Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies

For well over a year now my passenger front blinker has been dysfunctional due to corrosion building up where the bulb meets the socket. The drivers side blinker was also soon to have the exact same problems. I believe this damage was due to an a insufficient ground of an aftermarket audio installation. The grounds have since been re-prepped and properly secured to the frame/body.

Unfortunately, the parts I needed only come as the whole headlight assembly unit. I finally mustered up enough money and courage to make the purchase. Both the left and right side assemblies were secured by the dealer within a couple days, and then installed within an hour or two. My Crossfire is an 05 with 75,000 miles on it had spent a few years down in the Dallas sun to accumulate UV damage before my purchase back in May 2010.

Up until the installation I was having second guesses as to whether or not I would be getting my money's worth. Needless to say I have had close to dozen people go out of their way at (gas stations, drive thru's, etc...) to compliment me on the car and its condition making remarks such as "It looks brand spanking new". Before the replacements I may have gotten a single compliment on a monthly basis.

Next Friday I am having a product by the name X-Pel (2005 Chrysler Crossfire X-Pel Headlight Protection - 3m Headlight Protection Film, Clear Headlight UV Lens Protector) installed by a authorized dealer in hopes of prolonging the longevity of the new assemblies, because they sure as hell were not cheap. This kit will cover the main assemblies, side markers, and fogs $100 installed.

Before

After

Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies

Looks great. Really nice to see people taking care of older cars. You will love the covering on the lights. It really does a great job of eliminating piting due to road debris. I have it on all my cars except the work van and you can really see the difference over time. On the Xfires, I have it on the door edges and behind the wheels on the lower panel.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
Looks great. Really nice to see people taking care of older cars. You will love the covering on the lights. It really does a great job of eliminating piting due to road debris. I have it on all my cars except the work van and you can really see the difference over time. On the Xfires, I have it on the door edges and behind the wheels on the lower panel.
The shop owner walked me in back where they were applying a similar covering to the front bumper and side mirrors of a new forester. He explained that somehow the film still allows for normal UV aging of the paint to ensure that once the covering is taken off your red bumper doesn't end up with a pink car . If I were to ever purchase a vehicle new or in near flawless paint condition, I would for sure look into having it applied myself.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure does look real clean now!
I have the same product on my headlights and fog lights... you can tell that the film has taken all the abuse and the lenses are protected. I've had it on my car since new and will soon be replacing them do to the pitting on them.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Want to sell those old horribly aged and unusable headlights ?
Maxcichon and myself might be able to bring them back to life and then rescue some other poor Crossie soul that has lost one or the other.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Want to sell those old horribly aged and unusable headlights ?
Maxcichon and myself might be able to bring them back to life and then rescue some other poor Crossie soul that has lost one or the other.
I do believe we may be able to rescue those. It would be nice to have a stock of them repaired somewhere for the unfortunate. I would be willing to put in the time and materials for this. Any takers (givers)?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=alaxfire]Want to sell those old horribly aged and unusable headlights ?
Maxcichon and myself might be able to bring them back to life and then rescue some other poor Crossie soul that has lost one or the other.[/QUOTE}]

Unfortunately the dealer disposed of them

JUST PLAYING... They are currently sitting in the "new" OEM boxing, bubble wrapped and waiting for a new home. Anyone who is serious about restoring them back to working order send me a PM.

Last edited by blackbelt_010892; 12-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM

You are a sick man! Alxfire and I will talk about this (we are both poor, dumb southerners) and see if we can scrape together enough to buy them.

Please keep in mind that this would be a "for the benefit of mankind" effort. Or, at least for the benefit of forum members who need help. No profit involved.

It might be worth thinking of setting up an exchange program...

George, what's your take on this?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon

George, what's your take on this?
Just what I was thinking too, I'm not in for profit, other than the satisfaction of helping forum members.

( PM was sent yesterday )

Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by blackbelt_010892

JUST PLAYING... They are currently sitting in the "new" OEM boxing, bubble wrapped and waiting for a new home. Anyone who is serious about restoring them back to working order send me a PM.
PM sent yesterday

Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM

OK guys and gals, these are spoken for, we are working out terms ....

