Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Overheating problem HELP

Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Ed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem HELP

Is anyone having or had a prblem with overheating?? My son after seeing my Crossfire, went out and bought one. Now he is having an overheating problem that his dealer does not know for sure what the problem is. They have decided to replace the computer, however it sounds like that is a guess at the problem. Also, they are having problems getting the new computer. -- I appreciate any input. -- Thanks Ed :?: :cry:

Old 07-19-2004, 09:40 PM

Ed,

I was running my car through the mountains in 100 degree weather, with the air on and the needle did not budge from the middle line...

You may want to check to be sure that the fan connection is ok.. That's what it sounds like...

Hope this helps MO

Old 07-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes my needle is a little above the line and other times it is a little below the line. Is that normal?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:23 PM

My needle does the same thing dirtboy...is yours manual? Mine is...

ACE

Old 07-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, mine is a manual. Sometimes the needle is dead center, but I don't pay much attention to it anymore. I thought it was because it is rather hot where I live, but now I think it is just how the car is.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Ed

Mo_Bandy: Thanks for the response, I would think the dealer has looked at the area you suggest. They seem to "not know" and are willing to replace the computer just to see if that will fix it. -- Thanks again -- ED :roll:

Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Default Re: Overheating problem HELP

Originally Posted by Ed
Is anyone having or had a prblem with overheating?? My son after seeing my Crossfire, went out and bought one. Now he is having an overheating problem that his dealer does not know for sure what the problem is. They have decided to replace the computer, however it sounds like that is a guess at the problem. Also, they are having problems getting the new computer. -- I appreciate any input. -- Thanks Ed :?: :cry:
My step-dad had the same problem with the auto and it was the fan.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM

I have to agree with the above post...sounds as if the fan(s) are not coming on. This may be a simple sensor problem, rather then the computer. I had a similar problem in a VW. You may want to ask an MB dealer to take a look at it, they may be familiar with the problem. I had to take a Pontiac to a Buick dealer (Buick engine and transmission) in order to get a tranny problem fixed.

I was in traffic today on the Interstate, 103 degrees, a/c on, and no hint of overheating. The needle was just barely above the center line and remained steady.

Good luck, I know it is frustrating.

John

Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Overheating problem HELP

No overheating problems on my Roadster Ltd, needle is slightly below at times and slightly above (by a hair) on very hot days. In the cooler months its always dead center.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM

I've had two crossfire's overheat and the cause on both was always the exact same thing a failed cooling fan. The failure rate on the MB 3.2 engine cooling fan is high from experience and they squeak to get your attention that they are about to go, once they replaced the cooling fan problem was fixed and the coolant light went out.

What computer are you talking about to solve a over heating problem??? Don't tell them to look where they are not supposed to, have them replace the cooling fan.