Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Anyone in the UK up for a trip to the Nurburgring?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the UK up for a trip to the Nurburgring?

Hi to all based in the UK.....

Anyone up for a 2-4 day run over to Germany to drive the fearsome Nurburgring? Went on the run organised by http://www.mbclub.co.uk last November and had the most amazing time. Trying to generate some interest in various forums for a silimar trip.

Plenty of opportunity to drive at 150-155mph on the Autobahn on the way over and back, which is always a laugh. Hockenheim's on the way if anyone wants a look.

I can assure you that no other track in the world gives the excitement of the Nordeschliefe. If you can get a seat, the 'Ring Taxi is reported to be the most amazing ride of your life.

The last trip was structured as follows:

Day #1: Drive from London to Nurburgring via the Eurotunnel. Couple of laps in the afternoon. Stayed in Koblenz.
Day #2: Drive the 'ring all day, then head to Stuttgart. Stayed overnight.
Day #3: Visited the AMG factory and had a 2-3 hour guided tour. Visited the MB Classic Car museum, including a viewing of MB's private car collection not seen by the public (Amazing! I ave loads of pics if anyone is interested?). Stayed overnight.
Day #4: Drive from Stuttgart to London via the Eurotunnel.

Anyone interested? Couple of MB, Mazda, Porsche and TVR people have already indicated some interested.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:29 AM

Could be up for this. Overal cost of the weekend would be good - hotels wise etc, and what sort of mileage we talking about. afew '000 I would have thought ??

Sounds good though !

Old 07-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular

I'd be up for this if the price was right.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have it so good, that you can just drive there for this. We have NOTHING even close to equivalent over here...

Old 07-13-2004, 08:16 PM

LOL....David there is nothing equivalent to THE Ring......anywhere....the old Spa circuit was close from what I have been told by those who got to play on both.
But I'd be happy to just have the "pay and drive" available to all takers on any road course race track here.....but that won't happen mostly due to liability :-)

For those planning the trip to the ring, I'd recommend looking at combining the Nrburgring drive with the annual "Oldtimer Grand Prix" or Vintage Car Race Weekend.....one of the best racing weekends for vintage racing. Cars from 1924-73.....in virtually all classes of racing history. The northern Ring is open for most of the weekend. This year it's happening from the 6th-8th of August.

Old 07-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Forum Regular

Hold on David.

You guys have cheaper cars, cheaper fuel, luggage, are able to have HIDs legally, and you can turn off the passenger air-bag. You have also probably seen another XF on the road - still waiting to see one over here.

All we have is the German autobahn (3-4 hours drive from home). Don't bemoan us our little piece of heaven.

[I am not intending this to become an US vs UK debate. You have Bush, we have Blair - nuff said!!]

Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by english_bob
Hold on David.

You guys have cheaper cars, cheaper fuel, luggage, are able to have HIDs legally, and you can turn off the passenger air-bag. You have also probably seen another XF on the road - still waiting to see one over here.

All we have is the German autobahn (3-4 hours drive from home). Don't bemoan us our little piece of heaven.

[I am not intending this to become an US vs UK debate. You have Bush, we have Blair - nuff said!!]
You Autobahn statement, IMHO, obviates all the advantages you say we have! But what about the beautiful countryside of Scotland, you can take a ferry to Ireland, you've got the white cliffs, I could go on and on. Yeah, we have scenic stuff here too, but something about an old Scot/Welsh/Irish castle staring out across the sea really stirs me...

(Oh, changing to HID >IS< illegal here too. Only vehicles originally equipped with HID are "legal". But you'd either have to a) really **** off a cop or b) have a really sharp vehicle inspector to get in trouble. That said, I'm planning to order some :roll: ).

Old 07-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

You're right. Can't wait to get onto an unrestricted road. If this Nurbergring thing doesn't work out, I'm going to Hamburg in May 2005, but its a long time to wait.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM

Will get costs together over the next couple of days. Will hopefully have some information together by the end of the weekend. Friend's just received his new car and he's keen to go ASAP. I've still got my fingers crossed for a Friday collection/delivery.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Is Nurburgring the 16 mile track where you pay $10 a lap to drive? I was watching an interview on the Speed channel the other night with Boris Said (a US race car driver) who won a race there, and the way he acquainted himself with the track was to get a car, pay $10 a lap and drive the track. He said you could drive anything on the track, or take a tour. I thought he said Nurenburg, but possibly this was the track. It sounds like a fun thing to do, though rather expensive for us Yankees.
Hope you can pull it off; it sounds like it would be something worth doing.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 AM

For anyone not familiar with the Nordeschliefe, this site has lots of information and links to the other important sites.

http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

Old 07-15-2004, 07:55 PM

Hi Leebee,

yes that would be one and the same...The Ring, the green hell....the greatest track anywhere :-).
Boris had one major advantage though.....he wasn't just renting a car and go have a drive....He had the one and only Hans Joachim "Strietzel" Stuck with him to give him driving tips....and later on in the race the same Strietzel was part of the winning team.
Not to demean Boris talents....but with the guy with more racing laps than anyone on the Nordschleife on the team you have a great advantage :-)

I have been lucky enough to race vintage cars there for the past 14 years...and have had the benefit of Stucks coaching and know how much of a difference he can make. One year we had a 12h race with our 1968 GTA and Stuck was one pitstall over so we talked while the other driver was in our cars. When the wheather around the ring turned sour just as our cars pulled in he said " just hang on to my taillights". Which is pretty much what I ended up doing......scary stuff...but let me tell you....I have never before been around the Nordschleife that fast.

If you go there in a rental car just remember that your insurance won't cover any damage on the Ring.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:29 AM

It was surprising to watch the Boris Said interview on "Speed Freaks" on the Speed channel on Monday nite, and then to see scotth's post on Tuesday. I looked at some of the links that scotth added and it looks like a fun (and scary) trip.
Sunny, thanks for the interesting sidebar.
LOL to all you from the other side of the pond that take the trip.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:28 AM

All's looking good for some planning this weekend. Will put together a proposed itinerary. Timing likely to be approx 1 month from now.

Collected my Crossfire yesterday. Very impressed!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:40 AM

We're looking at a full day at the track to allow both driving and spectating, which are both a load of laughs. Eurotunnel seems to be the smartest way to get the cars over and back quickly without messing about with ferries. Last year we also went to Stuttgart to check out the AMG factory and the MB Classic Museum, however this year we'll probably just drive the 'Ring as time is of the essence. All suggestions for other things to do will be entertained.....

We haven't selected a weekend yet from the list below, however the 27-30 August window is looking like the most likely option with 28-30 August being ideal for Sunday driving. Alternatively we could always angle for something over the 13-16 August slot.

Accommodation options are plentiful. We can stay at the Dorint Hotel which is on the straight of the F1 track, or can stay down-market at a closeby town. Anything goes! Camping may even be an option. Sleeping in cars is not an option, as I can't get the seat back very far in the Crossfire. ;-)

Let me know if you are keen! You will not be disappointed. Feel free to pass on to others.

Keep these in mind:

Petrol costs
Eurotunnel costs
Accommodation costs
Mileage
Insurance
Lap costs
Continental breakdown cover
Continental insurance cover
Speed trap/radar protection
Satellite navigation
Beer money
Camera gear
Souvenir costs

Proposed format for the trip is as follows:

Day 1
Meet at the Eurotunnel facilities in the early morning and travel across on the train together as a group. Proceed directly from Calais to Nurburg - approximately 270-300 miles. Drive the ring at a leisurely pace to familiarise ourselves for the following day. Overnight accommodation as close to the track as practical. Night out on the town? ;-)

Day 2
Arrive at the track for a full day's driving and spectating including lunch at the restaurant. Overnight accommodation as close to the track as practical. Night out on the town? ;-)

Day 3
Depart accommodation and return directly to Calais for Eurotunnel transport back to the UK mid afternoon.

Here's the 2004 Nurburgring schedule (local time opening hours) for August/September weekends:

06 August Friday Closed
07 August Saturday 0800-1930
08 August Sunday 1000-1930
09 August Monday Closed

13 August Friday 1515-1700
14 August Saturday 0800-1700
15 August Sunday 0800-1700
16 August Monday 1300-1930

20 August Friday Closed
21 August Saturday Closed
22 August Sunday Closed
23 August Monday 1300-1930

27 August Friday 1415-1930
28 August Saturday 1715-1930
29 August Sunday 0800-1930
30 August Monday 1000-1930

03 September Friday 1715-1930
04 September Saturday 1715-1930
05 September Sunday 0800-1930
06 September Monday 1715-1930

Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 AM

Date Options:
13/14/15 August
28/29/30 August (Bank Holiday)

Structure:
Day1: Channel crossing (boat/train) and drive to the ring. Stay closeby.
Day2: Full day of track driving and spectating. Stay closeby.
Day3: Return journey and channel crossing.

Accomodation Options:
13/14/15 August: Dorint Am Nuerburgring 4, Promo Rate 112 per room (total) for two nights with 1 or 2 people.
28/29/30 August: Dorint Am Nuerburgring 4, Rack Rate 251 (total) Bb Bed Breakfast Room for two nights with 1 or 2 people.

Channel Crosssing Options:
200-300 for Eurotunnel
100-110 for Hoverspeed.

Lap costs:
Single Lap 14 euros
5 Laps 56 euros

Notes:
Checking to see what events are on these weekends now - not too keen on arriving along with 500 other people. Looks like the 28th weekend is going to be very busy!

Old 07-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

Scott,

Would love to go, but am not available on these dates. It's a shame as I have a Club Class Return on Eurotunnel to use up by October. Looks like it'll have to be a booze cruise in the Voyager instead.

If you arrange any others, then please post the details. I will make it if I can.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:00 AM

All booked now. Cannot wait.

Departing 13th August and returning on the 15th. Full day of driving on the 14th.

Roll call so far is:
1998 Porsche 911 Turbo
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2004 Mazda MX-5 1.8

The camera ban is now in force on the track, although I am still hoping to get some footage of value for the forums. Last time I went I mounted my DVcam down behind the front right wheel with a wide angle lens. Footage is fantastic with one of these http://www.b-hague.co.uk/sm1c.jpg .

Ferry crossings ended up at 99 with Hoverspeed and the accomodation was 57pp for the two nights. Laps are approximately 8.