Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Are there different shades of red?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Are there different shades of red?

There are for sure two reds. While Chrysler used the names "Inferno Red" and "Blaze Red" inter-changeably, they were the same red.

However, the late model red Special Edition Crossfire was a different red. It was more of a wine red. I've seen them side-by-side on several occasions and different cars each time. I wish I had taken a picture but will next time.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
There are for sure two reds. While Chrysler used the names "Inferno Red" and "Blaze Red" inter-changeably, they were the same red.

However, the late model red Special Edition Crossfire was a different red. It was more of a wine red. I've seen them side-by-side on several occasions and different cars each time. I wish I had taken a picture but will next time.
So besides the special edition crossfire (that I've never heard of) there is only one red your saying?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM

I could swear I've seen a solid red & the other red with metal flake or crystal pearl in it...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tmt345
So besides the special edition crossfire (that I've never heard of) there is only one red your saying?
Yes.

You'll see some SE's in this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...le-thread.html

Of course, each camera manufacturer's sensors read colors differently (in their jpeg conversion). So you won't be able to detect the true difference in colors of reds.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes.

You'll see some SE's in this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...le-thread.html

Of course, each camera manufacturer's sensors read colors differently (in their jpeg conversion). So you won't be able to detect the true difference in colors of reds.
How common are these SE crossfires? Are they rare and how can you tell if its a SE, would it just be listed as a limited on (for example) cars.com?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM

How common are these SE crossfires? Are they rare and how can you tell if its a SE, would it just be listed as a limited on (for example) cars.com?
SE's were only made at the very end of the Crossfire production. They were built from a combo of base, limited and SRT parts. i.e., modified SRT wheels, but no fog lights.

It's suspected that the concept was created so that Karmann could get rid of their largest stock of Crossfire parts.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Wow SE's - learn some'in new every day, cool! I bet Barrett Jackson would love one of those in about 30 years.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

DAMN! I just remembered, there is a photo of one of those cars.... I'll try to find it... of a car in the U.K.

This, right?

That's it, isn't it? And Pizza is wrong AGAIN! I said there was only one, but there WAS another red....

Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I've noticed different Crossfires in red, grey, even white that look as though they're different shades. They may have just one paint code, but parked next to each other, (even in the same light) there is a difference.
That's the case with every car. Most paint codes have a number of variants, some of them drastically different.

When I look up Inferno/Blaze Red crystal pear, paint code PRH, I get the standard and 3 variants.
Formula Alternate Selection Page | FormulaExpress | Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes

Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 AM

THAT SECOND CROSSFIRE YOU LISTED WITH THE COLOTH SEATS AND CONVERTABLE TOP IS A "SPECIAL EDITION" THE COLOR IS CALLED BLAZE RED BUT IT IS A DIFFERENT COLOR SHADE THAN YOUR OTHER RED CROSSFIRES.THEY ONLY MADE THEM IN ROADSTERS AND IN RED FOR 2006 AND 2007 I OWN ONE SO WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT????????

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 AM

I'm kind of confused as to what the red looks like in real life.

Could somebody please post a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks
Go out and look at any Chrysler automobile that is red. They used the same paint. I had a red Crossfire, till totaled and a red Dodge Magnum. I could have sworn the Crossfire was more brilliant. There is no maroon whatsoever in these colors. There is however a touch of brown in the paint that most people would not notice unless the put a 'true' red next to it.
Having said all that, I will tell you I was very disappointed in the red after I had it a while I realize how dull it looked on overcast days. But, boy was it bright in the sunshine due to the extra metalic in the paint that cost 400 extra when they were new.
After I totaled the red one I got the black that I originally wanted. I've had many black cars so I new what to expect, besides it never comes out of the garage if there is any chance of rain and I never go out of town in it. When I see one of the reds I remember how great they look, but they do disappoint with their chameleon like appearance.
Go with the black.......they are faster and handle better.
PP

Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Forum Regular

Go to the pictures in my gallery, there's a blaze red SE roadster next to a blaze red LTD roadster, and they are the same color in the flesh..............

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM

There are two red paint codes listed for the Crossfire

PVJ - Deep Coral Red Pearl

PRH - Inferno/Blaze Red Crystal Pearl

Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM

So...

the general consensus is that they look like this on an overcast day:

and like this on a sunny day:

yes?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I would agree.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM

So...

the general consensus is that they look like this on an overcast day:
and like this on a sunny day:

yes?
Yes and no. Yes... red, and other colors, look different in different lighting, especially when there are pearls, metallics or other additives (such as crushed glass or mirror) involved.

No. There are two different paint codes, two different paint formulas, for reds which are/were available on the Crossfire.

Also yes... you can take 20 Crossfires all painted with the same exact paint code and formula, in the exact same light at the exact same time, and they may all look a bit different.

That's why body shops and painters get the big bucks for fixing your car and making it look the same as before your accident. They have to match the paint, tint it, and, because they are unlikely to ever get an exact match, they blend it into your existing paint so your eye cannot pick up the variation.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Yes and no. Yes... red, and other colors, look different in different lighting, especially when there are pearls, metallics or other additives (such as crushed glass or mirror) involved.

No. There are two different paint codes, two different paint formulas, for reds which are/were available on the Crossfire.

Also yes... you can take 20 Crossfires all painted with the same exact paint code and formula, in the exact same light at the exact same time, and they may all look a bit different.

That's why body shops and painters get the big bucks for fixing your car and making it look the same as before your accident. They have to match the paint, tint it, and, because they are unlikely to ever get an exact match, they blend it into your existing paint so your eye cannot pick up the variation.
I meant besides the SE.

What is a bit different? As long as it looks hot red in the sun that would be fine for me. Would you safely say that (besides the SE) that all the reds look bright in the sun?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM

i personally think it depends on you.... Im still a paratrooper in the army; so my car is automatically airborne red. pretty sure like always, beauty is in the eye of the crossfire owner!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM

What is a bit different? As long as it looks hot red in the sun that would be fine for me. Would you safely say that (besides the SE) that all the reds look bright in the sun?
No. Think of a blood red. ... anyway, I was talking strictly from a paint guy perspective. I can walk up to 100 of the same color car, any car, with the standard for that color in my hand, compare it to the car, and never find one that matches. I spend all day dealing with auto paint and color matches. I know they are all different.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
There are two red paint codes listed for the Crossfire

PVJ - Deep Coral Red Pearl

PRH - Inferno/Blaze Red Crystal Pearl
My Mopar touch up paint cross reference says PVJ is Cognac Chrystal Pearl Coat. This was not a Crossfire color.
Crossfire Red colors are listed as Inferno Red Chrystal Pearl Coat, Inferno Red Chrystal, Blaze Red Clear Coat or Blaze Red Chrystal.
As you state the color code is PRH for the Inferno Red Chrystal Pearl Coat ('08 and '05), Inferno Red Chrystal ('07)and Blaze Red Clear Coat ('06), but is listed as ARH for the Blaze Red Chrystal for 2004 year only.
As there is a Blaze Red Chrystal color (PRH) for other cars in the 2004 year, we may assume that the ARH is different from the PRH so the Crossfires came with two shades of red, ARH and PRH.
Of course I could be totally wrong for the second time in my life.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Are there different shades of red?