Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

I decided that I didnt much care for the silver and chrome. Since I had Carbon Fiber wrapped the Window Trim and slasher stripes I figured I would try the Plasti-Dip for everything else. I love the flat black look for everything, and 18 bucks is hard to beat for the improvement in looks. The point to the Plasti-Dip is to eliminate unwanted labor, so no masking is actually needed. It took 2 hours including clean up. The over-spray just wipes right off, and the rubber coating withstands the desert sand blasting and rain (both of which it has been exposed to already). I will be sure to post any issues I come across and overall durability in the months to come. Anyway here are some pics...

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

I must say....... I love it!

I wrapped all the exterior silver and chrome bits on my car in flat black vinyl after mounting a set of flat black TSW Donington wheels to my Aero Blue roadster. Tell us more about this Plasti-Dip stuff. Did you have to take all the parts off the car to use it? What is involved in the prep work?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
I must say....... I love it!

I wrapped all the exterior silver and chrome bits on my car in flat black vinyl after mounting a set of flat black TSW Donington wheels to my Aero Blue roadster. Tell us more about this Plasti-Dip stuff. Did you have to take all the parts off the car to use it? What is involved in the prep work?
I would love to explain it. It is the easiest thing I have ever done. Plasti-Dip is spray on rubber, it is about $9/can, and comes in many colors. It took two of these cans to do everything...

Amazon.com: Performix PLASTI DIP Intl. Mulit-Purpose Rubber Coating Spray BLACK 11oz: Automotive

I used "Tuff Stuff" to clean the surfaces of both emblems/strakes/door handles and the grill.

Then I took masking tape and made a square/rectangle about 1 inch all the way around the object (except the rims obviously). You then spray to fill the inside of the square you made about 3-4 light coats until it is all even (dont worry about overspray, this is why this stuff was made). It will come out textured at first and look horrible but dont worry.

I gave it a casual smoke break between coats. Another casual smoke break and it is dry.

At this point you peel off the tape and like a sticker the Plasti-Dip will start peeling. Take and peel off slowly from the outside square. The Plasti-Dip will peel off the excess but not the object, go slow just in case.

After all of that you take a towel (I use micro-fiber) and wipe off the over-spray. The time it would take to mask off everything is more time than it took to wipe off the overspray.

The rims I took off, but again dont mask off the tire it will just peel off. I sprayed 3-4 light coats until it looked even. Once dry I took a toothpick to lift the edge enough to grab it and then peeled all of the excess off the tire.

All done.....Very very easy. If you dont like it take a toothpick lift a piece up enough to grap it and peel it off and start over.

I have seen videos on youtube of people pressure washing the emblems after putting these on at about 6 inches away and it was fine. Like I said so far the Plasti-Dip on mine has seen sand blasting from 30ish mph winds in the desert and rain.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. It looks like it comes in different colors that cam be mixed. Think I might get some and try it on some tools and stuff. Not on the car just yet. It looks good on your car. Thanks for posting. Update us in a couple of months. Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by joejet
Very interesting. It looks like it comes in different colors that cam be mixed. Think I might get some and try it on some tools and stuff. Not on the car just yet. It looks good on your car. Thanks for posting. Update us in a couple of months. Thanks
They have two versions, one in a aerosol can and the other liquid dip. It was originally made for tools, you just dip the handle in to have rubber if the tool didnt already. People have told me its been around since the 70's. No problem for the post and I will definately update as time moves along. Its been 3 days and I have gotten more compliments and curious eyeballers than in the 8 months I have owned the car.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It does look nice, and I like the fact that it's different. My only "complaint" is that the wheels are so black they disappear. But I'm sure that effect is less dramatic when seen in person.

Overall, I really like it and you can't beat the price.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
It does look nice, and I like the fact that it's different. My only "complaint" is that the wheels are so black they disappear. But I'm sure that effect is less dramatic when seen in person.

Overall, I really like it and you can't beat the price.
Thanks John, it is different. In person the rims look like the gunmetal black. The pictures were during overcast, I might take some more but I figure Ill wait a month or two. My biggest complaint is the texture, some people I have shown like it, but Im not sure either way. It feels like fresh rubber on new tools.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasti-Dip is awesome! I painted the grille on my E92 335i with that stuff and it held up pretty well

Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM

I wonder if it would withstand the temps underhood?

I hate my hoodliner, but I don't like the exposed primer either... this could work if it will take the abuse...

Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I wonder if it would withstand the temps underhood?

