Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

HELP--NEED A WINDSHIELD!

Old 07-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP--NEED A WINDSHIELD!

I'm very nervous about my Crossfire needing a windshield. Do the moldings come off easily or do I have to worry about some hack scratching them? Is there any padding needed at the windshield base so it doesn't rattle against the dash? I would appreciate the thoughts and guidance of any forum members who have been through this already.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Forum Regular

I went through hell on mine.

They really messed up mine when replacing it. There are a bunch of metal snaps holding on the silver trim. If they are not careful snaping them off then they will break one and the trim will not seal when putting it back on. In the mean time air would blow through the part that was not sealed and my car made a whistling sound.

But that was not the bad part. The rubber that the winshield hook into on the bottom is very very soft. they broke/cracked mine when removing the old windshield. we left the old windshield in until the bottom part came in. On the 6th try they finally got the correct piece from Diamler to replace the piece and then we put in the new bottom mount, new windshield and new trim. I think I had to live with the whistle for about a month before the parts came in.

When they are done replacing it check the bottom piece for cracks, make sure that the silver trim is on tight and is not lifted up anywhere and most importanly make sure you new winshield does not have any scratches or that nothing looks distorted when looking though it (a sign that they sanded off a scratch and it give a wobble effect).

-marc

Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM

Could be impossible, but you might try finding someone who has done it before, maybe your insurance agent or adjuster could get a list of X-fire repairs and the shop that did the job. They have this info, but I don't know if they will release it to you. If they have a "Public Adjuster" - PA in your area maybe a PA could get this info. A PA is an independent Adjuster that doesnt' work for the insurance company. Used most often for Large Property Claims.

Off Topic: I used one several times for My Client's. With good results Once for a personal claim - he told me about Diminshed Value (DV). I have a 1998 Chrysler Van the got hit after I had it for only one month. My Insurance would not pay me DV, although its allowed under Florida law. He got me an appraisal after the Van was repaired cost me $85 and I got $6000. Damage to the Van was $7500 I wanted it totaled but in Fl the damage has to be 80% of value. Still have the Van.