Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Recent fix

Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Recent fix

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Unless you can hear the starter free spinning I'd relax on this one.

Was the replacement starter a rebuilt or something that could have been marginal?
Did you ever investigate the "hissing sound"? Thinking that would be an exhaust
leak, and have to wonder if it hasn't created an issue?
One more thought... "terminals are clean"..is that just looking at them or have you
actually taken them loose and sanded the contact areas of the post and clamps to
insure a good connection?
rebuilt starter from autozone. the terminals look clean but i haven't disonnected them.

and i could never locate the source of the hissing sound :/

could it not be the battery doesn't have enough amperage?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jabk
rebuilt starter from autozone. the terminals look clean but i haven't disonnected them.

and i could never locate the source of the hissing sound :/

could it not be the battery doesn't have enough amperage?
Yeah it's possible, but checking and cleaning the clamps and post is a freebie.. not to mention if you end up replacing the battery you'll be one step ahead with clean clamp contacts.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM

I was going to go test it out with a new battery today, and if that doesn't work, i was going to check the cables from the battery to the starter. perhaps they came undone.

or i could check with a multimeter and see if any voltage is even getting carried to the starter.

i just dont think it could be the fuel pump because then the engine would at least TRY to crank. and i don't believe it's the ignition.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM

I was going to go test it out with a new battery today, and if that doesn't work, i was going to check the cables from the battery to the starter. perhaps they came undone.

or i could check with a multimeter and see if any voltage is even getting carried to the starter.

i just dont think it could be the fuel pump because then the engine would at least TRY to crank. and i don't believe it's the ignition.
I would seriously think you are only looking at a battery, connection, or a relay issue. Fuel pump? When you turn the key to the first postion you should hear it "spooling up" so to say. Have you taken a look at the contacts on the relays on the RCM? Just a thought..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 PM

You can always test your starter. You never know.. Could be a faulty one.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 AM

yes, that is what i'm really beginning to think, because i replaced the battery yesterday to no avail. the shitty refurbished starter from autozone seems my last reasonable option..

at least i'll have a new battery when i figure the rest of this out :/

Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM

just tested the voltage at the starter solenoid....11.2 volts

i'm assuming this is a bit low, and should indicate a faulty starter. i just did put in a BRAND NEW battery, after all.

so...looks like i'm getting a new starter

Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 PM

just tested the voltage at the starter solenoid....11.2 volts

i'm assuming this is a bit low, and should indicate a faulty starter. i just did put in a BRAND NEW battery, after all.

so...looks like i'm getting a new starter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your voltage is supposed to sit at 12.5, but don't quote me on that one. Did you check to see if your starter solenoid has an open circuit? Maybe it's disconnected somewhere on the inside.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM

im gonna make one last effort to isolate the starter. try to determine whether maybe its the cables or something

Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

im gonna make one last effort to isolate the starter. try to determine whether maybe its the cables or something
There has been at least one report where a battery cable was faulty due to corrosion inside the insulation and it could not be seen. This prevented full power to the starter.

There is a white or clear vacuum line underneath the battery, this goes through the fire wall to the heater controls. This was damaged by battery acid leaking on it in a report on here some time back.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There has been at least one report where a battery cable was faulty due to corrosion inside the insulation and it could not be seen. This prevented full power to the starter.

There is a white or clear vacuum line underneath the battery, this goes through the fire wall to the heater controls. This was damaged by battery acid leaking on it in a report on here some time back.
Had an older chevy in my younger days with this cable scenario.. was just reluctant to mention it as a possibility since cars have advanced so much since those days. Not totally related.. but My Sportster was having electrical grimlins, speedo drop out for a couple seconds..turn signals acting goofy.. lasted about 8 months this way, couldn't find anything on it. 300 miles from home after going airborne on an expansion crack-upheave (thank you Tennessee) I found it..lol. Seems the cable at the starter (which all tie in) had actually broke off "under" an insulating cover where it attached to the lug terminal. Visual inspection and slight shifting of wires never revealed this issue.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Took the starter out, took it to autozone and had it tested.

failed current and chatter time test. got a part swap and car runs now.

thanks autozone