Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

General G-Max AS 3

Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General G-Max AS 3

A piece of angle iron and a mismatched replacement put me in a situation of limited tire choices away from home. From the choices, and so as to not pay $300+ a tire, I now have General G-Max AS 3s all around. Don't know this tire. Any feedback or experiences I should be aware of?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: General G-Max AS 3

Great Tires...
Going on 4 months and they are by far the best set I've had.
Here's a link to my thread I started when I first bought them:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ble-tires.html

Old 02-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks SYFI. The article was confidence building. With some time on the tires now, I can confirm what you said, and second the article. These are extremely quiet, and well mannered as well. Car is simply more comfortable under stress and under cruising than with the OEM Contis. I do find the big tread pattern a bit off-putting, but is does not seem to affect performance in the least.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had to replaced my rears. the generals were recommended by my mechanic for daily driving. so far no complaints.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM

My priority for tires is a smooth Quiet ride with no darting around on the highway, since I have a 150km round trip to work, and is one of the reasons I love my coupe. With the sizes of these tires, price is a factor as well. The tires on this were Conti Touring Contact, and they actually seem to fit that nicely. I really only needed rears, as they were down to the wearbars, and was going to just replace those with the same, but I found a plug repair in one of the fronts, as well as some not so favorable Continental Contact reviews in wet and snow conditons, so decided on a complete set. I wanted Dunlop Star Spec, but they couldnt get those. I was seriously looking at the Hankook ventus v12's based upon a car and driver? review of tires (its in the forum somewhere), but after reading some reviews here, and Tire rack, i was concerned about noise and wear. I called Ryan at OK Tire (shameless plug) and he said check out the Generals, so I put on a set. I was very apprehensive about losing that nice smooth quiet ride, but so far I am VERY happy. Not many miles yet, right out to the highway,and it was smooth and quiet. Probably a bit more quiet because the rears were down to the bars, and Im not sure how sticky they are yet. I wont be driving them in the snow, and wont be able to tell you about the wet unless it starts to rain when Im out. Looks like I may be taking a couple thousand km's round trip here next week if I dont get the AC fixed on the Yukon, and will post an update when I'm back. 2004 Silver Blue 6spd Coupe Annnnnd.......Loving it!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vegaslegal
A piece of angle iron and a mismatched replacement put me in a situation of limited tire choices away from home. From the choices, and so as to not pay $300+ a tire, I now have General G-Max AS 3s all around. Don't know this tire. Any feedback or experiences I should be aware of?
I think you made a good choice. I put these tires on my 2005 limited coupe maybe six months ago and they're the best (and 4th) set of tires I've had on the car. It's my daily driver so quiet, comfort, and durability is what I really want and these deliver. However, they grip pretty darn well too. We don't have many crooked roads in NE Florida but we do have on/off ramps and they can be driven as fast on these tires as on the original Michelin PS2s. I couldn't be happier with them. It remains to be seen how durable they are but after six months they're not showing any appreciable wear at all. Wish I'd known about them before I replace the original PS2s with first Cooper Zeons (sp) and then Kumho Extas, both of which were, frankly, crap.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 PM

At least a 1500km road trip to kelowna, it was hot the whole time. Round trip was flawless. Still only saw one crossfire, but a ton of mustangs, vettes, beamers and camaros. There is a nice 80km stretch of road to take towards Fintry Provincial park. Lots..I mean LOTS of switchbacks and curves to keep you busy. Kinda spooky road too, since there are very few shoulders, just hillside or drop in most parts. Leaving to come home I turned around to talk to a guy in a 64 Jag who makes the trek up to do Yoga on that road, just for the drive. Most of the posted curves are 30kph which I "hear" are good for 100+kph. The car is actually deceptive in the speed your going and I have to remind myself to check my speed Before hitting these curves Nevertheless, back to the tires. I am still VERY happy with them. The car never once seemed like it was going to come loose, and I pushed it fairly hard. Still smooth and quiet on the highway, and they definately seem sticky enough for me. 2004 Silver Blue 6spd Coupe. Annnnd....Loving it!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 PM

I put the General G-MAX A3 on my XF too. Very happy with ride, grip, etc. They have only been on since May. I don't drive it a lot, only 1000 miles maybe since install. Drove to DFW after install about 500 miles or so, very quite and smooth.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates on these tire reviews? I'm lookin' for fronts for now, and rears in 10K, when the new Falkens wear out in the rear.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just put a pair on the rear Saturday myself..replaced the Falkens @ about 25,000 miles.. G-Max rated at 45,000 miles.. we'll see. Liking them so far..Almost went with the Nexxen's from Wally World.. figure I'll give them a shot in about two months when the fronts need replaced.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run them for about 10k now. Fronts have cupped a little and do make some noise. I don't' blame the tires as I didn't check alignment after installing them. They do have a more rounded sidewall look to them so I think they look a little less aggressive than other tires.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just passed the 20,000 mark on my G-Maxs and I am REALLY impressed with them. Just had my tire guy do an off-rim rotate from side to side. My limited always wore the inside half of the rears and cupping the fronts in no time on previous tires. These have shown very little wear probably cause I got them laser aligned when installed. They should easily get to 40,000 which in my book makes them a "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner"! Still quiet and sticky and just a great tire, especially for the cost!
I did go with 235 fronts and 275 rears which may have helped the wear situation, but the slightly taller sidewall has made for a more comfortable ride to boot.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I installed 4 G-Max on my roadster this past spring. Seem to be great tires and the warranty is very good. They do seem to need a few miles in the morning to warm up. I park on carpet in my garage so I don't think it is flat spotting. Just seems like the tire is stiff for the first few miles. I would buy them again.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 PM

My update. Nine monts and 7k, and I'm very impressed, and the value seems unbeatable

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for letting me know! Now, all I have to do is FIND them 235/35-19's are all "On Order". I'm in no hurry-DTD.com will ship them to my installer when they arrive.

Oh-the Falken FK452's I've been running for 4 years (2 sets) are being replaced with the FK453. So I won't be able to find a matching set of rears in 2 years when I need them. Hence the brand change.

Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM

I'm now eighteen months and eighteen thousand miles into these tires. Just an update. Still good, but they seem to get noisier with age. About at the level of the Conti's the car came with at this point, and not so much as to be a problem. Product/value seems very good.