Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Originally Posted by syfi
You'll get the same results from D.J. for around $20. Board/Relays are tested and modded and there are many satisfied members. Paying all that money for a new board is just buying the same problem down the road. I.E.- you'll still have to do the re-solder on the new board eventually.

Had the exact same symptoms happen to my board @ 30,000 mi. Did my own soldering and she's been perfect for nearly 70,000 more miles.
I am going to try the soldering fix. If it works okay, I'll send the part back. Thanks all!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Originally Posted by syfi
You'll get the same results from D.J. for around $20. Board/Relays are tested and modded and there are many satisfied members. Paying all that money for a new board is just buying the same problem down the road. I.E.- you'll still have to do the re-solder on the new board eventually.

Had the exact same symptoms happen to my board @ 30,000 mi. Did my own soldering and she's been perfect for nearly 70,000 more miles.

If you must have a new RCM, RockAuto is cheaper...STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY1739 @ $127.79

RockAuto Parts Catalog
Found out the there are no returns from the mercedes parts superstore without a vin number, obviously I don't think they would want me to use the one from my crossfire. Anyway I cancelled the order for the new RCM.
I am going to try the solder fix, can you tell me if there is a certain area on the board that is more common than others or is it pretty random?

What is DJ's user I?. No one comes up by that name.
Thanks again

Last edited by eagle670; 09-19-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added to the message
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle670
Found out the there are no returns from the mercedes parts superstore without a vin number, obviously I don't think they would want me to use the one from my crossfire. Anyway I cancelled the order for the new RCM.
I am going to try the solder fix, can you tell me if there is a certain area on the board that is more common than others or is it pretty random?
What is DJ's user I?. No one comes up by that name.
Thanks again
I gave you the link to his page in post #157. D.J. Tighe ( aka: tighed1 ). Follow the link below to go to the first page of his tutorial on the RCM fix...all will be explained there!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Still doing the repairs. Never stopped. Benzfire, checked and I don't see any PMs from you so I don't know what happen.
Eagle670, contact me via email for the repair of your RCM. Sounds like that's your problem.

tighed1 @ hotmail . com

Originally Posted by eagle670
Found the RCM on the Mercedes Parts Superstore website for $169.45
Part#1705450305, Dealer was $226.20

Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Just replaced the CPS in my wife’s car. A piece of advice regarding the bolt – get a smallish extending magnet (mine is about 18”) and get the magnet head down next to the bolt area, so when you remove the bolt if (or when) it falls off the socket the magnet is there to catch it.

Also, when reinstalling the bolt use some blue painters tape to secure the bolt to the socket. Put most of the tape on the socket, with just enough overlapping the bolt to secure it. Reinstall, then just pull the socket and the painter’s tape will stick to the socket. A long socket extension is very helpful, as is a universal joint for the socket.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Default Crankshaft sensor fixed for $350!!!

Ok so I'm a girl and don't work on my own Crossie, but I think charging me $188 for the sensor and another $115 to diagnose the problem, when I TOLD him what it was and he knew what it was is ridiculous.

Do these dang sensors go out a lot? I had the RCM soldered 6 months ago or so by this same German auto shop (a BIG thank you to fellow Crossfire owners who know a thing or two) rather than buy a new one since the problem is the wiring being loose.

Wish I could work on this car myself I'm gonna need to get a job to support my Bonnie Blue

hotwheels and her 2005 Crossfire Coupe

Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft sensor fixed for $350!!!

Originally Posted by hotwheels
Ok so I'm a girl and don't work on my own Crossie, but I think charging me $188 for the sensor and another $115 to diagnose the problem, when I TOLD him what it was and he knew what it was is ridiculous.

Do these dang sensors go out a lot? I had the RCM soldered 6 months ago or so by this same German auto shop (a BIG thank you to fellow Crossfire owners who know a thing or two) rather than buy a new one since the problem is the wiring being loose.

Wish I could work on this car myself I'm gonna need to get a job to support my Bonnie Blue

hotwheels and her 2005 Crossfire Coupe

Actually you would find there are plenty of members with a wrench and a little time they can spare if you gave a shout out. That's the way we roll..

Old 10-17-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by kenwk1
Just replaced the CPS in my wife’s car. A piece of advice regarding the bolt – get a smallish extending magnet (mine is about 18”) and get the magnet head down next to the bolt area, so when you remove the bolt if (or when) it falls off the socket the magnet is there to catch it.

