Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hawaii 5-OH CRAP!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawaii 5-OH CRAP!

Well after $4600 in repairing the front end due to a drunk "designated driver" and moving to Hawaii, she has been wrecked again. 12 years of driving and my first "at fault accident". I rear ended a guy going about 55, he was stopped (ON THE EXPRESS WAY). Hood, bumper, headlights, and LT fender are damaged. My car overheated and now I hear a loud knocking...I dont know if my insurance will cover the engine because I drove the car to work b/c there was no overheating noticed until i got back home.

I think with a bad engine it will be "totaled" but if State Farm wont cover the engine, I'm stuck with a knocking $500 a month time bomb. I'm in hawaii so parts are very limited to do a "Lantana" type conversion, even though I would love to and have the cash. I dont know what to do.

I can get a cheap crate engine 350 and bypass EVERYTHING electronic in the car...I think...but i need options. OPINIONS, ENGAGE!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hawaii 5-OH CRAP!

Sorry to say it, but it is probably totalled anyway. And it would really surprise me if it was not cost prohibitive to have parts (hood and front clip) shipped to Hawaii, if you can even find them.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM

i dont know that it would be totaled without the engine....i just have a feeling that they wont want to cover the engine. id hate to be stuck with my baby and the engine be junk.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be quite honest, the first $4600 probably was right on the edge of totaling and between hood, fenders, headlights, etc you are already above the $5K mark on this accident as well, and that is with no engine or frame damage. All I am saying is that I would be shocked if they pay to repair this thing again, and as I stated, since parts are hard to get and there are probably none on the islands, it would be very costly to fix this car correctly....

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 AM

Are you on Oahu? Yeah there aren't very many parts here. Well there aren't very many crossfire's so it makes since

Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM

Dont tell the insurers you drove it after the accident to over heat it???? theres an option they would not be any the wiser and would not even think to question it. If you left the engine running for a short while after the crash it could have overheated then without you even realising. Not trying to be dishonest but they sure as hell would not pay out if you modified it, even slightly, without telling them!!!

Having worked in insurance for over 10 years one thing I know is that less information is best. You smashed your car up, your fault, please come fix it. Upto them then to determine the damage and what caused it. 9 times out of 10 they dont question as it costs too much time and money to do so.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular

our insurance covered our 05 Roadster limited after hit by a train. They gave us a fair price. We went out and bought another as close as we could to our 1st one. We had less than 2 yrs left to pay for the car. We added 1 more year of payments (3 yrs now)to our loan with a lower intrest rate. The 1 year extra payments, helped us, find another car, travel to the replacement car (16hours round trip by car), drove it home, and buy a set of 4 "true" winter tires (blizzaks)and rims to mount them on. It was not to bad, just a lot of stress trying to get back to the before it all happened.
Plus side now.....met lots of good people here, and our "twin" crossfire now has new winter tires, and cool looking summer rims. Oh yeah, our new baby has about 13,000 less miles on the OD.

Maybe something along that could work for you??
No reason to keep it, if it's that bad.
Only concern I guess I would have is.
Will the car go to a scrap yard and get parted out for good usable parts, or a squash box right away? With the rarity of our cars, I'd hate to see it cubified. I feel real bad that our 1st XF had nothing savagable.