Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hit...oh sh!t

Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit...oh ****

I stop at the grocery store, innocent enough, right? ......well, backing out of the last space before the main traffic path in front of the store and WHAM, a beat to hell Chevy turning left to go behind me goes right into my rear driver's side of the bumper. I am already over 3/4 of the way out of the space with a car stopped to my right waiting for my space. Well I guess he didnt feel like waiting the extra 5 seconds it would take me to be outta his way so he tried to go behind me while I was MOVING and he had an epic fail situation on his hands. No major damage, but I do have a small and noticeable (to me) crease and had a ton of paint transfer that I managed to buff off. Not filing a claim, because damage is much less than deductible.

So damn annoying. I get so tired of people who risk hurting someone or their property because they are in a needless rush....just like the people who will weave, cut-off and harass other drivers so they can get one car in front of you in a traffic jam. Just slow down. Had to vent. Thanks guys.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Default Re: Hit...oh ****

Sorry about the damage. Some people have no respect for others, I hate that! I was trying to explain to 18 year old daughter how to pick a parking space at the mall that was safe. She must need her hearing checked because she pulled into the first open space she saw, which meant she had to back the 300 out into the traffic lane\driveway to get out of the parking space. And she wonders why she has totaled 2 cars in her short driving career!

OOPS! I hope I didn't turn this into a rant thread!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

i feel for you. it seems like almost every week i almost get hit by someone who is in a rush. just the other day i was in the passing lane and the guy next to me try to scoot over into my lane when i was right next to him. good thing i was paying attention. he ended up pushing me over onto incoming traffic but thank god no one was coming. i was so mad i got behind him and laid on that horn for like 2 minutes straight and the guy had enough nerve to flick me off. i'm usually a calm and cautious driver but i lose it when stupid things like that happen. the other week i had a young girl talking on her phone run a red light coming within inches of hitting the front end of my car. i have never had an accident or been pulled over for that matter and i plan on keeping it that way. lots of stupid drivers on the road. sorry about your luck..... i don't blame you on not filing a claim on that cause its really hard for a cop to decide who is at fault for something like that and you both might of ended up with a ticket. hope you get the car fixed

Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

no tickets in parking lots Cody, just exchange info and let the insurance companies fight it out...unless this guy was coming from a city street, then a report would be done. The best advice here is too do what was mentioned, and that is to pick your parking spot as to make it easy to exit. Our little cars are hard to see out of backing up as it is...and yes, there are a lot of @sses on the road today....they will cut you off, mainly because everyone is in such a dang hurry all the time, or texting, or whatever in their little space in the car...drive the car...leave the rest of the crap in your purse or pocket...

Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't understand, why not file a claim with his insurance? Has he agreed to pay out of pocket for your repairs?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely don't understand why you're not filing an insurance claim against the truck driver.
He hit you while you were exiting a parking spot, and you had a witness, the person that was waiting for your spot.

Unless of course it is just teeny tiny, which I can't actually imagine from the sounds of it.

BC.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

Well, based upon what my police chief neighbor told me, we would both be at fault. Since technically I was still moving when he hit me, he agreed that we would both be at fault (I gave him the long account, which is a bit more lengthy than the story I gave here. Not trying to play up the drama, but it is truly unreal to me that all that is there as a sign I was hit is a 3 inch "dent" above one of the bumper creases that really is almost totally unoticeable.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by s40guy
Well, based upon what my police chief neighbor told me, we would both be at fault. Since technically I was still moving when he hit me, he agreed that we would both be at fault (I gave him the long account, which is a bit more lengthy than the story I gave here. Not trying to play up the drama, but it is truly unreal to me that all that is there as a sign I was hit is a 3 inch "dent" above one of the bumper creases that really is almost totally unoticeable.
the chief is kinda right, it would be the insurance companies fighting it out on who is at fault, and in the end....each would probably pay for their own...both moving, both pointing the finger at the other kind of thing...we don't even do a report on private property in IN...just exchange insurance info, driver info, and do a SR21 accident form for the state, not really a report....but anyway...it could have been worse...good luck....

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You were at fault for not yielding. You were backing out of a parking space and failed to yield to on coming traffic. Same rule applies when backing out of your driveway on to the road.

I can't stand when I am driving and someone backs right out in front of me. Happens all the time because people are too dumb to yield.... and don't know it is the law that I have the right of way.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
You were at fault for not yielding. You were backing out of a parking space and failed to yield to on coming traffic. Same rule applies when backing out of your driveway on to the road.

I can't stand when I am driving and someone backs right out in front of me. Happens all the time because people are too dumb to yield.... and don't know it is the law that I have the right of way.
You are correct. Autos in the passageway have right of way over those entering, frontwards or rear. I have noticed that many drivers don't seem to know or understand this. It is no doubt, more of the 'me...entitlement' generation thing, as most I see back out in front of me as I try to pass through are 'young'.
Another danger is that in moderately empty lots; many if not most drivers are ignoring the markings altogether and just drive off in any direction they please.
I drive very defensively; and unfortunately, I find that I don't enjoy driving more and more.
I could go on about many other things, but I am betting a lot of you get the picture.
PP

Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phyrephlyte
Another danger is that in moderately empty lots; many if not most drivers are ignoring the markings altogether and just drive off in any direction they please.
I drive very defensively; and unfortunately, I find that I don't enjoy driving more and more.
I could go on about many other things, but I am betting a lot of you get the picture.
PP
Ain't that the TRUTH!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phyrephlyte
You are correct. Autos in the passageway have right of way over those entering, frontwards or rear. I have noticed that many drivers don't seem to know or understand this. It is no doubt, more of the 'me...entitlement' generation thing, as most I see back out in front of me as I try to pass through are 'young'.
PP
yes, the above is true. S40 mainly at fault, over 50%, because the car in the lane has ROW. However, the other has significant liability too because S40's car was 3/4 out, therefore was an obstruction in the roadway and it was obvious Chevy wasn't paying attention because you can't just drive into an obstruction and expect to have your insurance fix your car for say previous damages. Yes they will cover it, but you could then be dropped or have your rates jacked big time. they do know the stupid ones and who's pulling something. But that's the way these things go in parking lots and all you can do is hope you don't cross paths with these jerks.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07

Dont be so quick, he had BEEN stopped for probably 30 seconds on my left waiting for my spot. I'm assuming he saw that the vehicle to my right was waiting for my space, got ticked off that the driver on my right side was going to get the space and not him and decided to try and cut around me at the last second. I dont have the gift of ESP, so knowing that he was going to go behind me (esp. after he had been waiting for me to back out) is a bit of an impossibility. Obviously, when you factor out the other driver's lack of common sense and look at the raw rules of the road, I am at least partly at fault. I never said I wasnt. I dont think I would consider myself dumb, however you are sounding a bit dumb yourself with your putting me in your wide generalization.

..and phyrephlyte, I'm assuming my age prompted me to be placed into the "me..entitlement" classification. I never drive worrying only about myself, nor do I feel entitled to make everyone watch out for me. Depending on your age, I could classify you as part of the demographic that drives 10 below the speed limit, runs through fast food restaurant windows and spends winters in Sarasota. I dont know how you drive and vice versa, so lets not make this into a young and entitled thing.

Last edited by s40guy; 06-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

I think without being there, and not knowing all of the "facts" S40 makes a good argument. The way i would do this is to turn it in to my insurance, let them try to subrogate after these facts are developed, because the other's negligence was in swinging around behind another car and that was the precipitating cause of the accident as it is presented. I do subro work for a carrier, and I woiuld take this to arb if these facts were the case, and I think, depending on the circumstances I could see this as going 60/40 or maybe a bit better in favor of S40. Might I suggest you turn the claim into the others' carrier and let them tell you no, rather than just assuming they will say no. b You have absolutely nothing to lose by doing that.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I had a similar deal last summer. It was a backing accident as well. Cost me about 380$ to get the rear bumper repainted and the scuff mark repaired and painted. Hope everything works out for you!
Pat

Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Dont be so quick, he had BEEN stopped for probably 30 seconds on my left waiting for my spot. I'm assuming he saw that the vehicle to my right was waiting for my space, got ticked off that the driver on my right side was going to get the space and not him and decided to try and cut around me at the last second. I dont have the gift of ESP, so knowing that he was going to go behind me (esp. after he had been waiting for me to back out) is a bit of an impossibility. Obviously, when you factor out the other driver's lack of common sense and look at the raw rules of the road, I am at least partly at fault. I never said I wasnt. I dont think I would consider myself dumb, however you are sounding a bit dumb yourself with your putting me in your wide generalization.
My apology... I was referring to the jerks that just pull out of a space thinking they have the right of way. I didn't mean to put you in that category. I don't know what you did and I wasn't there so I will not judge you. But I will say that accidents do happen. You may not have seen him coming and that is ok. Accidents happen... and that is why we have insurance.

I was just trying to make a point about people pulling out of a space thinking they are in the right. I was not trying to direct that at you. The truth is I have backed out of a parking space before and nearly hit a guy speeding through the lot. Good thing I slammed on the brake! I didn't even see him until the last minute. Accidents happens!

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 06-14-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM

..and phyrephlyte, I'm assuming my age prompted me to be placed into the "me..entitlement" classification. I never drive worrying only about myself, nor do I feel entitled to make everyone watch out for me. Depending on your age, I could classify you as part of the demographic that drives 10 below the speed limit, runs through fast food restaurant windows and spends winters in Sarasota. I dont know how you drive and vice versa, so lets not make this into a young and entitled thing.
Now you are just being defensive. My comments were multiple. The first were directed at the fact you were entering a passageway, the other driver was already there. ( I would like to add that if he was at the end of the row and you were at the middle, he would get my blame also. Rushing to pass someone who is already in the process of backing out is equally wrong to backing out at your pleasure without regard to anyone that is near.

My reference to age was about driving in parking lots in any fashion that strikes. It was an addition to my thoughts. In conversation we do tend to add to the thought stream. You chose to add yourself to that criticism. (maybe that could be used against you in the parking issue)
I have no idea how old you are and referring to others as younger doesn't make me old.

My judgement of how younger drivers are conducting themselves is just that, 'my opinion'. And , it is a generalization. I do see good and bad drivers everywhere, however, in the instance I introduced , my observation is that most are younger. We have a specific shopping area where I live that is not well planned to say the least. It is actually a danger zone, hence it comes to mind in parking safety.

Everything I referred to was relavent to your subject of parking safety. You chose to be a little nasty to bring in all driving habits among all age groups , especially driving under the speed limit. You are really stretching to do that. It was your topic you should stay on it and don't be so sensitive if people find that they don't agree with you. Otherwise why post.

You and all of us should remember how damaging a parking lot can be. We can thank you for that reminder.
PP

Last edited by phyrephlyte; 06-14-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

So THIS must be the reason I only averaged 52 miles per week in my Crossfire last year....MUST PROTECT HER!!!! Too many idiots out there!

Monty

Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
So THIS must be the reason I only averaged 52 miles per week in my Crossfire last year....MUST PROTECT HER!!!! Too many idiots out there!

Monty
I was just thinking about that today. I hardly drive my car anymore. The truth is I am afraid to with all the crazy drivers today. One smack on the bumper and it will be months before I could find a part. Almost scary! Every time I drive (and I drive fast) there is always someone riding up my rear!