Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Please Help New Xfire Owner

Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help New Xfire Owner

I just recently was given a 2004 crossfire limited in alabaster white, very sharp car. I love this car a lot but have a big problem my horn stopped working all of a sudden. i barely ever use it but it still upsets me (it's not safe to have no horn) I have replaced the #9 horn fuse by drivers side under hood and even replaced #6 fuse by the battery that is in a large black box because i saw a post that said it also controls horn. I do not know what to do and can't figure it out so if there are any mechanics out there can you please help me.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Default Re: Please Help New Xfire Owner

Ran a search on "horn stopped working" and got this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-working.html

Search is your friend. Hope that helps!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM

I used the search tool to figure out how to replace headlights it is helpful but i searched all the horn issue threads and replaced all the fuses but no luck yet

Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Sorry, guess I didn't read your post close enough. Search is about all I'm capable of but I'm sure one of these other guys'll chime in.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were either of the fuses blown to start with?

Key must be on for the horn to work - (just checking)

Might be the relay module - also search for "How to - Horn All of the Time"

Last edited by 70GT6; 06-13-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM

I didnt know key had to be to on but i tryed it anyway the fuse #6 in black box by battery looked kinda messed up it was black on the sides but i replaced both fuses whats a relay module sounds not good!?

BTW THANK YOU GUYS FOR HELPING ME
crossfire owners really seem like a tight knit community glad to be apart of it

Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 PM

In the box in the engine compartment - where you changed the fuse - the assembly is the Relay module.

Try unplugging and re-plugging the one marked "E" that is the horn relay.(all the way to the right in the picture on ebay)

Not saying that is what the problem is but you can see what it looks like as there is one on ebay
2004-2008 Chrysler Crossfire Relay Control Module: eBay Motors (item 160444559713 end time Jun-17-10 14:55:08 PDT)

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM

I went out and unplugged the far right set of cords in the module and no go. I never thought I would end up out in the garage under the hood of an xfire but it's cool to get to learn a little more about the car now if only that damn horn would just start HONKING!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Where is the actual horn itself at my dad said that theres a possibility some wire came loose thats attached to the actual horn

Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by XFIORR
Where is the actual horn itself at my dad said that theres a possibility some wire came loose thats attached to the actual horn
Behind the grill - but there are two so kinda unlikely.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Not sure if I saw the horn but looked at all the wires in front they dont look loose i hope there is nothing major it makes no sense that everything works great other than the horn hope I didn't mess anything up

Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can pop the front grill out by taking the four screws on the top out and then pulling it forward and reaching down and poping the tabs loose on the bottom. You will then see the horns very clearly mounted to the center post behind the grill and check the wiring.

You could then electrically test them too....

Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Unhappy Re: Please Help New Xfire Owner

I will have to do that 2mrw morn how can you tell if the horn connection is good. I didnt realize there was 2 horns so it is starting to seem hopless for my beautiful cars horn(s) to ever work. It will definatley suck to have to take this thing in and get stuff replaced. Chrysler dealership will probably cost me about everything I got which isnt much. Yeah it's to bad the don't teach this at my university.....

Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 AM

Xfiorr,

I was working in the yard this afternoon and a few beers went down easily. That being the case if I sound abrupt please don't take offense, we're glad to have new members here (like me, I'm a n00b too )
Just some observations...

First of all, the horn(s) not working IS NOT A BIG PROBLEM ON A CAR THAT WAS GIVEN TO YOU! On my first car 30 years ago, NOTHING worked. Not only that, I had to BUY that craptastic vehical. You were given a stellar piece of automotive machinery, keep your chin up just a little OK?

Second, don't give up so freakin easily! You sound like you are ready to consider it a loss and call the scrapman. Put some effort into it, you've been dealing with this issue all of 2 days right? Car still starts every time you turn the key right?

Thirdly, what *DO* they teach at your university, any punctuation, how about sentence structure avoiding run-ons)? Anything? Sheesh, makes me fear for college level instruction everywhere...

Mike

Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Thumbs up Re: Please Help New Xfire Owner

MrSIX
I love my xfire but I also love when everything works, as for punctuation grammar spelling sentence structure , myself along w/ the majority of 20 year olds h8 2 type out full words let alone worry about any of that other stuff it's summer WOO HOO skool not back in session till fall so until the i will be "conserving" as much energy as possible. Anyway I am going to check some more things out w/ the horn today!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XFIORR
MrSIX
I love my xfire but I also love when everything works, as for punctuation grammar spelling sentence structure , myself along w/ the majority of 20 year olds h8 2 type out full words let alone worry about any of that other stuff it's summer WOO HOO skool not back in session till fall so until the i will be "conserving" as much energy as possible. Anyway I am going to check some more things out w/ the horn today!
I think that about sums up the future of this once, educated country.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your new car.

I'd like to offer a touch of friendly advice. While the written language may not be important to you, it is important to others. When you are seeking the help and guidance of others it is a good idea to adapt and show respect. Poorly written posts are likely to get ignored, (or at least ridiculed) and explaining the reasons for your sloppiness are not valid excuses for disrespect. I apologize if this seems harsh, know that everything counts. I've seen people get amazing job referrals from relationships built on forums like this.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Catsfire

I'd like to offer a touch of friendly advice. While the written language may not be important to you, it is important to others. When you are seeking the help and guidance of others it is a good idea to adapt and show respect. Poorly written posts are likely to get ignored, (or at least ridiculed) and explaining the reasons for your sloppiness are not valid excuses for disrespect. I apologize if this seems harsh, know that everything counts. I've seen people get amazing job referrals from relationships built on forums like this.
Well, that sums it up for me.....horn 101 session will start in 20 minutes. Please shut off all phones, as texting is not allowed, and please shut down all lap tops, as twittering is not allowed....because inattention to the detail instruction about to begin will end in failure to communicate...let alone learn anything.....

Ready?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Catsfire

Very, very well said.

By the way, to the OP, we'll help all we can, but it helps to make it easier for us ol' folks. When I am writing, I can't, physically can not leave a participle dangling...

Old 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

First thing we need to do, is establish if there is power to the horns. Four hex head screws on top of the grille can be removed, then easily undo the four tabs at the bottom of the grille, out comes the grille. The two horns are now exposed. Check connections. If connections are fine, making good contact, we need to know if there is power to them. At this point, unless Dad has a test light, or test meter...we are done. If he does test for power. This is the easy end to check for power, and I will assume, this usually gets me in trouble, assume you did check the fuse box for power as well. Just cause fuses are good doesn't mean there is power to them. Again a test light or test meter is needed. Touch the probe to one side or the other of the fuse, as you would have done with wire connections at the horn. How are you doing so far?.....

Quick Reply: Please Help New Xfire Owner