Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driver side AC issue

Old 09-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side AC issue

Hello All,
04 crossfire, sometimes a blast of hot air comes out of the driver side AC vents when AC is on full cold. It doesn't last long then goes back to cold? Been searching and looking and still in the process. An input appreciated as I don't see this specific problem. Temperature sensor maybe in the evap? Driver side only.....thanks!

Old 09-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Driver side AC issue

No. This is not an A/C problem and if you can get THAT out of your head, you can fix this. Otherwise, you will never fix it. There are two things you should know:

1) There are two heater core sensors, one for each side. There is ONE evap temp sensor.
2) Trying to troubleshoot this without the service manual is a waste of time.

Our service manual is incomplete, inaccurate and they made semi-documented changes over the production run - so the manual is crap - but it TRULY is better than working blind and guessing.

The Crossfire's climate control system uses a variable flow of hot water to set the temperature of the air it blows on you. The DuoValve has two valves one for each side.
In your case the driver's side valve is opening too often/much. This is usually a mechanical problem with the valve itself. YOu can take them apart and clean them or simply replace the entire assembly.

But in this case, I suspect the issue is in the climate control module. IF TRULY ONLY ONE SIDE is acting up.
If BOTH sides are doing it (make damn sure you verify this) I'd blame EITHER the duovalve, climate module OR a lack of 12 volts to the valves. It is important to realize that if there is NO power to those valves, they open all the way. This is so that the "REST" system can flow water any time it wants to. Again, look in the service manual and you will see how it all works. Iv'e seen two SRTs (not sure if Ill see N/As like this) that lost 12 volts to the duovalve and they blew hot air, but only at times. I never could find the bad connection, so I hotwired a new 12 volt feed to the center pin - all fixed!

SO, make SURE it's only one side, if so, and if it "comes and goes when I am driving", then it's the climate control module. Lotsa luck with THAT.

CHeck back with us when you know for SURE it's just the driver's side. (I suspect you already do know that, but be sure or you will be chasing your tail...)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-08-2022 at 03:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
Deepsea21 (09-08-2022), Sussudio (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:01 PM

Thanks so much for the info! Definitely will help me get to the problem. Only drivers side for sure, that much I know. Comes on hot only whilst driving down the road then, reverts back in a few seconds to cold again. I will check the valves which I did read about here in the "How too's". I am going to try and set the drivers side thermo a notch toward warmer to see if it makes any difference. Hopefully this will give me a lead toward the climate control module being at fault. Just something i have to work on for a while. Again I appreciate the info!

Old 09-09-2022, 01:18 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I recently was having a similar problem on my SRT coupe. When starting out driving both sides would blow cold, as the engine temp got up to normal the drivers side only would blow hot. After another 3 to 5 miles the left side would begin to blow cooler and eventually get back to cold. I disassembled the duovalve and found it to be quite dirty. Steel wooled all the metal parts and spent a lot of time removing general crud. Seems to be working just fine since. I would like to drive some more to be sure but so far so good. The are several YouTube videos you can watch.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
I recently was having a similar problem on my SRT coupe. When starting out driving both sides would blow cold, as the engine temp got up to normal the drivers side only would blow hot. After another 3 to 5 miles the left side would begin to blow cooler and eventually get back to cold. I disassembled the duovalve and found it to be quite dirty. Steel wooled all the metal parts and spent a lot of time removing general crud. Seems to be working just fine since. I would like to drive some more to be sure but so far so good. The are several YouTube videos you can watch.
Thanks, this helps as well.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:32 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Actually drove the coupe a few miles yesterday and the a/c is still blowing cold.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
Actually drove the coupe a few miles yesterday and the a/c is still blowing cold.
Great, keep me posted. I'm gonna get to those valves as they look pretty easy to take a look at and clean. Took the care out this morning and no issues. It only happens once in a while. Climate control module could be my issue as "pizza guy" had pointed out so I'm gonna look into that as well.