Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Thanks. I have it ordered.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Originally Posted by eagle670
Thanks. I have it ordered.
Just a quick check.. the starter would spin but the engine wouldn't fire correct?

And most cases you do get a check engine light indicating Crank Positioning Sensor.. but not always.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM

No the starter would not do anything. All the dash lights would come on, including the radio, but no cranking of the starter at all. I left the car for about 30 minutes and it started back up. No issues since. I have read alot about this issue and it appears that sometimes, but not all the time, it will throw a code or turn on the check engine light. I have neither of these indicators. Sounds like several on this site have had the same problem with different warnings or symptoms. All point to the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
I hope this fixes it, I am on pins and needles driving it, hoping I don't get stranded. It's pretty embarrassing pushing a car like this down the exit ramp.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

No the starter would not do anything. All the dash lights would come on, including the radio, but no cranking of the starter at all. I left the car for about 30 minutes and it started back up. No issues since. I have read alot about this issue and it appears that sometimes, but not all the time, it will throw a code or turn on the check engine light. I have neither of these indicators. Sounds like several on this site have had the same problem with different warnings or symptoms. All point to the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
I hope this fixes it, I am on pins and needles driving it, hoping I don't get stranded. It's pretty embarrassing pushing a car like this down the exit ramp.
No starter is probably the RCM causing the problem.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No starter is probably the RCM causing the problem.
What's the RCM?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

What's the RCM?
This ................

or

The PDF version of the above thread.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-18-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Really Cool *****.......
Random Computer Malfunction
Rarely Causes Mayhem
Redundant Component Module
etc
etc

Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Really Cool *****.......
Random Computer Malfunction
Rarely Causes Mayhem
Redundant Component Module
etc
etc
Somebody is bored tonight...

Click on my signature .. Video RCM..

Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Hey eagle670 , if the car dies on you and then doesn't even try to turn over and by that I mean the engine DOES NOT make any sound indicating that it wants to turn on
but cant! If like you said, makes no sound only the dash lights come on and radio etc and sometimes it will turn back on right away sometimes it will take 1 or 2 hrs .. if so, IT IS NOT YOU CRANK SENSOR.... Like everyone above has been saying and I also confirm this .. it is your RCM ( Relay Control Module ) these cars are popular for having the problem and that is most likely why the previous owner sold it and you got stuck with it ... It happened to me too and to many of us on this forum .. You need to replace the RCM, it's an easy job, it is by the car battery to the right of it, inside a black box with a removable lid / door take door off from the black box and disconnect the rcm and put the new one in .. It cost me about 150 4 years ago .. go to a Mercedes dealership and get a RCM (Relay control module) for Mercedes SLK 320 and whatever year your crossfire is, do not go to Chrysler they will probably want 500$ for it! Good luck any more questions feel free!

Last edited by BenzFire; 09-18-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Benzfire .. If you look at the links just posted with this.. there is a free fix.. or 15 dollar mail in repair option.. but spend your money how you like..

Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Mrmiata, I was aware of the fix yourself repair and 15 dollar mail in, I did try the 15 mail in but never got a "go ahead" from the guy that was doing it here on the forum even messaged him a few times, seems he was too busy? Anyways, about the fix yourself option not everyone has the skill or experience to perform a GOOD soldering job no? I would think that if you do it wrong you probably end up blowing the whole damn thing completely I didn't take the risk of doing some hack job and opted to cross my fingers and make it to work over not having a car at all .. so I ordered a new one .. best 150 I've spent in the last 5 years! maybe if the 15$ repair guy would of helped me out I would have a different story to tell.. Thanks for the video though, I had not seen a video on the repair only pictures!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Didn't have a clue "when" you dealt with it.. and DJ was on extended vacation for a while.. just wanted him to know there were other options.. including hobby shops and tv repair shops that rely on doing quality solder joints..

Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Didn't have a clue "when" you dealt with it.. and DJ was on extended vacation for a while.. just wanted him to know there were other options.. including hobby shops and tv repair shops that rely on doing quality solder joints..
Thanks for the info. It appears I jumped the gun on ordering the crank sensor. Oh well I will have it for a back up. I will order the RCM and get it replaced. Glad I found this forum. You all are awesome!! Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 AM

Somebody is bored tonight...

Click on my signature .. Video RCM..
Not finding the video. Can u help?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Not finding the video. Can u help?
Red text at the bottom of this or any other post I've made.. click on it.. but here is the video.. AND having a spare CPS and tools to change with on hand is always a good idea!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3-post379.html

Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 AM

Red text at the bottom of this or any other post I've made.. click on it.. but here is the video.. AND having a spare CPS and tools to change with on hand is always a good idea!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3-post379.html
Having trouble finding the part online. Anyone have the part number or where I can get this Relay Control Module?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Having trouble finding the part online. Anyone have the part number or where I can get this Relay Control Module?
Send it to D.J. and all your problems will be solved CHEAP! See link for his RCM exchange program...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post513379

Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Found the RCM on the Mercedes Parts Superstore website for $169.45
Part#1705450305, Dealer was $226.20

Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Found the RCM on the Mercedes Parts Superstore website for $169.45
Part#1705450305, Dealer was $226.20
You'll get the same results from D.J. for around $20. Board/Relays are tested and modded and there are many satisfied members. Paying all that money for a new board is just buying the same problem down the road. I.E.- you'll still have to do the re-solder on the new board eventually.

Had the exact same symptoms happen to my board @ 30,000 mi. Did my own soldering and she's been perfect for nearly 70,000 more miles.

If you must have a new RCM, RockAuto is cheaper...STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY1739 @ $127.79

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=3188

Last edited by syfi; 09-19-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

170-545-03-05-05 Mercedes Benz RELAY

Quick Reply: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor