Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Wear bars in Michelin PS-2?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wear bars in Michelin PS-2?

I bought my '04 coupe three years ago with 37K miles on it, with Michelin PS-2s mounted. New to this type of performance tire, I couldn't figure out whether they were the originals and needed to be replaced (did these ship with Michelins?), or they were a replacement set with some life left.

My concern is, they have just a little bit of the squiggly tread left around the outside two inches or so of the contact patch, and really just seem to have the deep, straight grooves - and that's all. Is that all the tread pattern there is on these?

Muddying the waters a bit was the fact that my Crossfire has chromed stock wheels - BUT, it was a lease return. I don't believe that chrome wheels were ever offered, but would you have the wheels on your leased car chromed? FYI, The original date-of-sale was November, 2003, so mine was one of the first ones out of the box (VIN makes it one of the first 5,000 produced).

Clean Carfax, no issues there.

Just this weekend, checking the tires I noticed what LOOK like "wear bars" - the little "bridges" across the grooves in the tread, that on OTHER tires (that I have experience with) would indicate how much life is left in the tread. If that's the case with these as well, I would ASSSSSume from that inspection that these tires have a ways to go before I need to worry about replacing them, as there is as much "groove" above the bridge as below it.

So, have I got 40K on an original set of Michelin PS-2s with life left to go; or did someone wear out the stock tires and replace them with these, and then wear these down a bit as well?

Or, am I just riding on rubber overdue for replacement?

What say you, learned colleagues? I know it will just be a informed opinion, not set in stone, but that's the level of input I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wear bars in Michelin PS-2?

Try looking at the manufacturer's stamped date code that's on the side of the tires. Might give you an indication on when they were installed or at least when they were made. It's my understanding that some Crossfires came with the PS-2s if they were sold in warmer part of the U.S.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing they are replacements. Mine were in bad shape at 11000 miles and I don't squirrel around, I was pretty disappointed. I was able to pick up a new set for half price so I did that against my better judgement. They are very soft tires. I think when I finally replace them all (the fronts are about half gone at just under 14000 miles) I'll definitely switch brands. The PS2 is a nice looking tire but they just don't give you any mileage, for the price I'd at least expect 30,000 miles out of one. Probably go G Force next time around.

Nice Strat!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM

No Crossfire came with chrome wheels. There have been a few guys that have chromed theirs. In the early days about half the cars were leased. Didn't seem to stop people from putting mods on them.

Many Crossfires came with PS2s. They came to cold weather places as often as they went anywhere else. I average low 20's on a set. Would find it very hard to believe that yours are original at 40K. Google up a picture of PS2's to compare with yours. There should be 3 center line treads. The treads start out about a 1/2 inch deep. They do have wear bars but I have swapped tires before I've seen them so can't tell you what they look like.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Tires are a trade off between mileage and grip. Me personally, I'd prefer better grip than durability and therefore would choose a softer tyre compound.

If you want a tire to last longer, expect there to be a trade off in the grip department as a more durable tyre will be a harder compound, and will therefore require more heat to get them upto optmium temperature if they ever reach it on the road.

Regards the wear bars, yep the ribs in the centre tread are your wear bars. My fronts have worn on the outside edge more than the centre of the tyre which implies I have an alignment issue, i.e. positive camber as opposed to the more preferred negative camber.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Uncle Al - I have seen (a while ago mind you) brand new Crossfires with chrome plated factory wheels sitting on a dealers lot. They are rare but they do exist. That said you can send out your originals and get a return set plated. Costs around 7-800 bucks, your wheels and shipping.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
Uncle Al - I have seen (a while ago mind you) brand new Crossfires with chrome plated factory wheels sitting on a dealers lot.
Are you sure those were not a dealer installed option? Really didn't think any left Karman that way. Been wrong before. Perhaps this is another time.