Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Using the "auto-stick" feature??

Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using the "auto-stick" feature??

I have never had a slap stick car and the Crossfire being my first I was wondering how every one is using it and if it's "enjoyable"? Thanks - Bob

Old 01-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

its quite good i only use it in one circumstance when i want to power past something or out of a corner it eliminates the lag on the pedal, i find it doesnt drop enough cogs when you floor it.

Basically i hold the stick to the left, power on full change up gears manually until i reach the desired cruising speed (60 - 80mph) then drop back to auto mode.

Not sure i'd use it in any other way?

Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular

I actually use it quote often, and I really like it.

Downshifting on an off ramp to slow down

Shifting up through the gears when you need (or just want!!) that extra bit of pep

Then just go back into auto for regular city stop and go driving

Plus, my wife would never drive a manual.....

Old 01-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Forum Regular

went for a drive toady only used autostick feature, good fun apart from change between 1st to 2nd seems a bit sluggish anyone else get this? or is it just that 1st is a short gear, it almosts seems that you need to change a bit before you want the gearchange?

Old 01-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Forum Regular

Go try it that's what it's there for--it's actually quite fun.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsisabella
Plus, my wife would never drive a manual.....
Maybe, "just Maybe you should of gotten a 6-Speed... that way you'd have the car to yourself.... :twisted: :wink: :twisted: :wink:

Old 01-25-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the comments. I "slapped" mine around this morning dropping two ranges from drive at about 50mph and stepped on it, exhilarating - shifted it back to drive ending at about 70, lotsa fun. Seems quicker than just flooring it as I experienced no torque converter lag prevalent in other automatics I have owned.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Default Re: Using the "auto-stick" feature??

anyone able to tell me what type of delay you get between gears with the slap stick. on my automatic there is a delay between slapping it and it actually shifting. not an instant (or close to it) as a real manual. could It just need a trans fluid flush and new gasket? which I already have planned.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 04crossblack
anyone able to tell me what type of delay you get between gears with the slap stick.
on my automatic there is a delay between slapping it and it actually shifting. not an instant (or close to it) as a real manual.
could It just need a trans fluid flush and new gasket? which I already have planned.

There is a slight delay on mine as well mostly shifting 1 2 3 4 5 and I think this is common on most all of these
5 4 3 2 1 is a little more responsive
I have had mine for 8 years and driven several others as well and found no difference really

Last edited by Valk; 10-30-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

I do not notice a delay in mine. It may be a half second, but I haven't noticed. I keep my hand off the shifter until I intend to use it as the throw, or movement required to make the shift, is very short and I find myself shifting inadvertently as my body weight shifts in a turn. I did have the transmission flushed at 70,000 mi by a local Mercedes dealership. Mine shifts fast and precisely at the slightest movement of the shifter.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't driven an automatic Crossfire, mine and the others I test drove were all 6sp. But I did have a 2006 Charger R/T for 7 years, and its auto-stick was far quicker and better overall compared to any other I have driven. I also got a Diablo Sport tuner for it and you could alter the chip points, and firm up the shifts a bit. It worked very well, but really wasn't needed. I felt the factory setup was a great balance of use and everyday drivability. Does anybody here have experience in the LX cars, and the Crossfire to compare shifting?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
I do not notice a delay in mine. It may be a half second, but I haven't noticed. I keep my hand off the shifter until I intend to use it as the throw, or movement required to make the shift, is very short and I find myself shifting inadvertently as my body weight shifts in a turn. I did have the transmission flushed at 70,000 mi by a local Mercedes dealership. Mine shifts fast and precisely at the slightest movement of the shifter.
''I get your problem. really.

I am THE roadster with a stick guy and use the shifter as a hand rest. My manual shifts smoothly and with complete automation. The **** acts superbly as a hand hold during High speed turns thru the twisties.

Then I get in the wife's SRT6 and find my hand constantly confusing the tranny.

But, once you get used to the thing, it is a remarkable shifter. And after sometime with it, you will find it not only shifts smoothly when you anticipate it, sometimes it does it for you. The tranny" "learns' how you drive and anticipates your inputs.

I still prefer the manual, but the power of the srt is addictive. And the response of the tranny, even in the NA, makes the crossfire a pleasure to drive. Just learn to put your hand on the console and bump shift it with your thumb.

Do this if for no other reason than to prevent a sudden autonomic thrust of the shifter into third for a passing maneuver. Putting the shifter into that position is "PARK"

I don't think the computer program has cuss words in it's vocabulary but if it did,, you would hear all of them pronounced loudly.

Fortunately nothing happens and your passenger will just laugh. And later tell all your friends. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I just use the manual stick feature. OTOH my Jeep has the same 5-speed automagic and is quite responsive in the mountains.

Last edited by Padgett; 10-30-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or, you could get the paddle shifters and feel like the king of the world ��

Old 10-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use to think that "Paddle shifts" were really only needed in Formula One cars (due to space restrictions), But in a Sports Car, it was just a gimmick. I was pleasantly surprised at how cool they actually are a couple years ago while enjoying the beautiful roads of Sequoia National Park, Calif. driving a Lexus IS350.
I still prefer my 6spd to the Automatic, but after driving Gene's (Sandman50) XF thru the Dragon, I have to admit it does make it a lot easier to negotiate those curves quickly. Not as much fun (to me) but easier.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Default Auto-Stick Makes Up for Sticky Transmission

I drive quite conservatively and normally don't use the auto-stick, but I'm glad I have it because it allows me to resolve a shifting problem. The trans in my '04 coupe (32,000+ miles) has the irritating habit of sticking in gear (any gear) once every few weeks if I cruise at lower speeds for any length of time. For example, if I'm creeping along (such as looking for a house address) for a few minutes, the trans will stay in 2nd when I accelerate. At various times it has stuck in 3rd and 4th gear too. It's not a real problem but more of an irritation as it happens so infrequently. When it does, I simply tap the auto-stick to put it back into Drive. It's been doing this since I bought the car four years ago. The trans went into limp-in last year, so I installed a new conductor plate and adapter socket and changed the ATF (Shell 134) three times (drain and refill). It works fine now but still sticks occasionally as before. I have a new trans controller ready for installation, but I can go weeks without the trans sticking in gear, so it's not crucial that I install it now. Other than this the car's been perfect and we love it. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Last edited by crymar; 11-02-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 AM

I use it here and there. More for downshifts than upshifts.

To me it's useless for upshifts since it will not upshift unless you have met the program requirements or it will upshift anyway if you get to the revlimiter.

I'd love to have 3 pedals, but I wanted a SRT6 more.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Default Re: Auto-Stick Makes Up for Sticky Transmission

Originally Posted by crymar
For example, if I'm creeping along (such as looking for a house address) for a few minutes, the trans will stay in 2nd when I accelerate.
I'm pretty sure That's the automatic downhill low gear thing. Does it to me too and once I reach the bottom of the hill I just floor it and make my passenger **** in my seat.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autostick in my Crossfire definately behaves differently than my other Mopars. I tend to use it less often with the Crossie than I do with my Hemi's.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 6 speed manual in my 2005 Roadster and love it. My 2004 Coupe has an automatic and I rarely use the Autostick feature simply because it's just too damn slow when shifting. About the only time I use it is to downshift to pass as these cars just don't want to downshift with the throttle unless you mat the pedal to the floor, and I don't always need that.

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled because my job affords me the opportunity to drive a lot of really, REALLY nice cars with truly modern automatic transmissions. The kind that will shift NOW as soon as you touch the paddle shifter behind the wheel, even rev matching on downshifts. Once you drive something that reacts like that, you'll never want to touch the Autostick again. This isn't my first Chrysler product with an Autostick, either, and I almost never used it in the other cars for the same reason.