Also, when reinstalling the bolt use some blue painters tape to secure the bolt to the socket. Put most of the tape on the socket, with just enough overlapping the bolt to secure it. Reinstall, then just pull the socket and the painter’s tape will stick to the socket. A long socket extension is very helpful, as is a universal joint for the socket.

Or duct tape.. or masking tape.. and as I have noted earlier in the thread.. break the bolt loose.. add tape to the socket then remove the bolt.. no magnet needed..

Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Actually you would find there are plenty of members with a wrench and a little time they can spare if you gave a shout out. That's the way we roll..
I know- and you guys are the BEST!! I have learned enough now to do it myself next time.
If there is a next time. Mechanic said these cars do this frequently.

After the guy fixed the CS he said the computer was indicating 'evap system large leak', he asked me if I had not maybe put the gas cap on tight enough (duh) or I could have a fuel leak. Which I don't. Or I would smell it...anyway the car is running fine now. Unless it blows up from this large leak, that is.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPS or RCM or just really only a faulty battery ??

Hi my XF friends ,
I am trying to anticipate future issues with my XF roadster 06. I had several problems with my XF 06 in the past (2 yrs ago), like parking the car, come back and no start, just a ticking noise. Apparently was not the battery. Was thinking my RCM giving me problems?? I tried disconnecting one part of the battery and connected it again. Luckily the car started. This happened to me about 6-8 times. I know this is a limited solution, one day the car will stay dead. By the way, this only happened to me in Miami where I live since 5 yrs. When I was in Atlanta Ga it never happened. Heat is a factor? Or maybe it is the CPS ? Or just a coincidence?
In the meantime I changed my battery because I found lots of corrosion on one connecting part. Even cleaning it did not help. I had to jumpstart the car several times and figured it must be a faulty battery, so Advanced Autoparts gave me a new one. Since than no issues. But now I am still scared it will happen again. But if my RCM is the reason, shouldn't it has happened in the last 2 years? What about the CPS?
I am considering ordering one just in case. I found one at this link Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
Can you guys confirm me that to be the right part for my XF Roadster 06 ?

I appreciate you all so much to be part of my XF family

Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels
I know- and you guys are the BEST!! I have learned enough now to do it myself next time.
If there is a next time. Mechanic said these cars do this frequently.

After the guy fixed the CS he said the computer was indicating 'evap system large leak', he asked me if I had not maybe put the gas cap on tight enough (duh) or I could have a fuel leak. Which I don't. Or I would smell it...anyway the car is running fine now. Unless it blows up from this large leak, that is.
Pretty hefty what some German repair shops charge to replace a piece that is easily accessible and only held in by one bolt!! That is a less than 5 minute job for a skilled mechanic and the part itself is not expensive either!

The 'evap system large leak' is the gas cap in most cases. I had the same issue. If you just want to buy a new one you would be all set. So far I have reinforced the rubber lining that seals the gas cap with some cheap material from Home Depot and the problem hasn't come back. If you use the search function there are several DIY fixes for this problem but if you don't feel like messing with it I'd just buy a new cap they aren't that expensive either! Good luck!
I want to say you are good to go now. Only issues I ever had on mine was CPS, broken solder joints on the CRM and the gas cap problem. Aside from that it's no expenses except for regular maintenance and tires/brakes! Our engines are pretty durable and not very sensitive to destruction!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

janaiy Yes that is the correct part. Bosch Crankshaft position sensor 0261210170 = Mercedes 0031532828

Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Can one of you guys help!! I have a 2005 crossfire with 10th miles. The car the engine tries to turn over but fails and while attempting to Start the car spurts out this black smoke from the exist pipe. I had it towed to a shopand after a hour of "diagnosis" he says it's the relay control module. He runs my total to me @548.00 my questions are 1. How does he know it's the rcm versus the crankshaft, 2. What does the rcm have to do with the car exhust having black smoke. Before it got this bad. The car would cut off at a certain Temperature like many have said. It would cool off and fire back up. Mine would cut while thecar was in motion. I had several check engine light codes but none of which has me to believe it's this most expensive part that they are saying has to be built first then shipped because it's back ordered. I know I am a woman but gosh please help. I needand want my baby working..

Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 PM

There is a link to a thread in my signature below "Video RCM".. at the top right will take you to the full thread where a member fixes these for about 20 bucks. But yours is the first I've heard of as a source for "black smoke".. need the codes from the check engine light to help past that.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Oh.. and hang loose on these people "fixing it" for you.. Atlanta Georgia has plenty of members in the neighborhood if I'm not mistaken..

Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blkccrossfire1
Can one of you guys help!! I have a 2005 crossfire with 10th miles. The car the engine tries to turn over but fails and while attempting to Start the car spurts out this black smoke from the exist pipe. I had it towed to a shopand after a hour of "diagnosis" he says it's the relay control module. He runs my total to me @548.00 my questions are 1. How does he know it's the rcm versus the crankshaft, 2. What does the rcm have to do with the car exhust having black smoke. Before it got this bad. The car would cut off at a certain Temperature like many have said. It would cool off and fire back up. Mine would cut while thecar was in motion. I had several check engine light codes but none of which has me to believe it's this most expensive part that they are saying has to be built first then shipped because it's back ordered. I know I am a woman but gosh please help. I needand want my baby working..
Immediately get your car back from the mechanic. Go to this thread that explains how to fix the RCM. The board is easy to remove and find someone who can solder, or take it to an electronics repair shop (like a TV repair place) with a copy of the picture showing what points need resoldering, or just send it to Tighed1 for repair, who only charges $20 to repair it (your best bet)!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Pretty hefty what some German repair shops charge to replace a piece that is easily accessible and only held in by one bolt!! That is a less than 5 minute job for a skilled mechanic and the part itself is not expensive either!

The 'evap system large leak' is the gas cap in most cases. I had the same issue. If you just want to buy a new one you would be all set. So far I have reinforced the rubber lining that seals the gas cap with some cheap material from Home Depot and the problem hasn't come back. If you use the search function there are several DIY fixes for this problem but if you don't feel like messing with it I'd just buy a new cap they aren't that expensive either! Good luck!
I want to say you are good to go now. Only issues I ever had on mine was CPS, broken solder joints on the CRM and the gas cap problem. Aside from that it's no expenses except for regular maintenance and tires/brakes! Our engines are pretty durable and not very sensitive to destruction!
Thank you for responding! I didn't see your message in my inbox, don't know what happened there. The mechanic did say it was probably the gas cap..I always put it on tight so don't know what happened. It has not given me any warning codes so maybe it was just an isolated event. I hope. What type of goo did you put on your cap lining? Silicone?

I thank you again and all xfire people here who have saved me a bundle of money esp with the relay module...I took in the paperwork printed off of this site and told the mechanic 'here's the problem, please fix it by soldering'....he was speechless that I, a woman, knew something he didn't. He soldered the relay...there were 6 loose wires! As for the crankshaft sensor, I will do that myself next time if necessary. It doesn't look difficult and I have small hands so can reach in there easily.

I live in Canada and would love to get together with other Crossie owners and compare notes..maybe have a little session to show some of us how to fix common problems, etc. I'm on the west coast. I in IN LOVE with my car, it is the most unique little thing and comfortable to drive...just have to watch for the RCMP

hotwheels

Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 PM

Ok thanks I will look into the fix in this forum. Is he accurate to say the part is $300 he also says it has to be "built" because it's back ordered.. which takes 3-5 days to ship.. ridiculous

Old 11-19-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Crossfire
This is the BEST car owners' forum on the net, regardless of make/model!

I bought my 2004 Blaze Red Xfire about a month ago. So far -- thanks to this forum -- I have made the following modifications:
1) Added the "keyless entry" chirp with a $4.00 part from Radio Shack
2) Replaced the cabin air filter (previous owner was a smoker - odor gone!)
3) Replaced both air intake filters with K&N performance filters
4) Swapped OEM brake pads for Rotex Gold pads (virtually NO brake dust!)
5) Added carbon fiber under the spoiler with AMG badging
6) Disconnected faulty seatbelt warning sensor (no more beep!)
7) Debadged all Chrysler logos (controversial, but I likey!)
8) Found "hidden" coin holder
9) Check for toe/camber in rear wheels for excessive wear
10) Reset service interval indicator
11) Reset throttle response memory
12) Repaired rust in door weather stripping with One Step primer/sealer
13) Learned to LOVE my Xfire!!!

This forum rocks. Everyone treats newbies with TLC and we care about our common Xfire fan.

Kudos to you -- all of you!!!
I agree! Great forum!! I have one question after reading your list here...does the Coupe Limited have a cabin air filter? I have not found it....thanks,

hotwheels

Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 PM

I'm not sure how easy it can be viewed but I uploaded a video of what it does when I try to start it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpw1cdtghf8y7m1/20141118_124425.mp4?dl=0

Quick Reply: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor