Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Paint on rear bumper

Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint on rear bumper

I had a very small yellow speck on my rear bumper when I bought the car last July. The car has never been rained on, never been out of the garage in the winter. I noticed a few months ago that there were now four or five of the spots.I figured they must be rail dust or fallout and decided to clay bar them. No dice. I tried all the cleaners I knew of, still no good. I forgot about them for a while. Last week I noticed that there were now 12 of them and the older ones were getting larger. You can not feel them on the surface. They seem to be under the clear coat. I called the dealer and took in in for them to see. They said they hadn't seen this before, but from the pristine condition of the car, they were sure it wasn't neglect. They sent me to a local bodyshop with a good rep. and told me to have it repainted. After trying to clean it himself, the body guy said it was probably a chemical I ran over, or exhaust condensation from limited use of the car. He said the manufacturer shoulden't be responsible. I told him the dealer had sent me to get it repainted. He called the service manager. He told him what he had told me, and that to do it right, he would have to remove the cover, strip it and then paint it. The service manager told him to do whatever it takes to do it right. This is the first problem I've had, and I'm happy that the dealer stepped up without delay.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:39 PM

I take it from the number of reads, yet no replys, that this must be an isolated problem. I'm glad for that. It's probably just something that got on the plastic before they sprayed it.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Hehe... I hope I don't have this problem.

Although with a black car it would be hard to tell. The minute I've got her all clean - she gets dirty again!! :lol:

Old 07-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

see that harry7.... once you start talking to yourself on these threads others will chime in.

Old 08-15-2004, 08:36 AM

I finally got a chance to get the car into the shop to get the bumper painted. They did an excellent job. They removed the cover from the car, stripped it, primed it, and repainted it. The paint quality is as good, maybe better than the rest of the car. I'm happy with it. Thanks Chrysler!

Old 08-15-2004, 01:43 PM

I'm glad you got it fixed and that it looks so great.

No final analysis of what it was huh? Let's hope it will not happen again.

Old 08-15-2004, 03:48 PM

No. The body shop guy said that it could have been something that was not cleaned off the bumper before it was painted, or that the paint mixture had separated during the paint process. He told me it's a 2 part epoxy paint on the urethane covers.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:24 AM

Yellow Spots. I was imagining the following scenario:

Black Crossfire begins to grow yellows spots, the spots begin to illuminate. Ultra violet lighting kit applied to underbelly of car. Add high powered sound system and there you go - Rave on Wheels Modification Kit for Crossfire.

Think it will sell?

harry7 - glad all went well!