Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How much free play on your steering wheel?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much free play on your steering wheel?

hi, I wonder how many of us have free play on the steering wheel. If you do, how much free play do you have? And have you get it fixed.

Mine has about 20k miles, and I can move my steering wheel freely about an inch on so along the rim of the steering wheel, without moving the wheels, no matter if the engine is on or off.

I was browsing the technical section of the forum, looks like this is common on the crossfires. Some members said it only required to tighten up a bolt, but some required to change the expensive steering box. Some said this is normal, but I quoted "there should be no play at all on the recirculating ball steering" off the internet. I changed the steering stabilizer as suggested in the forum, but it does not solve the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Nynick8 (09-23-2022)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much free play on your steering wheel?

I had this same question with the Chrysler dealer about two weeks ago. On mine, if the steering is centered, it is tight. If you turn the steering one rev left or right there is about an inch or two of play. The Chrysler/Crossfire tech was not sure so he said he called the "experts" at Chrysler corporate. They said that with the kind of steering used on the XF, it is normal for it to have play when turned and the car stopped. The steering should be tight and not wander while moving though. I have a few curves around home and gave it whirl. The steering is tight even in the turns.

If you have play in the steering while centered, then you need to have it checked.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there is a "Scheduled Maintenence" for tightening the sleeve clamp for the steering. Maybe that?

Mine is very tight at 24K miles.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. I've had the same issue with mine and I started having the issue when I bought mine brand new last Nov. Mine is quite stable at low speeds but on the freeway, it seems to have more room to roam, so to speak. And it seems to do that more when the tires get into ruts in the road. Sometimes I get the sensation that the car is suddenly moving hard to one direction -- likely "falling" into such ruts or grooves on the road.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular

Good thing to try is the steering stabilizer replacement (Check this thread)

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Sometimes I get the sensation that the car is suddenly moving hard to one direction -- likely "falling" into such ruts or grooves on the road.
Isn't this one of the quirks of the XF???

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

steering stabilizer...just replace it...you will love it...see the thread about this...cheap fix...mine seem to roam a bit, tried this mod...car was different car...love it...for less than $50 and 15 minutes...

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackei
..... I changed the steering stabilizer as suggested in the forum, but it does not solve the problem.

Guys, he already changed it.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM

then he has a problem in the steering box....local junk yard time...tightening something that has already been lose for sometime never worked in a truck steering box, so I can't see it working here either...look for replacement...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Doc, do you take the Crossfire to the track in the semi???

Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM

nope, 2 hrs drive to nearest track that will let me play...NHRA tracks, won't let me run due to no roll cage...I am looking for a trailer though, last one I borrowed didn't pan out well, so I think its time for my own...but a few mods are getting into the way of that....anyway, steering box issue, I'd replace it...I'm headed out to the garage now...I will look at mine...but, that is way too much play..if my truck was that way, it wouldn't pass a DOT inspection....

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Here is the diagnosis for loose steering from the service manual.

LOOSE STEERING AND VEHICLE LEADS/DRIFTS
CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSE CORRECTION
EXCESSIVE PLAY IN STEERING
WHEEL
1. Worn or loose suspension or
steering components.
1. Repair as necessary.
2. Worn or loose wheel bearings. 2. Repair as necessary.
3. Steering gear mounting. 3. Tighten gear mounting bolts to
specification.
4. Gear out of adjustment. 4. Adjust gear to specification.
5. Worn or loose steering coupler. 5. Repair as necessary.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM

I agree Mike, I quess I assumed that has all been checked...and we know what assume means...LOL>>.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macjville
I had this same question with the Chrysler dealer about two weeks ago. On mine, if the steering is centered, it is tight. If you turn the steering one rev left or right there is about an inch or two of play. The Chrysler/Crossfire tech was not sure so he said he called the "experts" at Chrysler corporate. They said that with the kind of steering used on the XF, it is normal for it to have play when turned and the car stopped. The steering should be tight and not wander while moving though. I have a few curves around home and gave it whirl. The steering is tight even in the turns.
Yep, exactly. I didn't aware of it before. I just know sometimes the play is big, sometimes is small. Now I know.. haha.. But when my steering is at center, the play is minimal, but still some, little bit. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
Guys, he already changed it.
Yep, I already changed the steering stabilizer.

I looked at the steering mechanism while I was changing it, the shaft attached to the steering wheel can turn freely for a few degrees, while the pitman arm is still as a rock. The steering stabilizer attach to the pitman arm end of the steering box, so that was not the problem. I think something is loose in the steering box.

Hey MikeR, what does "Repair as necessary" means? haha~ a trip to the shop?

Last edited by jackei; 08-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Forum Regular

Hey MikeR, what does "Repair as necessary" means? haha~ a trip to the shop?
Yea I'm curious myself as to where the adjustment nut would be. Any photos or references would be great.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 PM

I think 'Repair as necessary' means.... fix it yourself ...or hand over your wallet!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Forum Regular

No "free play" here at all. That would be a BAD thing. My steering is TIGHT and I'm keeping it that way. ...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

hi, I wonder how many of us have free play on the steering wheel. If you do, how much free play do you have? And have you get it fixed.

Mine has about 20k miles, and I can move my steering wheel freely about an inch on so along the rim of the steering wheel, without moving the wheels, no matter if the engine is on or off.

I was browsing the technical section of the forum, looks like this is common on the crossfires. Some members said it only required to tighten up a bolt, but some required to change the expensive steering box. Some said this is normal, but I quoted "there should be no play at all on the recirculating ball steering" off the internet. I changed the steering stabilizer as suggested in the forum, but it does not solve the problem.
I have a small amount while stopped. Nothing I haven't seen out of any other car though. Drove my grandfather's newish-Mercedes yesterday, and I wasn't really paying attention, but nothing seemed different to me besides that the car was supercharged and it was more sluggish than my N/A crossfire.

I think a small amount of play is normal, but others find this annoying, and I'm sure there's a way to tighten it up, as you can see some have very responsive steering.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Looks like you have found the problem, but what to do to fix it...that I really can't tell you. Dealing with big truck steering boxes, they have an adjustment on them, but once you go there, the box is usually on it way to being bad...can't say that about these boxes, but I didn't see anywhere to tighten it while under mine today. There isn't anything along the steering arm leading to the box that would be loose is there????

Quick Reply: How much free play on your steering wheel?