Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Parts (lack there of)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts (lack there of)

Just wanted to post a quick thread about our manufacturer. My crossfire was severely damaged in a hail storm last month. After getting the car into the shop we all realized that chrysler is currently without parts suppliers for our vehicles. Calling Chrysler today I was told that there is nothing the company can do, they can't and won't do anything for the crossfires until they negotiate with a supplier. Wishing to speak with a supervisor, instead of the service rep, I, as the customer, was told that I cannot speak to the supervisor as it is not allowed. With my problems getting parts and those of the roadster owners having trouble getting new tops for faulty originals I think we as a whole need to send a message to chrysler that we keep them in business, if they don't take care of us we won't take care of them. Sorry a bit heated by the rudeness of their staff and their lack of support for the car.
__________________________________________________ ___________
edit by Valkryderguy:
SEE POST HERE TO MAKE YOUR CONCERNS KNOWN TO CHRYSLER ON FACEBOOK

Last edited by Valk; 01-12-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added info to contact Chrysler
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Parts (lack there of)

With Karmann gone, things could get rough, as far as body parts.

Our cars started life as step kids, now they are becoming orphans.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like an unintended consequence of Chrysler’s bankruptcy. Suppliers got screwed. Now we’re left to deal with the aftermath.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM

I agree. My wife loves her car so much, at one time we planned on keeping it for our lifetime, expecting parts difficulty years from now. However we are now having strong thoughts to sell the car and buy something non chrysler and supported.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Fully operational parts cars can be had for $9-10k. Roadsters a little more. But, yeah, getting OEM parts will be a problem sooner rather than later. I will count on some unfortunate wrecks to generate future parts or someone may step up and make them, like they do for Triumph, MG, Austin Healey.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Selling the car because you can't get parts is a bad move. Take the car and keep it in the garage if you can.... it will become rare and valuable one day. Not getting parts and the fact they only made so many cars ensures it to be a future classic. Besides, the parts are laying around somewhere. Just like the Delorean parts that have been in storage all these years!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a junk yard owner nearby, but hasn't had one in yet...still, I buy Bennie a beer anytime he wants. one...got to keep him happy...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM

The thought of selling the car does get us upset as we do love her. But without parts to fix her, or they become to expensive to buy, then what is the worth of having a collector car that looks like crap or doesn't run. I understand this some years down the road but not when the car is 4 years old. As for chrysler, their service to the customer was terrible. I will not do business again with them, was looking at a challenger but have now decided on the camaro. I have been able to find the needed parts in the junk yard around the nation but the insurance company is unwilling to ship them from a junk dealer as they end up being to costly in the long run. Not bashing anyone here just heated about the situation. Waiting till october or later, having the car being given back to me tomorrow and being forced to pay the deductible before the work is completed is just not right, all from the friendly chrysler dealer.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mac92a2002
Just wanted to post a quick thread about our manufacturer. My crossfire was severely damaged in a hail storm last month. After getting the car into the shop we all realized that chrysler is currently without parts suppliers for our vehicles. Calling Chrysler today I was told that there is nothing the company can do, they can't and won't do anything for the crossfires until they negotiate with a supplier. Wishing to speak with a supervisor, instead of the service rep, I, as the customer, was told that I cannot speak to the supervisor as it is not allowed. With my problems getting parts and those of the roadster owners having trouble getting new tops for faulty originals I think we as a whole need to send a message to chrysler that we keep them in business, if they don't take care of us we won't take care of them. Sorry a bit heated by the rudeness of their staff and their lack of support for the car.
This is very weird hearing this actually, since the tech I talked to monday at my local dealer told me that the spoiler motor they would have to order is coming from Germany.

I'm assuming that that motor isn't in any other Mercedes, since it seems that it's a unique spoiler design for our cars.

But yeah, I can see the problem with body panels and such.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've waited three weeks (so far) for a lousy tube of touchup paint. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I should have purchased that lifetime warranty. Perhaps I should have saved my money and looked for a donor car (although that would not solve my touchup paint issue).

I certainly hope that this issue will be resolved before too long.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Hail damage? That sucks.

I have a feeling that the original poster's caris severely messed up. I've seen my share of hail damaged cars in Minnesota and believe me, the hail destroys body panels that NO manufacturer would have immediately available. Think rear quarter panels, roofs, etc.

Own a 2009 BMW M6? Try getting a roof for that... How about a rear quarter panel for a 2009 Audi RS6? That's going to come hot off the presses in a custom order from Germany and it sure as heck won't come in less than a few months.

If you're trying to replace a PCV valve or a crank position sensor, no problem. Even a piston, rod, or an entire engine. But any body panel other than a hood, front fender, bumper, or door is going to result in some seriously long waits, unless it's pulled from a wreck.

