Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine will not turn over, help

Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not turn over, help

Hoped in the crossfire today and went to turn the key and nothing. All the lights on the dash come on and the light on the wing control comes on. Also the electric fan in the engine compartment comes on when the car has been sitting for over a day. Check the battery and 13 volts, even when the key is turned to the crank position. I disconnected the battery for awhile and hooked it back up with no change.

I have read about the engint control module but most of the guys who have had that problem, have the engine turn over but does not fire. Any ideas ?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Engine will not turn over, help

It could show 13 volts but still not have enough amps to turn the motor. Might want to take the battery to Autozone and have them test it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems this topic is coming up more and more lately. Some of our members have reported that the relay control module has been the culprit. Just search RCM or mystery no start and you can find the post. However after resoldering my RCM my car is still not cranking sometimes. I checked the RCM thoroughly and it is not malfunctioning. For the majority of the time my car will crank when cold and not crank after being driven a bit.
P.S. I have a new verifiably good battery.

The following users liked this post:
CaughtInaXF (11-30-2022)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Crank and no start - Check the Crank Position Sensor

No crank and no start (duh) - Check the Relay Control Module

Just had another RCM sent to me. Same problem as in previous RCMs.

You folks that have your cars stored for the winter, this would be a good time to check your RCMs.
Remember that it's hard to see with the naked eye. Magnify to really get a good look at it.

Last edited by tighed1; 01-29-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular

You folks that have your cars stored for the winter
And, as obvious as it may seem, I hope you put a fuel stabilizer such as STA-BYL in the tank and ran the car a few miles before you parked it

Check out this thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
It seems this topic is coming up more and more lately. Some of our members have reported that the relay control module has been the culprit. Just search RCM or mystery no start and you can find the post. However after resoldering my RCM my car is still not cranking sometimes. I checked the RCM thoroughly and it is not malfunctioning. For the majority of the time my car will crank when cold and not crank after being driven a bit.
P.S. I have a new verifiably good battery.
Chuck, I have been having the similar problem for a year. Mine only acts up when it is cold though. It turns out that when I am cranking I am at 11.9v and that is marginal. I havent found the culprit yet that is dragging my voltage down... when the car is good and hot, it never has a starting problem.....

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular

Temperature is definately a factor with mine. When the weather gets better I am going to check all grounds and the starter/solenoid. If its not there it may be in the ignition switch or somewhere else. The first time it happened to me I would get a light click when trying to crank and everything else would be functioning normally. Sometimes if I hold the key in the start position long enough it will magically decide to crank. Some may not know that the starter is electronically controlled. If you turn the key to start for just a split second the starter will spin until the car cranks(at least thats what mine used to do).

Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM

buy a new battery.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM

Put it in Park.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:58 PM

load tested the battery and it is fine, Ran the shifter up and down and pack in park, and still nothing. The next thing is to take out the control module and look at it.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 PM

Reading the other post, I can not belive the electrical issues people have with these cars, mystery non-start, wing goes nuts, dash warning lights, error codes, etc. I did not know I had a Italian car.

Last edited by Karl Von; 01-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Von
Reading the other post, I can not belive the electrical issues people have with these cars, mystery non-start, wing goes nuts, dash warning lights, error codes, etc. I did not know I had a Italian car.
I agree that there are issues that are easily diagnosed as many others have reported the same problem, but I would not say that it is out of the norm for any car. There are several members that have issues, but consider that you do not hear the thousands of other members come on here and post... "What a wonderful electrical system. I have never had a problem". Point is.... people post when they have a problem. That does not make it a systemic problem that the majority of users have. I would dare say that any given specific problem posted on here is experienced by less than 1-2% of owners.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM

Well, it was the control module. I re-soldered the circut board and that did the trick.

Thanks for the info

Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad it worked for ya!

EVERYBODY check out yer RCM before you too get stranded!

THAT'S AN ORDER!!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM

I have had the issue while driving at 70 mph and car loses engine power as in total shut down, but still have all electrical functions. Almost got cleaned out by a semi trying to cross from the speed lane to the median 4 lanes over to the right, this has occured 3 times in the last 2000 miles, car will not fire for 5 minutes after stall, then as if nothing ever happened will turn
over as if nothing occured. dealership keeps telling me nothing wrong?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by skmaas
I have had the issue while driving at 70 mph and car loses engine power as in total shut down, but still have all electrical functions. Almost got cleaned out by a semi trying to cross from the speed lane to the median 4 lanes over to the right, this has occured 3 times in the last 2000 miles, car will not fire for 5 minutes after stall, then as if nothing ever happened will turn
over as if nothing occured. dealership keeps telling me nothing wrong?
Check the solder joints on the RCM !!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM

The problem is in the RCM, after resolder all the connections everything fine.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Well I solved my problem, I got rid of the car. no more engine check light, ESP lights and worring what is going to go next on the car. I loved the car but it is not worth the head aches. I could understand if this was a cheap kia or other low end car. I should have listen to the reviews on the car, low bid, made on the cheap and over priced. Some one elses problem now.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Von
Well I solved my problem, I got rid of the car. no more engine check light, ESP lights and worring what is going to go next on the car. I loved the car but it is not worth the head aches. I could understand if this was a cheap kia or other low end car. I should have listen to the reviews on the car, low bid, made on the cheap and over priced. Some one elses problem now.
Don't worry we'll get over you leaving us.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Don't worry we'll get over you leaving us.
I hope his car wasn't THAT much of a dud. So far, mine has been flawless - except for the bad electric lock in the trunklid - that I disabled so it won't haunt me anymore. (That little snafu cost me the last good driving day of last November, last 72F day of the YEAR, too!)

I know there are some common problems with these cars (battery can leave you stranded and ACT like it's something else, the RCM can cause at least two different failures that leave you stranded as well, the ignition key/lock can mess up disabling your favorite car, and the CPS can act up as well). But so far, mine is SO worth having.

I hope the next owner shows up here and we can help them really enjoy an interesting and somewhat rare car.

Quick Reply: Engine will not turn over, help