Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Roof bars - are they available for the crossfire?

Old 07-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof bars - are they available for the crossfire?

We want to go camping and take our bikes. They won't fit in the boot. The options are to buy a couple of folding bikes, or buy roof bars for the car. Any suggestions?

Old 07-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

I want a carrier for my bike too. But one doesn't seem to exist unfortunately.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Roof bars - are they available for the crossfire?

Originally Posted by melcragg
We want to go camping and take our bikes. They won't fit in the boot. The options are to buy a couple of folding bikes, or buy roof bars for the car. Any suggestions?
Try the search tool. You'll find several threads discussing such a thing, and nobody's ever found anything decent that they've come back and told us about.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:35 PM

Chrysler offers them on their German website as accessories, don't know if US dealers can get them yet.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...?p=23822#23822

Old 07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Default FWIW - Bike Rack alternative

A little absurd, but since we've never found a bike rack that fits, I've started taking mine apart to put in the boot. For a 56 Specialized "compact" road bike, I remove both wheels and seat post. "Hook" the bar over the bulkhead, so that one dropdown is in front, one in the main compartment. Depending, I sometimes need to fold up the rear derailleur to get it over the transom. Then, both wheels are laid on top, hatch closed. It's actually very easy to do, now takes me about 1 minute, and I don't need to worry about locking anything, besides the car.

A few things to watch. First, the plastic on the top of the bulkhead will get rubbed, sometimes by the metal front brake-be careful not to scratch the plastic or use a towel. Second, if you have a computer sensor on the front fork be careful. Location of mine casues no problem, YMMV. Last, depending on your bike hygiene habits, the derailleur and/or chain may be greasy, careful where you put your hands, a rag helps. I've put a piece of tape around my seatpost to easily find the right height for re-installing.

Again, it's actually EASY for my frame, and much better than nothing

Old 07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

I have a bike rack that attaches to the back of a car that is quite adjustable and would probably fit the back of the crossfire. I haven't tried to fit it to the car yet, but the lower arm would sit on the bumper, just below the license plate, and then the upper arm would sit on the rear window. Then 2 straps would go underneat the bumper, two straps would attach to the side of the hatch, and two straps would attach to the top of the hatch. The spoiler shouldn't be a problem since the spoiler is so small. I'd put the rack on with the spoiler in the up position of course. I'd just have to make sure I put something soft between the lower bumper straps and the paint.