IMHO, this is a case where an insurance company should have totaled the car and paid out to the owner.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 AM

I've been also waiting for a replacement hood for two weeks now, my shop was told that there is no estimate delivery dates. This is very frustrating to say the least!

Frank

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Towncrier
I've waited three weeks (so far) for a lousy tube of touchup paint. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I should have purchased that lifetime warranty. Perhaps I should have saved my money and looked for a donor car (although that would not solve my touchup paint issue).

I certainly hope that this issue will be resolved before too long.
There is a provision in the Chrysler Max Care warranty that I had on my SRT-6 that planned for the possibility of repairs that exceeded the current retail value of the car.

IMPORTANT! The maximum reimbursable amount should
a covered component fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF
THE REPAIRS, PER VISIT, LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR
THE CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE WHICHEVER IS
LESS
! The cash value of the vehicle will be determined by
the average retail value as listed in the current NADA Used
Car Pricing Guide. In situations where the repairs costs
exceed the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the
Plan coverage will be cancelled.
Essentially, if it gets too expensive to repair these cars under the extended warranty, they cut you a check for the retail value of the car, wash their hands of the warranty and cancel the balance of the contract.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Dumb question mac but I have to ask it. Where is your damage and what body parts are we talking about? I had my PT in a hail storm and when the insurance company looked at the car they wrote up an estimate that included a lot of body work. On my own I took the car to Dent Wizards and they got out 27 hail dents at a fraction of the cost and I was able to keep my original paint. You might want to check out one of the paintless dent removal guys, they may be able to save you a lot of heart ache.
Good luck - Pat

Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Hail damage? That sucks.

I have a feeling that the original poster's caris severely messed up. I've seen my share of hail damaged cars in Minnesota and believe me, the hail destroys body panels that NO manufacturer would have immediately available. Think rear quarter panels, roofs, etc.

Own a 2009 BMW M6? Try getting a roof for that... How about a rear quarter panel for a 2009 Audi RS6? That's going to come hot off the presses in a custom order from Germany and it sure as heck won't come in less than a few months.

If you're trying to replace a PCV valve or a crank position sensor, no problem. Even a piston, rod, or an entire engine. But any body panel other than a hood, front fender, bumper, or door is going to result in some seriously long waits, unless it's pulled from a wreck.

IMHO, this is a case where an insurance company should have totaled the car and paid out to the owner.
Agreed. Given the fact that Crossfires do not lead the automotive pack in resale value (an based on what I'm assuming is heavy damage) it sounds like the insurance company should have declared it a total loss and paid out intead of you going through all of this junk. Yeah, I too have been waiting since July 3 for a tube of SSB touch up.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mac92a2002
I have been able to find the needed parts in the junk yard around the nation but the insurance company is unwilling to ship them from a junk dealer as they end up being to costly in the long run. Not bashing anyone here just heated about the situation.
Call up your insurance adjuster, and have a heart to heart conversation with them about allowing the use of used parts to replace the hail damaged parts on your car, so that you will be able to get your vehicle on the road again in a timely fashion.

Inform him that due to Chrysler's ongoing saga of stupidity, there are no new parts available at any price, and that you want your insurance company to either allow the use of slightly used parts, or that they give you enough money to purchase another Crossfire at one of the dealers that still have them in stock, or from the auto auctions that occur on a regular basis.

They will most likely be able to get you a new Crossfire for next to nothing if they go that route. Heck, tell your local dealer to do this, and you might wind up better off.

BC.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Sorry been out of the loop for a bit. To answer the unanswered questions the car has damage on every body panel. Some dents were 3-4 inches deep, 80 mph winds and softball size hail. The car was at first taken to a dent repair shop and they said no way they were not capable of doing it. The parts that were hard to find was the hood and drivers fender. The roof and quarters as well as all the rest, has already been done. After speaking with chrysler again then having my lawyer speak with them and geico at a sit down they have decided to use "an unusual method" in replacing the hood and fenders. They purchased them from a 08 sitting at a dealer in K.C. and shipped them in.

I am truly appalled by the behavior of chrysler, got a call after I posted originally and they said sorry, we are making them, we don't know whats going on. I then directed them to my dealer, whos repairing the car, and they said they wouldn't speak with them.

Long story but she is getting the new hood and fender, we are waiting on the new cowling but I can accept that it is a hard to come by part.

Be careful driving now, as parts have become so scarce insurance companies will be quick to total.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

I think we better come up with a way to protect them from hail storms, I won't even uncover mine if there is the slightest chance of a hail storm... thinking of making a padded cover for the top areas...

oooooo softball size hail... hmmmm will have to go beg my neighbor to let me park in their two car garage!!!!

Deb

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular

Has the parts situation improved or worsened?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by radmanly
Has the parts situation improved or worsened?
Please go to face-book and voice your concern. Follow this thread.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post452334

Quick Reply: Parts (lack there of)