Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

100k Tune Up?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100k Tune Up?

Hello All,
I plan on keeping my Crossfire for a long time and would like to take care of any wear/maintenance items since I am coming up on 100,000 miles. I glanced through the owners manual and there were only two items mentioned. Antifreeze and Plugs. I have replaced the following in the last few months and would like to know if there would be any other items I should be looking at? I think I have covered most of them, but I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Shocks
Steering Stabilizer
All fluids
Spark Plugs/wires
Tensioner/idler pulleys
Thermostat/Water pump/hoses (except heater hoses)
All intake/valve cover breather hoses
Front Rotors/front and rear Pads
Cabin Filter
Crankshaft Position Sensor
RCM repair (thanks for the instructions!)
Valve cover gaskets/breather cover reseal

I have the fuel filter, but have not yet replaced (I noticed the manual calls for a replacement at 60,000). So I will either be early, or way overdue depending on how the previous owner did maintenance.

Also, should I be concerned with the Camshaft Position Sensor? I noticed it is not often a failed part, but should I have one on hand just in case, or does this hardly ever fail?

I had it aligned and specifically asked if they noticed any bushing wear. They said it all looked good, but I would think there should be some wear at 100k?

On a side note. I replaced with the brake fluid with cheap (all they had) dot 4 "Brake Best" thinking any new brake fluid would be better than unknown possibly original brake fluid... Not true. I thoroughly bled the brakes and clutch and now when I am on the highway for more than ten minutes without shifting my clutch pedal becomes hard to push (about 3-4 times harder than normal). I would think failing slave cylinder, but it did not do this even on a 45 minute to 1 hour trip prior to changing the fluid. I am planning on swapping it out with Castrol SRF. Any other recommendations or thoughts? I am not overly concerned with changing out the clutch (it will have to be done sooner or later). But since everything seems to function great except for the first clutch depress off the highway, I think I will hold off on swapping it out for now. This does vary in intensity depending on heat, on the way to work when it is cooler it is hardly noticeable on the way home it is very noticeable. I need to address this before we get into the 100+ days here.

Thank you for your input!
Ryan

Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: 100k Tune Up?

I get the idea that, like me, you are experienced at keeping cars running past 100,000 mile . My last 3500 mike trip in my pickup was done at 232,000 miles. The second owner has 408,000 on it now.

Cam sensors fail, but kinda rarely.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Hi pizzaguy! I am experienced due to necessity when I was younger (all I could afford), because of this I do not mind buying a higher mileage vehicle now and working my way through it. The problem is I run out of things to tinker with so I end up looking for another vehicle. Although I think this is one I want to keep for a very long time, the Crossfire jumped quickly to #1 of most liked vehicles. It is great looking, has plenty of power, excellent handling and is surprisingly easy to work on IMHO.

Oh, and I forgot to give credit where it was due. Thanks to the forum member(s) who said to use the new water pump or a cardboard cut out for keeping track of the water pump bolts - I would have confused one or two for sure.

I will watch Amazon for the Camshaft sensor, if the price drops I will pick one up - but otherwise I will just wait and see what happens.

If you remember anything that I may have overlooked, let me know - like possibly the things that are used in place of u-joints? Do those go out gradually, or do the just fly apart? I am not brutal on with my vehicles, but I do drive "spirited" on occasion. Plus I am planning at least one track day, so I want to make sure there are no surprises.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 PM

By camshaft sensor you mean the crankshaft sensor right? They only cost $50 or so...

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No.. he means cam sensor.. we have one.. (front of engine just right of center) LOL. They don't seam to go out very often at all.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you on necessity...my first car was $650. My 2nd car needed even more work to keep it on the road LOL.

With that history of frequent breakdowns in mind, I put together a spares list you might find entertaining.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 PM

That is an impressive list! Thanks, I will save it for future reference.

Also, I am sure the majority of you have already picked out your favorite tools, and have what you need. I just wanted to share that I have not found a "specialty" bolt with my short list of minor repairs that I did not have the correct size for from this set:

42 Piece Drive and Torx Set: Turn it Tight with Sears

I bought mine as "used" years ago for $20ish thinking it would be nice to have if I ever needed it. Well - I have use for it now!

Ryan

Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you serviced the transmission yet, but I remember it being suggested to use 5W-20 oil instead of trans fluid. Can't recall for sure since I rarely work on a manual trans car here.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Hi Chuk,
Thanks for the suggestion, I have already changed out the fluid in the transmission and rear differential. You are correct, the manual transmission calls for 5w20. I used Red Line full synthetic off of a recommendation on an older post. Smoothed out my shifts noticeably when the engine is up to temperature - not much difference when cold though (still have to take an extra second or two to go into 1st at a stop).

Ryan

Old 07-02-2015, 02:07 AM

Crankshaft position sensors fail regularly on 112/113 motors but I have not done a camshaft position sensor. Front lower control arm bushings tend to need replacement around 100k as do front lower ball joints. The flex discs (where the trans mounts to the driveline and the driveline mounts to the rear diff) will crack and eventually tear. If the car has been abused, they'll likely be due. If it's been driven gently, they should go for a while still. Pretty much all of these engines weep at the rear main but it's usually not worth addressing until it becomes a serious leak.