Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

oil extractor

Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil extractor

well I used my Harbor freight pneumatic powered extractor on my SE. Oil was hot under normal conditions. filter was loose. operation took ten minutes. at completion I hoisted car let sit for an hour. Removed shield and drain plug. I got less than a half pint of oil. I am a believer. next is my lawnmower engines. gary

Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil extractor

Good to know. Hopefully this will encourage those (like me) that use the extractors that there is nothing to gain by crawling under the car to drain the oil. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
Good to know. Hopefully this will encourage those (like me) that use the extractors that there is nothing to gain by crawling under the car to drain the oil. Thanks for the info.
You're right but for lazy asses like me, I'm only under there once a year so it's a good time to look for any leaks, seeps and other things that can be noticed. Last oil change I found a loose coolant line clamp that was causing a very little puddle in the bottom pan/shroud. Wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arado
well I used my Harbor freight pneumatic powered extractor on my SE. Oil was hot under normal conditions. filter was loose. operation took ten minutes. at completion I hoisted car let sit for an hour. Removed shield and drain plug. I got less than a half pint of oil. I am a believer. next is my lawnmower engines. gary
OK Gary, I'm going to play "devils advocate" here.
Isn't leaving a 1/2 pint or less of dirty oil in your engine, a lot like adding a 6 oz. bottle of "Dirty oil additive" to your engine during every oil change?

I know there's 272 oz. of brand new "fresh" oil to dilute it, but let me put it this way.
What if you just paid a Certified Chrysler Dealer $150.00 to change your oil, and when your ready to drive off the service manager tells you to hold up just long enough for him to add 6oz. of dirty oil back in.
What would you say to him?

Like Sparkie, I don't mind getting up close and personal with the underside of my car every 5000 miles or so.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It sounds like you have a hoist, absolutely no excuse for an oil extractor.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by James1549
It sounds like you have a hoist, absolutely no excuse for an oil extractor.
yup.Iuse extractor on small engines. hoist no help. I am a fanatic on oil. MOBIL 1 gary besides a bunch of commercial shops use them. This was an academic exercise for my own use.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.JPG (994.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by arado; 05-10-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM

I dunno, perhaps I'm just an old school kinda guy, but, I like to drain from the bottom not suck from the top, I wanna see that last drop.

I bought a pair of ramps from my local Wal Mart (less than $40) and I have to tell you they work very well. While waiting for the oil to drain, I can pull the filter and clean and change the cartridge.

There's enough room to do the oil change and remove and replace the steering damper. These have been one of my better expenses for this car.

But to each his own -

Old 10-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Cool Re: oil extractor

Seems to me that given the choice between using ramps or an oil extraction pump, the pump is much more likely to actually get more oil from the oil pan.
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but rolling up on a ramp, with the drain plug in the front/right corner of the oil pan, would create a large area at the back of the pan that oil would not drain from.
Opinions?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jshamilton
Seems to me that given the choice between using ramps or an oil extraction pump, the pump is much more likely to actually get more oil from the oil pan.
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but rolling up on a ramp, with the drain plug in the front/right corner of the oil pan, would create a large area at the back of the pan that oil would not drain from.
Opinions?
Maybe an oil extractor could be used to get that oil in the back of the pan.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

You have a point there. My drive has a slight slope, with my home-made ramps, the cars sits level. James

Originally Posted by jshamilton
Opinions?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an extractor. 8.5 out.............8.5 in. I'm not concerned with any residual. Definitly not a half a pint left in mine. even if it were, you have more dirty residual in the engine components already, and it is very minor amount as well. Change it often enough and the "residual" oil still has a long life left in it as well. I know we are all picky on here but any small out left, if indeed it is left, isn't a problem. I know people like to drain from the bottom due to desire to possilby get anything sitting inthe bottom of the pan out with the drain event, but I think you can do that every other change or less without concern. I change my oil once a year and it usually only has about 3k miles on each change so that's in my comfort level as well. To each his own, what ever makes them comfortable. I absolutely love my extractor.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Simply stated, all Mercedes Dealerships use oil extractors seeing as how the engines are designed specifically for the extraction of oil through the dipstick tube. PERIOD.
MB has been vacuuming for years. Works great, leaves possibly less than draining as the drain plug has threads that recess up into the pan! No matter which way you tilt the car, you'll never get all the oil out of the pan unless you drop it. And no dealer is going to mandate dropping the pan on every oil change. Extraction is the best way to go.

Here's the TSB stating the approved equipment for use by dealers' service dept...

Date: March 2001

Order No.: S-SI-58.00/118

Supersedes:

Group 58

SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT

The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.

In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.

Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.

Special Note for M-class:

Due to the location of the vehicle frame and suspension components, the draining of engine oil via the engine crankcase oil drain plug is not recommended, since this can lead to engine oil coming in contact and subsequently be damaging to the rubber suspension components. Thus, it is strongly recommended to use the approved oil evacuation equipment contained in the Service Information for this purpose.

