Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

since when do we have fiberglass bumper?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default since when do we have fiberglass bumper?

someone backed into me in a parking lot and as i was watching them i thought so what its a plastic bumper it will flex back into place, i was surely wrong when i saw the rip and notices the bumper is fiberglass, it was the rear bumper

Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: since when do we have fiberglass bumper?

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
someone backed into me in a parking lot and as i was watching them i thought so what its a plastic bumper it will flex back into place, i was surely wrong when i saw the rip and notices the bumper is fiberglass, it was the rear bumper.
~ The majority of modern plastic car bumper system fascias are made of thermoplastic olefins (TPOs), polycarbonates, polyesters, polypropylene, polyurethanes, polyamides, or blends of these with, for instance, glass fibers, for strength and structural rigidity.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Forum Regular

i was just going to add.... its not necessarily fiberglass its a different more rigid plastic! i work in a body shop and all the benz cars use the same material ive also noticed them on the 300c's and the Chargers so im guessing chrysler stole this when they were associated with benz.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My front bumper "ripped" too, its definately plastic though.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after you beat the crap out of him/her, did they at least apologize?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 AM

So is it possible to pull a dent out of our bumpers with those suction cup thingies? I finally got my XF back after many return trips tothe body shop, & the very next day, some AH taps my bumper at rush hour at a stoplight where 2 highways converge. If I'd gotten out, I'd have lost my door. Just the worst time & place. I'd had it with going back the bodyshop & prayed it was my imagination. Very slight dent, & I figure my car had 2 small dents before my accidents, so I was one dent ahead anyway.

Before I run out & get one of those suction cup things, has anyone tried them on our plastic bumpers?

Safe driving out there!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
someone backed into me in a parking lot and as i was watching them i thought so what its a plastic bumper it will flex back into place, i was surely wrong when i saw the rip and notices the bumper is fiberglass, it was the rear bumper
Yeah I realized it wasn't metal too when I tried to put a "no cone" magnet on when I was teaching my girlfriend at an autocross school in the XF.

The wing isn't metal either. At least I don't think.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM

I'd like to hear more on this too. Bump.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ The majority of modern plastic car bumper system fascias are made of thermoplastic olefins (TPOs), polycarbonates, polyesters, polypropylene, polyurethanes, polyamides, or blends of these with, for instance, glass fibers, for strength and structural rigidity.
I know this has nothing to do with the discussion but that is one fantastic looking car.
Personally I love my roadster that I recently got but that car in that color is out of this world.

Moonbeamromance

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

I know this has nothing to do with the discussion but that is one fantastic looking car.
Personally I love my roadster that I recently got but that car in that color is out of this world.

Moonbeamromance

Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM

That was for Andrew's car.

Moonbeamromance

Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kszoz
So is it possible to pull a dent out of our bumpers with those suction cup thingies? I finally got my XF back after many return trips tothe body shop, & the very next day, some AH taps my bumper at rush hour at a stoplight where 2 highways converge. If I'd gotten out, I'd have lost my door. Just the worst time & place. I'd had it with going back the bodyshop & prayed it was my imagination. Very slight dent, & I figure my car had 2 small dents before my accidents, so I was one dent ahead anyway.

Before I run out & get one of those suction cup things, has anyone tried them on our plastic bumpers?

Safe driving out there!
No, it needs to be heated up to be able to be reshaped. Here are some dudes fixing a prius bumper, the same method can be used for ours:
YouTube - Major Prius Bumper Dent Repair

Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Tried the suction cup thing with a borrowed one on a cold bumper & it didn't really work, although I swear it looks better. Going to buy one of my own & break out the trusty blow dryer & see if it works with heat maybe this weekend. The Prius bumper video was amazing.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM

Yea, the bumpers are urethane for the most part, no fiber reinforcement at all. I know this because ive gone through a front and rear bumper.

The only things that arent metal on the car are the bumpers, sideskirts, and wing