Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help - Annoying rattle

Old 07-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Annoying rattle

My new Xfire has only 800 miles on it and I am getting the most annoying rattle from the seatbelt housing area over my left shoulder (driver side). I thought it was plastic rubbing together so I bought some WD 40 to 'lube' the area a little but no help. Anyone else have this same problem....and know how I may be able to fix it? Please help

Old 07-25-2004, 07:44 AM

The only rattle I'm aware of is the problem a bunch of us had with the rear hatch. There's a TSB out on that. Could the noise your hearing be coming from the hatch? If so look in the TSB area. The number and details are there. I hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:22 AM

I'm sure that my problem was what you're experiencing-it's really more of a clicking/ticking/plastic rubbing together sound rather than a rattle. One of our members had luck using silicone spray in the area of the seat-belt housing and his went away. Not mine! I tried lubing the trim without luck- Very annoying over your left ear as you drive.

Anyway, back to dealer for inlet hose recall and had them check this out as well. I really didn't hold out much hope-I figured oh well, someday it'll go away. But the dealer took care of it, first time. Here's the techs written description of what he did:
"Repositioned left rear quarter trim and lubed stops" Go to the dealer with that info and you'll hopefully be taken care of!

#16515 Graphite 6 sp.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had mine in to have the same problem fixed twice without getting it fully eliminated. the real culprit here is poor design. the dealer put some insulation and silicone lubricant under the panel to eliminate most of the squeak. but after a while it became worse than before. so i decided to attempt to fix it myself. you need to remove 3 small torx screws and 1 phillips screw to remove the panel. it seems that the noise i'm hearing is coming from the little trim piece that serves as a guide for the seat belt into the trim panel. once the panel is removed, the small plastic piece can be removed by carefully prying the tabs with a screwdriver. for now, i just used some lubricant on it. if it continues to squeak i will find something to insulate the back side of it. maybe some tape or even a soft silicone sealant might work if the lubricant doesn't.

there have been a number of people here that have noticed the same thing. i would bet that the noise exists in most crossfires. i think that the 240w stereo is masking the problem in many cars. :lol:

Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Default Rattle

We discovered our rattle was a shock absorber.. not sure what caused it

Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 PM

On surface streets I've been hearing a rattle that sounds like it's coming from my back wheel when I go over bumps and rougher pavement. I wonder if the shock absorber is my problem as well. Don't hear it on the highway though. hmmmm

Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Default Annoying rattle

We tracked our rattle down to a bad gas shock at the rear, the dealer changed it under warranty, although we were pleasantly surprised to hear they are not terribly expensive.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Thumbs up Re: Help - Annoying rattle

I've had this noise from day one. I also noticed it when I was test driving 3 other XFires. It's like chasing a ghost...it seems to radiate from the seat belt housing and sounds plastic in nature. After trying every trick I could think of, I brought it to a dealer other than where I bought it. The Tech was awesome and did a "TSB Sweep" nationally. He found one dealing with a squeak in the rear quarter panel (particularly the drivers side). It has to do with assembly process. When the rear quarter panel glass is installed, DC uses an aluminum rivet to attach the glass to the frame, top and bottom (the top rivet is the problem). Over time with body flex, the rivet starts to loosen and then makes the most irritating popping noise particularly going up and down driveways and on take off. The fix is a specially made screw and lock nut that they replace the rivet with. Takes about 30 minutes. I would recommend doing both sides because eventually the passenger side does it too. It's an order part and takes about 4 days to get. It's worth the wait, very quiet when done. Good luck.
TSB #23-001-05.