Index

1. FLACO

2. RAASM

3. BDM Engineering

4. Deutsche Tecalemit (DT)

WARNING! This approved oil evacuation equipment is to be exclusively used for the evacuation of engine oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, and differential oil only.

^ Do not use this equipment to extract caustic (i.e. battery acid) or flammable liquids (i.e. gasolines).

^ Do not expose the waste oil reservoir to any source of heat.

^ Do not perform any welding repairs on the oil evacuation equipment.

^ Wear face and hand protection when extracting engine oil of high temperature.

^ Use the oil evacuation equipment only for the extraction of oil.

^ Do not modify any of the equipment component.
I use a Mityvac to extract 8.5 qts every time. Drain the oil from underneath via the drain plug and measure how much you get. My bet is that I'll extract more up top every time.

Last edited by syfi; 10-15-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading the TSB the only detrimental effect "possible"created by changing oil thru the drain plug was a chance of getting drain oil on rubber suspension parts. Maybe because of the location of the engine in "some" Mercedes products that could be a problem. But going by the location of the Drain plug on the Crossfire, you would have to be pretty sloppy to get oil on anything but the bottom of the pan.
Also the TSB clearly states that pumps that use a tube that slides down to the crankcase through the dipstick tube shouldn't be used. Most of the extractor pumps I've seen work that way.
Personally, I think the main reason the dealers use the extractor is because it's easier and saves time, and as we all know, time is money.
My car sits flat on the ground when I change the oil.
I put 8 qts. in and I get 8 qts. out. My dipstick reads full at 8 qts. and I've never had an overfill, or low level light come on.
Just go with what ever you're comfortable with.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular

The heaviest particles of contamination will sit on the bottom of the oil pan.

Draining the oil fully from underneath is so easy on these engines, I don't know why you wouldn't.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use 2 jacks and lift car so that it has a tilt toward rt front. i like to get every last particle.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
OK Gary, I'm going to play "devils advocate" here.
Isn't leaving a 1/2 pint or less of dirty oil in your engine, a lot like adding a 6 oz. bottle of "Dirty oil additive" to your engine during every oil change?

I know there's 272 oz. of brand new "fresh" oil to dilute it, but let me put it this way.
What if you just paid a Certified Chrysler Dealer $150.00 to change your oil, and when your ready to drive off the service manager tells you to hold up just long enough for him to add 6oz. of dirty oil back in.
What would you say to him?

Like Sparkie, I don't mind getting up close and personal with the underside of my car every 5000 miles or so.

When I used my topsider, I had less then an ounce left in the motor. I found that by jacking the drivers side up after draining with the topsider, then removing the drain plug and measuring what was left. It barely came out into a Campbell's soup can, was less than an ounce. After that, I was confident I was getting most of the oil out with the topsider.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack the car? Tilt it? Slide underneath and position pan?
Are you all crazy?

I stroll out in the morning in my bath robe and slippers, pop the hood, pull the dip stick, insert the vacuum tube, pump the Mityvac a dozen times, stroll back inside and have a cup-o-joe and read the paper. 20 or so minutes later and she's done. Why do it the hard way when there is no discernible difference between what is extracted? There is just as much oil left in the bottom of the pan from pulling the plug as there is vacuuming. If you don't believe me, then drain your oil through the plug and then pull off your pan. BAZINGA. Look at all that oil left in the pan because the plug hole is detented inwords!

Ever spill that oil transferring it from the pan to a container? No problem with the Mityvac. Reverse the pump valve, insert the tube into container and pump a dozen times and booya. All clean and civilized.

One more thing...I no longer have to worry about the common problem with the plug stripping the Aluminum pan threads, nor replacing the brass washer every time (like is recommended) or having to get the right torque on the plug.

So easy a caveman could do it!

Last edited by syfi; 10-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
Jack the car? Tilt it? Slide underneath and position pan?
Are you all crazy?

I stroll out in the morning in my bath robe and slippers, pop the hood, pull the dip stick, insert the vacuum tube, pump the Mityvac a dozen times, stroll back inside and have a cup-o-joe and read the paper. 20 or so minutes later and she's done. Why do it the hard way when there is no discernible difference between what is extracted? There is just as much oil left in the bottom of the pan from pulling the plug as there is vacuuming. If you don't believe me, then drain your oil through the plug and then pull off your pan. BAZINGA. Look at all that oil left in the pan because the plug hole is detented inwords!

Ever spill that oil transferring it from the pan to a container? No problem with the Mityvac. Reverse the pump valve, insert the tube into container and pump a dozen times and booya. All clean and civilized.

So easy a caveman could do it!
+++++++++++ Ditto and exactamundo

Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I have been convinced. Next oil change will be by extraction. Another convert.