( I will post after Max and I have a look and see if they can be resurrected ..... )

Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Perhaps we can be to headlights what tigh1d is to RCM's ......

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Perhaps we can be to headlights what tigh1d is to RCM's ......
That's kinda' what I was thinkin'...See ya' soon?

Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 AM

Does anyone know what new headlight assemblies cost now?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sayboo4
$360 - $750 EACH , depends on where you find them.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I know y the chinese havent come up with an aftermarket headlight for our crossie. They couldn't come up with something that's already quiet unique in appearance and there is just not enough cars to justify the cost of developping one

Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sayboo4
I paid $1350 for the parts alone... that was the best price I could get from a dealer in the KCMO metro. Mopar includes the usual 12 month 12,000 miles warranty.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@ the OP: beware of the xpel film, or any protective film that will go on your headlights, if installed incorrectly, or even if installed correctly, those types of films can cause spider cracks in your headlight lenses that will be permanent. Would hate for you to ruin those new (and expensive) headlights after only a few months of use. Yes, X-Pel headlight protection film is touted by many as sure fire way to stop UV hazing and protect from chips. When I bought my SRT-6 (which I ensured the car I ultimately bought had clean headlights - it was a priority of mine, I passed on a cheaper SRT 10 miles from my house that needed its headlights majorly restored (but I wanted to replace them fully), for a more pricey car that was 400 miles away but in pristine condition), I went straight to the X-Pel website and purchased the film for our Crossfire. However, after doing some research, I found that certain types of plastics used by manufacturers in headlights now expand and contract constantly when running hot (with the lamps on). When you place the a plastic film on top of the plastic, as it expands and contracts from the heat the constriction of the plastic film puts tension on the plastic of the headlamps, causing spider cracks that are permanent and are impossible to get rid of. From what I have read, this problem is worse on VW, Mercedes-Benz headlights than on some others manufacturers.

I canceled my order and instead invested in some UV protectant seal, specifically I bought the Wolfgang UV Plastic Protectant, which is supposed to be good for 6 months, after which you re-apply.

There are many threads out there about this problem, take your time and do the research before getting the film: Headlight cracks from overlays/protection film - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by mrobinso
@ the OP: beware of the xpel film, or any protective film that will go on your headlights, if installed incorrectly, or even if installed correctly, those types of films can cause spider cracks in your headlight lenses that will be permanent. Would hate for you to ruin those new (and expensive) headlights after only a few months of use. Yes, X-Pel headlight protection film is touted by many as sure fire way to stop UV hazing and protect from chips. When I bought my SRT-6 (which I ensured the car I ultimately bought had clean headlights - it was a priority of mine, I passed on a cheaper SRT 10 miles from my house that needed its headlights majorly restored (but I wanted to replace them fully), for a more pricey car that was 400 miles away but in pristine condition), I went straight to the X-Pel website and purchased the film for our Crossfire. However, after doing some research, I found that certain types of plastics used by manufacturers in headlights now expand and contract constantly when running hot (with the lamps on). When you place the a plastic film on top of the plastic, as it expands and contracts from the heat the constriction of the plastic film puts tension on the plastic of the headlamps, causing spider cracks that are permanent and are impossible to get rid of. From what I have read, this problem is worse on VW, Mercedes-Benz headlights than on some others manufacturers.

I canceled my order and instead invested in some UV protectant seal, specifically I bought the Wolfgang UV Plastic Protectant, which is supposed to be good for 6 months, after which you re-apply.

There are many threads out there about this problem, take your time and do the research before getting the film: Headlight cracks from overlays/protection film - MY350Z.COM Forums
I'm sorry, but this is bunk. Read the posts within the thread:

Headlight cracks from overlays/protection film - MY350Z.COM Forums

And you will find that the lenses they are speaking of a very thin, flexible sheets. Not the PMMA (or Lexan/polycarbonate) that we use.

And they are also speaking of colored overlays. I have Lamin-X on mine and will swear by it.

Just an opinion.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinso

I have used X-pel protective film on my Crossfire and 300C. The film has been on both vehicles for 5 years, still looks brand new.

Quick Reply: Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies