picked up the wife and we took it for a drive and to go eat. This is when it gets fun. We pull into this shopping/eating area where there are a ton of resturants w/ out door patios. I'm not kidding you it seemed as though EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and looked over as we passed by (slow becuase we are in a parking lot.) Then as if by a miracle there was a spot open RIGHT UP FRONT(next to handicap one--plenty of space). Well that was it. About 10 people came from the front waiting area before we even got out to stare at the car and ask questions. Then more came. We went inside and ended up getting a table outside--if I had a dollar for every person that looked at the car while we were eating, I'd be able to buy another Crossfire for cash. The people came to the table (that saw us pull up) and were asking "what king of car is that???" It's strange to say a Chrysler!

Anyway I know the story went long, but it's fun. Bottom line--if you don't have one get one! If you don't want attention--don't bother. Off to take the car out for Sunday Brunch--here we go again :lol:

Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular

Great read, thanks.

It makes me wonder if mine will be roped off like yours. :?

Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 PM

Congradulations. The Pictures are great. Beautiful car. I picked mine up at the dealer on Friday Jult 12th. the color is right but I wanted an automatic, mine is a six speed, but couldn't pass it up. The Dealer had it in the showroom Thursday and until noon Friday (When i picked it up). I dropped my Pt Crusier off for and oil change. I told service told the service dept I was going to get the Crossfire they had in the Showroom. She said: Oh, that's too bad its already sold! I said Ya - to me. She said I had better come back an give her a ride. When I went to the show room there were about 10 people looking at it. The Salesmanager said he could have sold it 10 times in that one day. All the salespeople at the dealership told me how lucky I was, as they are only getting two this year. Just like you , I felt just like a kid at Christmas. I live only five miles from the dealership, drove it home and parked it in my garage. Was going to take it for a spin today, but the weather was threatening all day. Will be going to Jacksonville (about 300 miles) on the 24th That will be my first trip. Been looking at it a lot and read the Owners manual three times though. Even on the shot ride I knew it's a great car. Did'n get it over 55 - so the spoiler hasn't poped up yet. Looking forward the a fun ride. I'll post some pictures next coulpe of day. :shock:

Silver/Six Speed/Dark/light gray Interior

Old 07-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Forum Regular

jimbo:

That's great--I love to hear the stories! You HAVE TO get it out and drive it. The trip you have for 300 miles will be perfect to really get a sense for all of the handling. Heck I took mine out 3 times yesterday, just looking for a reason. Once to the drug store (as far away as possible), then out to grocery and auto parts store, and finally to pick-up dinner. The wife loves it so far, because I'm running ALL the errands :lol:

One QUICK story. On one of my trips I popped into the auto parts store to get "cleaning supplies" for the car. When I came out of the store--and I'm dead serious when I say this--there was one guy taking pictures of the car, and another on his cell phone telling his friend to come over to see the car!!! I was flattered and chatted with the two guys--the attnetion is a bit OVER the top. Everywhere I went the people are breaking their necks to look. Too much fun :P

Old 07-14-2003, 05:00 PM

texex91:

Are you in North or South Austin. Mine is due in two weeks...black too sorry. I live in South Austin. Have to coordinate days so your not on my side of town while I'm out.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular

Damn :twisted: Stay away from N Austin--please. I promise not to come down to S Austin :lol:

Where did you get yours? I went far out of Austin, but got it for about $700 over INVOICE. Everyone here wanted $2500-$5000 over MSRP.

Ok, NO MORE IN AUSTIN--PLEASE!!!

Old 07-14-2003, 06:24 PM

Tex:

Getting mine at the chrysler dealer on N. IH35 in South Austin. They have 3 there now 2 silver and one black. One silver one sold this weekend. They're expecting 2 more in two weeks one silver and one black...mine . Trading in my Audi TT so wasn't worried about price so much. Enjoy yours and hope I don't see you out on the road anytime soon

Old 07-14-2003, 06:28 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Wow, Austin seems to be the Crossfire capital! Texex isn't going to be happy. :lol:

Old 07-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Yep, I talked with Maxwell but they were way too high. Let me know how the service is there.

You are not allowed to come North of Town Lake without warning me--of course I will do the same headed South :?

Enjoy the heck out of it--and tell all your friends you hate it so I (we) don't have to see anymore in Austin :lol:

Old 07-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular

Congratulations!! I kinda knew you would enjoy it.

I pulled my car off the showroom floor's center display as well and it was quite a rush.

Will be another rush when I pull it out of the dealership again :lol: