Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looks like I'll be giving the dealer more to do.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looks like I'll be giving the dealer more to do.

Just was driving back from the dealer after ordering a new fog light access door (or what they call a "splash shield") and having them order a new windshield shroud for a warranty replacement, since mine is faded and looking terrible.

I guess replacing the shroud isn't the only thing they'll be doing. At low speeds (10 to15 mph, up to 25ish), if the steering wheel is turned to the right a few degrees (no braking), squeaking comes from the front of the car. Now this is obviously a steering and/or suspension problem, but I have no idea what's actually wrong. Anyone else have an idea?

Another thing I'm going to have them look at is a tapping/clicking sound coming from the passenger/right side interior, from what it sounds like, back behind the glovebox (where you put your feet; couldn't find an easy way to describe that). I'm thinking it's something electrical, as it only does it when the car is on. Every time I try to record it, the noise stops, or I would post a link to it.

If anyone can help identify these problems, it would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 06-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looks like I'll be giving the dealer more to do.

Do you have a part number for the splash shield? Was it driver or passenger?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Do you have a part number for the splash shield? Was it driver or passenger?
Driver's side part # 05097959AA
Passenger side part # 05097958AA

Edit: I mixed them up. Now they're corrected.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 06-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM

My 07 Coupe is in for the same squeak and there are many posts about it all without any real help as to the actual problem from what I can see, the dealer says they are unable to replicate it yet I can everytime i driver the car. So waiting for them to invistigate further.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trimmy
My 07 Coupe is in for the same squeak and there are many posts about it all without any real help as to the actual problem from what I can see, the dealer says they are unable to replicate it yet I can everytime i driver the car. So waiting for them to invistigate further.
I replicated it many times while driving home. I'm very meticulous and "OCD" when I find something wrong with my car. I'm sure I can "replicate" it for them, and if they still deny that it exists, I'll smack them. They would deserve it.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
I replicated it many times while driving home. I'm very meticulous and "OCD" when I find something wrong with my car. I'm sure I can "replicate" it for them, and if they still deny that it exists, I'll smack them. They would deserve it.
haha smacking one stealership at a time. good man.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmrzljak

lol stealership...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck on them fixing a squeak. I've never had success with any dealer of any car make on squeak identification and elimination. As a matter of fact, they usually break positioning pins and forget to put all the screws back causing worse problems in the future when they try. But you have my support and admiration for your efforts.

Les

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Good luck on them fixing a squeak. I've never had success with any dealer of any car make on squeak identification and elimination. As a matter of fact, they usually break positioning pins and forget to put all the screws back causing worse problems in the future when they try. But you have my support and admiration for your efforts.

Les
You will notice squeaks less and less as you get older, the simple reason is you get deafer and deafer. For a real quiet ride you take of the hearing aid and the car is like a Rolls Royce.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM

HopE this isn't your problem but my recent front squeak turned into a steering problem which turned into a 3500 steering gear replacement.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jaded541
HopE this isn't your problem but my recent front squeak turned into a steering problem which turned into a 3500 steering gear replacement.
I that case, I'll smack them double if they deny that they hear it. I'm coming to the end of my original warranty, so I would like them to fix what needs to be fixed now, that way I don't end up screwed.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You will notice squeaks less and less as you get older, the simple reason is you get deafer and deafer. For a real quiet ride you take of the hearing aid and the car is like a Rolls Royce.
onehundred80, that is true, as I've had to point out to my grandfather that his brakes on his Toyota are warped and the calipers are stuck. He had no clue. I couldn't take my mind off of it when I borrowed the car.

Too bad at my young age that I'm not deaf enough. Guess I have to listen to more loud music and shoot some guns without ear protection. That'll fix the squeak.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmrzljak
I do my best. I may be tempted to literally backhand them if they deny hearing this squeak though. It's ridiculously obvious.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded541
I cannot see spending that much money on "the steering gear".
Only one part squeaks, you replace it and you are done, seems to me they changed every part at you expense.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM

I've also had the same squeak as described that was just recently fixed.

It was reported to be a combination of rust and warped rotors that caused the break pad edge to rub the rotor as it went around.

Can't tell you how glad I am to have that super annoying squeal gone. It was getting embarrassing.

The dealer shop that I previously had no confidence in fixed it plus another issue with the driver window stop that a well respected dealer shop said couldn't be fixed.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joebird
I've also had the same squeak as described that was just recently fixed.

It was reported to be a combination of rust and warped rotors that caused the break pad edge to rub the rotor as it went around.

Can't tell you how glad I am to have that super annoying squeal gone. It was getting embarrassing.

The dealer shop that I previously had no confidence in fixed it plus another issue with the driver window stop that a well respected dealer shop said couldn't be fixed.
I do have a squeak with my brakes, but multiple dealers and an independent shop say there's nothing wrong with my brakes and it's merely because the semi-metallic compounds of the pads (I have the OEMs on still) it will continue to make squeals until I change them.

I doubt yours and mine are the same thing. Mine only happens when turning right slightly at low speeds. I would think it would either be that steering gear or maybe a bearing. I have no real clue though.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Splash shields that cover the fog lights, just in front of the wheels, are inter-changeable. Just turn them upside down.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
onehundred80, that is true, as I've had to point out to my grandfather that his brakes on his Toyota are warped and the calipers are stuck. He had no clue. I couldn't take my mind off of it when I borrowed the car.

Too bad at my young age that I'm not deaf enough. Guess I have to listen to more loud music and shoot some guns without ear protection. That'll fix the squeak.
Too bad you are too young to have been on a U.S. Army rifle range, as I was in '59. Firing a M1 rifle along with a dozen other guys, then, pulling targets while bullets were flying around the pit. At least the VA gave me hearing aids at no cost, im still quite hard of hearing though, if I got squeak in my 05 limited, I dont know it.