Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video

Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video

The MR-MU-MRS Megan Racing Muffler after about 200 miles. The Plasti-Dip after about 2 months, and the real CF dash trim kit after a couple of weeks. Any thoughts are welcome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyzFT..._mkdvxb5fS0FjV

EDIT: Here is where I ordered the muffler from, like I said it got here in 1 business day.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Last edited by sk8erjosh09; 01-27-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video

sounds sick as ****! and u literally painted everything i want to get painted on my car...no joke. the side fins, the badges,but not the centers of them, and the wheels. im so jelly.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by boboridesbmx
sounds sick as ****! and u literally painted everything i want to get painted on my car...no joke. the side fins, the badges,but not the centers of them, and the wheels. im so jelly.
It really does! I didnt like silver on my car but I didnt want to have to mask and paint... Try the Plasti-Dip, just remember if you do the door handles take them off. Otherwise from use it will start peeling up. Also, if you do the rims, do many coats...like 5. I wanted to do the rims as a experiment because Im getting new ones later and I like the flat black look.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Looks and sounds great man!! I've always liked the white/black rims storm trooper look and you took it to the next level. I have a 06 Black base coupe I'm going the blackout route on so I think I'll try to plasti-dip the emblems and grille like you did. I read your steps on the Plasti-Dip thread but I was curious for the grille/front emblem. Did you tape that off too or just spray and pray? I blacked out my tails with VHT spray and they look good so I think I could handle it but those were off the car and I'm a little concerned with spraying stuff while it's still on. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Again, it looks outstanding!!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tcconnally
Looks and sounds great man!! I've always liked the white/black rims storm trooper look and you took it to the next level. I have a 06 Black base coupe I'm going the blackout route on so I think I'll try to plasti-dip the emblems and grille like you did. I read your steps on the Plasti-Dip thread but I was curious for the grille/front emblem. Did you tape that off too or just spray and pray? I blacked out my tails with VHT spray and they look good so I think I could handle it but those were off the car and I'm a little concerned with spraying stuff while it's still on. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Again, it looks outstanding!!
Thanks!! I took the grill off for the Plasti-Dip because its hard to wipe the overspray off between the fins. For the emblems just spray 2 coats, take a rag and wipe off the overspray (easiest when dry) (REMEMBER: LEAVE THE SOLID OVERSPRAY WIPE THE DOTS) and gently peel off the solid excess like a sticker. Take a toothpick to lift up and peel. The middle design of the emblem is the same, take a toothpick in the center, pick, lift up, and peel off. No cutting, taping, or removing. Alot of people are taping off the area on youtube videos Ive seen... This is pointless. The time it takes to mask an area off is the time it takes to wipe the overspray off. Dont wipe the emblem you spray for a while. It takes 24 hours before its bonded completely to the surface and smooth. If at all you mess up... Just take a toothpick, pick, lift, and peel off to start over. Same as any job, take your time and it will come out good. I was running out when I got to the back rims and now they are spotting. In a few weeks or so Im going to buy one more can for touching up the rims and door handles, when I do I will post a how-to on Plasti-Dip.

It is extremely easy and cheap to do this. Just take your time with coats/between coats. And remember it isnt permanent like paint unless you want it to be. Meaning, if you dont like it, peel it off, otherwise it will withstand anything you throw at it.

I do have a question for you though... What is VHT spray and have you been hassled by cops for having it on your tail lights? This is the next step for me. Blacked out tail lights/head lights/fog lights.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Where is that CF interior trim kit from? The car as a whole looks great.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick M

CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 DASH TRIM KIT | eBay

I would try anywhere other than this place above. It took them 1 month to process and 1 week to ship.

I would try amazon. Type "Crossfire Dash Trim Kit". It may be somewhat more expensive but most likely better service... It was between the "Real Carbon Fiber" (Which is 26 dollars more), and the "Synthetic Titanium Burl".

And Thanks, I have actually had alot of fun playing around with some of the visual aspects of this car.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM

I didnt realize you were new... Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum!!! Lots and Lots of info on this site from alot of very wise people.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM

How did the kit fit overall? Was there any trimming or fit issues? A month to process an order is WAY to long!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

How did the kit fit overall? Was there any trimming or fit issues? A month to process an order is WAY to long!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
The kit was pre-cut perfectly... no issues or complaints in the product. I am nitpicky and I can tell where I didnt align it perfectly but thats my own fault. I ended up calling the company every week cause it was a christmas present to myself and the guy was super unhelpful. I was about to cancel when it just showed up randomly. No tracking number, no shipping confirmation, nothing.

