CrossfireForum.org

- CLICK HERE TO GET RID OF THESE ADS -
Go Back   CrossfireForum.org > Cars > Crossfire Coupe

Welcome to Crossfire Forum!
Welcome to Crossfire Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please
join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular

Default Re: Dead battery and key won't open door!

Interesting that your key does not unlock the door. I have a 2004 and the key will lock and unlock the door no problems without power and I have the central locking pump removed.

Chevy 5.3 swap now in progress
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
Interesting that your key does not unlock the door. I have a 2004 and the key will lock and unlock the door no problems without power and I have the central locking pump removed.
I can open my door on my 2004 with the central locking fuse #26 removed.
There are obviously contacts in the lock assembly that actuate the central locking pump when the key is turned but the driver door is opened when using the key with the central locking system disabled.
I doubt that 2004's are different so there may be a problem with the lock in the OP's car. The problem being that the lock cylinder is not connected to the lock mechanism.
Naturally Chuck Norris would have no problem with locks anyway, two suitably placed packs of plastic explosive would have the whole door off before you had time to dial a locksmith.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-16-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Smile Re: Dead battery and key won't open door!

Okay, I got into the car by using Toolman's photo of the 2 bolts holding down the hood latch (thanks). You have to have a ratchet wrench or you could spend literally hours trying to do it otherwise. It took a couple of minutes and up comes the hood! After I put the charger to it I open and closed the driver door with the key with no problem. Anyway, I'm going to run a wire from the battery to just inside the front grille with an insulator cap on it. Then, if for some reason in the future I need to put juice to the car and can't lget the hood up, I'm all set!

05 SRT Coupe
VIN# 51385
Black
06 Buick Rendezvous going
05 Jaguar XJ8L gone
02 BMW R1150RTP gone
03 BMW R1200CLC gone
03 BMW K1200LT
96 Yamaha Royal Star
12 Volt
15 Highlander coming

Last edited by ron44094; 05-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron44094
Okay, I got into the car by using Toolman's photo of the 2 bolts holding down the hood latch (thanks). You have to have a ratchet wrench or you could spend literally hours trying to do it otherwise. It took a couple of minutes and up comes the hood! After I put the charger to it I open and closed the driver door with the key with no problem. Anyway, I'm going to run a wire from the battery to just inside the front grille with an insulator cap on it. Then, if for some reason in the future I need to put juice to the car and can't lget the hood up, I'm all set!
But can you open the car door with the fuse #26 out? That is the big question, if you can then there is no need for the wire, let us know the answer. Inquiring minds .....
If you cannot why not?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Question Re: Dead battery and key won't open door!

If I can't open the door with fuse #26 out I'll not know why? If it is supposed to work differently than it does, then I'll get the car to the dealer and let them fix it - under warranty! I'll try and get time to get that checked tomorrow and then let you know!

05 SRT Coupe
VIN# 51385
Black
06 Buick Rendezvous going
05 Jaguar XJ8L gone
02 BMW R1150RTP gone
03 BMW R1200CLC gone
03 BMW K1200LT
96 Yamaha Royal Star
12 Volt
15 Highlander coming

Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Being a curious George I went out to test mine... my hood is always up in the the garage(so the mice wont build a nest on the SC) so I pulled fuse #26. Damn the fob dosent work any more.... but the car does pick it up as I can hear it clicking trying to open the doors. Insert key and turn, driver door unlocks fine. It does not unlock the passenger door or hatch.
With the fuse in and using the key it does unlock everything....

So it seems that the OP does have another problem if his key will not unlock the door...

2005 SRT6 Aero Blue coupe
"The Aero"
1/4 mile: 11.92 secs @ 114.3mph 1.72 60'

Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
Being a curious George I went out to test mine... my hood is always up in the the garage(so the mice wont build a nest on the SC) so I pulled fuse #26. Damn the fob dosent work any more.... but the car does pick it up as I can hear it clicking trying to open the doors. Insert key and turn, driver door unlocks fine. It does not unlock the passenger door or hatch.

So it seems that the OP does have another problem if his key will not unlock the door...
That's what I have been getting at, the lock tumbler must have a part on it that connects to the lock assembly, just like the ones in the house doors. If that part is missing or not connecting the key will turn and do nothing as his does now.
I have not studied this part so this is just my guess. I could not see MB designing a car with such an obvious fault, so that's why I checked my car.
Turning the key normally operates the central locking system, with no fuse #26 the system is inoperative.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron44094
If I can't open the door with fuse #26 out I'll not know why? If it is supposed to work differently than it does, then I'll get the car to the dealer and let them fix it - under warranty! I'll try and get time to get that checked tomorrow and then let you know!
So what's the answer to this riddle of yours?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM

One quick point to think of... If you let your battery drain down to almost nothing, I would consider a new battery! Sulfation may have occured during the deep discharge and your battery may be damaged. I wouldn't risk a discharged battery, seeing as I cannot carry that OE/BE wrench in my pocket all the time. That was a GREAT FIND, that wrench access! Just a thought!

2008 XF Limited Coupe
Machine Gray Clearcoat
Dk Slate Grey/Med Slate Grey
5 Spd AutoSchtick With NAV
Continental Contitouring Contact Tires
Purchased NEW @ 23 Miles On 24 July 2009
21,380 miles as of 10/23/2014
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H7 High & Low
Descreened MAF/Debaffled Elbow
Biggest Stereo System Bang For The Buck Mod
Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic's on all 4 Wheels
NEW Chirping Siren Installed with OEM 1, I Have 2 Now!
74mm TB/74mm MAF MOD, WOW 16 June 2012
Eurocharged ReTuned 18 June 2012
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post

Mike, I pull out the #26fuse and then put it back. My keyfob still does not work at all! Now im totally kept out of my car because the battery is also dead! any advice?

Tian
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt8919 View Post
Mike, I pull out the #26fuse and then put it back. My keyfob still does not work at all! Now im totally kept out of my car because the battery is also dead! any advice?

Tian
Friend, you are quoting an old post from MikeR ( Rest in Peace ) who is only with us in spirit, but no longer in body.

2005 Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat FlipTop #59078

Link to common problem fixes and documentation

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:

Tian
Tian - you might want to look into the process of removing the hood latch as explained in an earlier post in this thread. That may be the only way to access your battery if your key won't open the door. Although, it was mentioned that a locksmith had the car open in just a few seconds, so that might be an option but make sure the locksmith knows what he is doing and doesn't set off the side airbag (per Doc's warning).

RL

2005 SRT-6 Coupe - Aero Blue
Build 5X051852

Caps installed in door speakers (less bass to the doors, more punch from the subs)
RCM solder joints re-soldered (to prevent the no start / no crank symptom)
I/C pump replaced with Bosch 010 (for a fully functioning S/C and increased "grin" factor)

"Chirp" installed for door locking (so you don't have to watch the lights flash)
EC Tuned for more "scoot factor"
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaxfire View Post
Friend, you are quoting an old post from MikeR ( Rest in Peace ) who is only with us in spirit, but no longer in body.
Sorry, im a freshmen here. Sorry for mentioning MikeR that i dont know what happened to him. I didnt mean to it. So sorry about it...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmiata

Quote:
Sorry, im a freshmen here. Sorry for mentioning MikeR that i dont know what happened to him. I didnt mean to it. So sorry about it...
Can't speak for the others.. but seeing his post referenced.. his work..etc.. doesn't hurt my feelings. I see it as "he still lives on in this forum".. as he always will.

'
'04 ALABASTER WHITE COUPE #011540
'05 AERO BLUE \ VANILLA ROADSTER #054042
'06 AERO BLUE \ VANILLA ROADSTER #061260

$5 Front Lip - $4 Radar Detector Mirror Mount
Video RCM - CPS Replacement

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiata View Post
Can't speak for the others.. but seeing his post referenced.. his work..etc.. doesn't hurt my feelings. I see it as "he still lives on in this forum".. as he always will.
^^^ THIS ^^^

The fact that it stirs something in us to see him quoted, that it makes us miss him all over again... testifies to who he was. And who he still is, to us.

Founding member and Grand Pooh-Bah of the Crossfire High Mileage Club - 107,560 and counting!
Issues so far: EGR Valve Replaced, Ignition Cylinder Repaired, Twice Resoldered RCM

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Advertisement