Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Burned blower ?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned blower ?

Hi, since a cuple of days ive had a small wining noice in the blower on the first and the second speed. And today it came smoke out of the blower and it stopt working
Have checked all fuses, ok
Ive seartch the forum and found nothing on how to replace blowermotor
Anybody out there had the same problem?
X use me, my poor english
Peter

Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Burned blower ?

I may be the motor load resistor. Do a search on this.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Same exact problem here. I turn the AC on and after being on for about 5 minutes the blower starts making a whining noise / Squeel noise. I Went under the glove box to take a look and took off the cover that leads to the AC BLOWER to check for trash etc from exterior, no trash there but noise was still there. I feel like its about to go out any day now. Hope someone can help out!

Last edited by BenzFire; 05-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is a fan controller that works like a blower resistor, there has been a lot of problems with these units, since the poor design of the blower motor inlet (under cowl) allows water to get in, thus causing corrosion in the module and shorting out. Or your blower motor could be going bad as well, like mentioned before do a thread search for some more possible reasons and or repairs. I hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Went to my local mec, and he says, when its the resistor, mainly the fan only goes on the fastest speed.
Does anybody knows the part nr of the fan at Mercedes, because the price here in europe
for a Chrysler fan is 700$ !!!!!!!!!!!!
Were is the resistor located? On the fan?
/ P

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Peter,
Read this thread.... it shows pics of ther resistor and the motor. You can access the blower easily by pulling the cover under the glove box and sliding the latches to unlock. The cabin filter is also accessable in this area and should be checked/cleaned/replaced...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...where-get.html

Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM

MikeR thanks for the info , I guess when my AC turns off and back on every 5 - 20 minutes now I know what part to replace and where to locate the resistor. (I Heard its about 65$ and easy to replace)

And Peter just in case you are still looking for the blower / Fan info
the part numer is A2028209342

I called my local Benz dealer and they wanted 380$

So as usual you dont go for the first price and you shop
around so I did and I found it for 105$ online.

link is here.
Mercedes SLK230 SLK32 SLK320 W170 Heater Fan Blower Motor-Buy Car Parts At FCP

Its the same blower / Fan that goes in the MB SLK320 models

See ya and good luck let me know how it went!

PS. Model Says 98 - 2004 but thats only for the Benz vehicles the blower / Fan fits all crossfire models.

Last edited by BenzFire; 05-31-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 AM

Thanks A LOT!!
Ive just ordered it, so now i will wait and see
Let you know later
/P

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Cool ... Let me know ..

Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 AM

Thanks everybody for helping me out, an specaly to Benz Fire to the link.
I ordered the motor and the resistor, it was the motor but i canged bouth
Did it in 1 hour with a help from a small mirrow
The perfect length of a mec would be 2 feet tall, and im Not
Again this forum is great !
Have a nice summer / Peter

Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are always happy to help!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM

Great news !!! ... Enjoy that nice cool "SILENT" AC

Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Just bought my Crossfire yesterday and this forum has been awesome. I was able to clear the check engine light in 15 seconds with a piece of sand paper to fix a ground wire. Then I moved on to the a/c -heater blower problem. This post is right on and I thought I would add a couple of poor man solutions. If the fan is not blowing, before buying a new fan motor or resistor you can try this. Take the fan assemble out completely. And try to turn the squirl cage, if it is hard to turn it may just be rust on the shaft that runs through the middle of the motor and squirl cage. I was able to shoot WD40 on both ends and tap /hit each end of the shaft to help loosen the rust. But the best trick is to take an electric drill and put it on the end of the shaft and run it up to speed for several minutes to disolve the rust on the shaft. Costs nothing to try. Also there are quite a few post on here for a clicking sound I believe that is caused by the brushes clicking on the contacts of the motor as it spins. If you look at the motor you will see two spring on the bottom of the motor, these press small magnets on to the contacts. As the magnet wears the edges get sharp and click as they cross the copper contacts. You could carefully pull the magnet back and carefully sand the sharp edge of the magnets and it would probably stop the clicking. I also discovered that if you plug in the resistor (three pronged connector backward, the fan runs on high even if the fan switch is not on. LOL it is a good reason not to be holding the squirl cage as you plug it in to test before installation because it will shoot out of your hand. Also if you need to access the fan switch itself on the center console you have to remove the radio first. I was able to do this by taking a couple of saw blades since they a thin and strong enough to fit in the slots I just ground them with a grinder to make them narrow enough to fit in the two tiny slots on the bottom corners of the radio. Make sure you grind off the teeth of the saw you are inserting or you could saw the slots wider if you are not careful. Push in about two inches, listen for the clip and then push toward the outsides of the car with the blades as you pull out and the radio will slide out. Then remove two screw behind the radio. You can pull the trim bezel out and down to gain access to the fan switch. It was a little scary because I didn't want to break it. But only two screw to release the trim.. Two more release the vent but not till after you remove the radio trim. I almost broke the vent trim tring to pop it loose before removing the bottom trim to gain access to the two additional screws the are hidden behind the top of the radio trim and can't be accessed until you remove the radio trim piece.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the nice things about owning a roadster and having the top down all the time is that you never hear the little noises and clicking. :-)

Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BenzFire
MikeR thanks for the info , I guess when my AC turns off and back on every 5 - 20 minutes now I know what part to replace and where to locate the resistor. (I Heard its about 65$ and easy to replace)

And Peter just in case you are still looking for the blower / Fan info
the part numer is A2028209342

I called my local Benz dealer and they wanted 380$

So as usual you dont go for the first price and you shop
around so I did and I found it for 105$ online.

link is here.
Mercedes SLK230 SLK32 SLK320 W170 Heater Fan Blower Motor-Buy Car Parts At FCP

Its the same blower / Fan that goes in the MB SLK320 models

See ya and good luck let me know how it went!

PS. Model Says 98 - 2004 but thats only for the Benz vehicles the blower / Fan fits all crossfire models.
Hello benzFire. I have a 2005 LTD Coupe and having blower moter issues. I ordered and chaged the blower resistor which did not do the trick. I'm considering the blower motor now from the website you recommended. even though it says it is for 98-2004, you think it will fit the '05 Crossfire? Thanks!!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Hello and thanks . But i´ve already change the blower, i,ve got it from another link, think it was FTB or FCB they sell european parts in the US
ATB Peter

Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Road King Custom
Hello and thanks . But i´ve already change the blower, i,ve got it from another link, think it was FTB or FCB they sell european parts in the US
ATB Peter
Thanks for your quick reply. Was the car you installed it in later model year than 2004?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Jemidy, Yes .. The blower says 98 - 04 Mercedes Benz Vehicles but they used that same Motor/Blower for ALL the Chrysler Crossfire models ever made from 2004 - 2008
so yes it will fit your 05

Good Luck!