And No problem at all!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM

You can get VHT Nightshades spray from juts about anywhere. I ordered from Amazon but you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. I have Amazon Prime so I knew I would get it fast and not have to drive around looking for it. It's a black-out spray that still lets light shine through so it's not as hazardous. The cops in my area (Tulsa, OK) don't seem to give a crap about car customization. I have 5% tint all around (technically illegal) and the tail lights are pretty much blacked out. I took some shots a few weeks ago I'll post here:

Tails in direct sunlight
LgXAdl.jpg
You can kind of see through the driver side in this picture but in person it pretty much blends in with the rest of the car. Very slick look.

With flash in garage
Ka9TFl.jpg
You can see that the flash illuminates the reflective strip at the bottom of the tail light so you know people will still be able to see you at night.

With lights on in garage
7w86jl.jpg
Just to give you an idea of how much light shines through.

I haven't gotten anyone to step on the brakes while I'm behind the car to check that out but I figure with the third brake light it's all good. Spraying the tails was easy as pie since you can take them off. I started to try to tape off the reverse and running lights to give them a silver accent but it was too much work and I was lazy. I think it looks better this way. The key with the VHT spray is to lay down several light coats. At first it looks like a bunch of black dots but as it dries it spreads out you can just lay down as many coats as you think are necessary. The can warns to only do 4 at max but I laid down 5-6, mainly because I think I went lighter on each coat than I could have. I didn't clear them after spraying them so we'll see how well they hold up. I've had friends that have done their's in the past and they're still looking great over 2 years later.

Sorry for the novel, hopefully this answers any questions you had.

Last edited by tcconnally; 01-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM

It does thank you! I think it looks awesome, but very dark lol. Ill probably do 2 or 3 coats and see how bright it is and if its close to the same I might do more later. The thing about my small town in CA is that cops literally have nothing better to do than to harrass the young people in nice cars. I havent been pulled over for anything the 9 months Ive owned the car but this may push them over the top.

Could you by chance get a side view pic of the tail lights shining on the garage door? Its hard to tell how bright they are in the pic.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Talking Re: Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video

Everything looks great guys! Thanks for sharing. Both of you.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks, GP!

Josh, I'll try to get some pics tonight and post them up.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gpeterson119
Everything looks great guys! Thanks for sharing. Both of you.
Thanks!!!! and no problem, more to come so keep an eye out.

Originally Posted by tcconnally
Josh, I'll try to get some pics tonight and post them up.
Thanks tc, have you done the headlights and foglights as well?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM

So I tried to get pics of the tails shining on the garage door but my phone camera apparently sucks. With the overhead light out I can't see **** and with the garage light on you can't see the tail light on the door at all. Sorry man.

I don't have fog lights unfortunately since my car is the base coupe. I have thought about doing a light coat on my headlights to complete the blackout look but I'm hesitant to try since I understand the headlights are a PITA to remove and I haven't seen any good reviews of the ebay tint film for them. One day I may try to mask off the headlights and give them 1-2 light coats but for now I'm content with just leaving them stock.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM

No problem... I am considering really doing this soon. I want to complete my storm trooper look as you stated lol. I also picked out rims that I want to buy and powder coat gloss black.

This style 17x8 and 18x9.5:

MERCEDES WHEELS 18 INCH SILVER RIMS (MBZ-480-18-SLV)

Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
This style 17x8 and 18x9.5:
Hope you never want to upgrade your brakes, those 17s would be a killer. And if you do not lower it, it will look silly with 17/18 combo, IMHO...

Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Hope you never want to upgrade your brakes, those 17s would be a killer. And if you do not lower it, it will look silly with 17/18 combo, IMHO...
The bigger brake kit Im not worried about right now, I wont track enough to even need it. I figure Ill be good with drilled and slotted rotors with steel braided brake lines.

Suprisingly the front will be .5" taller with the back the exact same, just wider on both. I do eventually want to lower it, but that wont be for a while.

Attached are the sizes when said and done:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front rim+tire.pdf (39.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf
Rear rim+tire.pdf (39.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 DASH TRIM KIT | eBay

I would try anywhere other than this place above. It took them 1 month to process and 1 week to ship.

I would try amazon. Type "Crossfire Dash Trim Kit". It may be somewhat more expensive but most likely better service... It was between the "Real Carbon Fiber" (Which is 26 dollars more), and the "Synthetic Titanium Burl".

And Thanks, I have actually had alot of fun playing around with some of the visual aspects of this car.
I love your dash trim kit. Is the color "real silver carbon fiber"?

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video