I hate my hoodliner, but I don't like the exposed primer either... this could work if it will take the abuse...
The can says it is good up to 200*F. Im not really sure what temp the hoodliner would see.....

Old 12-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of the blacked out look myself..but glad you posted this. I'm custom fitting an old Saab cubby off Ebay to replace my cup holder and guess what will work perfect for coating the inside of it . Sounds like it would be an ideal coating for the fender wells also.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Not a fan of the blacked out look myself..but glad you posted this. I'm custom fitting an old Saab cubby off Ebay to replace my cup holder and guess what will work perfect for coating the inside of it . Sounds like it would be an ideal coating for the fender wells also.
Yep! and it comes in pretty much any flat color. Originally I was thinking white but I thought about it and the interior is black so I personally think it would clash. I also ordered my Carbon Fiber trim kit so I think this color combo will be looking quite nice. I also originally didnt want to coat the rims but I have a set in mind that sometime next year I will be purchasing so I figured what the hell. That and alot of my Honda type friends were saying Go for it! lol, but usually I just ignore them.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
That and alot of my Honda type friends were saying Go for it! lol, but usually I just ignore them.
Ahh...the ricer group. At least they give us a lot to laugh about! Need to photo shop in a 20 inch tall aluminum ladder spoiler and see how that looks! Might be kinda trendy..

Hit my storage cubby with the chrome paint last night, not smoothed out enough for "finished and ready"..but had to do it. Been thinking all three grills in this.. I liked it.. so another one on "the list of things to do".. lol. I don't think it ever ends.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm only friends with a Honda driver because she's my wife.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM

lol. I don't think it ever ends.
I dont think so either lol... I told my fiance last night, " a man needs time in his man cave", she got pissed and said "When do you spend time anywhere else!" lol. They just dont understand..

Ahh...the ricer group. At least they give us a lot to laugh about! Need to photo shop in a 20 inch tall aluminum ladder spoiler and see how that looks! Might be kinda trendy..
They do give tons to laugh at. Its really funny when a Honda civic hatchback with a huge wing, a bodykit and a earth shaking set of 15 inch subs (with stock door speakers of course) pulls up next to you wanting to race. I just throw them a peace sign and they get a good view of my motorized wing in action.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 AM

I dont think so either lol... I told my fiance last night, " a man needs time in his man cave", she got pissed and said "When do you spend time anywhere else!" lol. They just dont understand..

They do give tons to laugh at. Its really funny when a Honda civic hatchback with a huge wing, a bodykit and a earth shaking set of 15 inch subs (with stock door speakers of course) pulls up next to you wanting to race. I just throw them a peace sign and they get a good view of my motorized wing in action.
Carefull admitting that with a Civic! I posted about one running up on me after tail gating me..let him get to my rear bumber and nailed it..he got even with me..then back to seeing tail lights... Got a WTF are you doing playing with a Civic! LOL. Wives should be gratefull to our cars.. All that passion towards them there's no extra for the cute redheads running about..

Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Carefull admitting that with a Civic! I posted about one running up on me after tail gating me..let him get to my rear bumber and nailed it..he got even with me..then back to seeing tail lights... Got a WTF are you doing playing with a Civic! LOL. Wives should be gratefull to our cars.. All that passion towards them there's no extra for the cute redheads running about..
The guys with the SRT's would definately say not to mess with Civics. I think its quite fun pulling away from a car trying its hardest without even really trying . That is an awesome point! If our minds are divided to our cars and the wife.... thats a full schedule.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM

The guys with the SRT's would definately say not to mess with Civics. I think its quite fun pulling away from a car trying its hardest without even really trying . That is an awesome point! If our minds are divided to our cars and the wife.... thats a full schedule.
I really thought I was doing him a favor.. Spanked his racey ricey butt for free.. Someone else might have wanted a couple hundred to take him to school on a Crossfire.. LOL. That was on my normal route home..maybe he'll get some upgrades and coming looking for me after February... Then he can get schooled again on Crossfires with Turbos.. ROFL

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

I really thought I was doing him a favor.. Spanked his racey ricey butt for free.. Someone else might have wanted a couple hundred to take him to school on a Crossfire.. LOL. That was on my normal route home..maybe he'll get some upgrades and coming looking for me after February... Then he can get schooled again on Crossfires with Turbos.. ROFL
LMAO... Maybe he will get smart and sell the POS and buy a Crossfire.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM

LMAO... Maybe he will get smart and sell the POS and buy a Crossfire.
God I hope not.. he seemed to love his muffler... just couldn't see it being put on a Crossfire!

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics