Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Instead of purchasing a UK Crossfire, why not just burn ’10

Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instead of purchasing a UK Crossfire, why not just burn ’10

:evil: OK we've all been screwed; that is those of use brave enough to buy last year! :evil:

Not only are we stuck with a car that is losing around ’1k per month, but also the lower price has opened the floodgates to Mr average that would have previously purchased the crappy Hyundai Coupe.

It's dropped from TT/SLK league to Peugeot 406 Coupe and any other piece of crap that no one can shift.

Yeah I'm pissed!

Chrysler make ***** cars - we all know that but the Crossfire had the potential to change all this - it didn't! It just cost us all lots of money, except for the people now jumping on the cheap bandwagon.

The Roadster will go the same way - no one will buy this until DCUK hack ’5k off the price, and those that do will be royally fucked as we have been. :!:

Do any of us honestly think that we can sell this car right now, today, for more that ’18k? :?: If you do youfre fools! I'm sorry to say and this does include myself.

Before deciding on the Crossfire I test-drove the 350Z, TT, RX8 etc.. Unfortunately I decided on a car no one has heard of, or will be interested to buy.

Now donft get me wrong, this is one incredible machine! People still stop and stare, but my point is for ’1k per month I could have leased a ’60k Porsche 911!

I see people on this forum now going on about how little they can arrange a personal lease for and good luck to them.

Beware though! - Chrysler does not give a toss when it comes to customer service or loyalty - problems you will find with the car are:

Misting front lights
Poor quality leather seats that will start to seriously wear around 5,000 miles
Doors & windows that donft shut properly
Problems with manual gearboxes
ETC, ETC, ETC

My advice is, if you're about to buy one good luck it's a big risk! If you purchased at the full price then show your disappointment by writing to DCUK - unfortunately this will make no difference as we have all found out.

Now I know people will say, "I bought the car for it's styling and the depreciation doesn't matter" - Donft kid yourself, if you had the chance to go back wait six months and have the same car for ’8k cheaper we ALL would.

It's certainly the last time a Chrysler will be in my garage! Down to Mercedes tomorrow looking at the new SLK! Yes more depreciation but wont be stuck with a pig no one has heard of & is more expensive than burning my salary as I earn it.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:10 PM

I'm sorry, man.... But I don't feel your pain. I wanted the car. I asked the price. We agreed and I paid it. But I wasn't looking for an investment either. I just saw this really good looking car and after I drove it I had to have it. If MSRP had been about $5k more I probably would have paid that too. Now I have what I wanted and if someone else can get a better deal then good for them. I'm not planning on selling mine for a very long time. In fact I'm drawing up plans, in my head, as to what I'm going to do to it when my warranty is up. Another reason I'm still happy is probably that I have a great dealer and the very few, very minor problems I've had were fixed very quickly and I've been treated very professionally.

I am sorry though, for those of you that don't plan on keeping the car for a long time and find that you have lost money. Go buy a new Ferrari and see how much you flush down the toilet as you drive away from the dealer. It appears that, especially the UK folks have been it pretty hard. In the U.S. I don't see DC making any great deals. Other than the Crossfire lite version.

Just remember that when you're looking at the SLK you're still dealing with DC. :?:

Old 07-26-2004, 01:46 PM

Dude, chill out. Any idiot who decides to buy a new car as an investment is a fool. Plus, you should have known that car dealers always put aggressive deals in place after a new car is a year or so old. What the hell did you think would happen? At the end of the day you are driving a beautifully designed $35K car that Mercedes charges an extra $10+K for (CLK). What is not to love about that. And as for service, my dealer has been fabulous. Any question, comment, or concern I have is addressed....pick a better dealer next time.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM

If you're looking for better quality, I wouldn't go to a Mercedes dealer. Believe it or not, there isn't much of a quality difference between Chrysler and Mercedes. Look at the JD Power and Consumer Reports web sites. If you want top quality, it's going to be a Japanese car.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:16 PM

I have had my sweet little ride since the first of the year. My depreciation to date undoubtably would average over $1000 a month. This is right in line with what I would have predicted. Seems to me to be right in line with the early depreciation rates of my last few new cars. No major surprise here so I do not feel your pain either. If I was thinking investments I would not be thinking of new cars. If I was thinking of getting a good looking, nice, reasonably priced, personal sized, sport coupe I guess I did the right thing.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:37 PM

:evil: Don't you just love how someone joins the forum - does one post the same day - just to knock our car?

screwedRUS - Go Away and cry to someone else, and take your foul mouth with you. Obviously, none of us feel your pain. We have all enjoyed the ownership of a great car, even with it's flaws.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:42 PM

All new cars depreciate except for incredibly difficult to get cars. The car represents good value for money even at 28k. 24k just happens to be an even better price, but that's price DC have had to pay for the poor image of the Chrysler brand in the UK. Ditching through the leasing channel made room for the more appealing (to some) convertible to take over as the main model.

None of us can predict the future, so don't be upset when it's not a road paved with gold.

Has the reason you bought a Crossfire become invalid all of a sudden?

Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM

I can feel the pain,mines done 2200 miles,I'm losing ’4 per mile at the going rate,Chrysler dealer wont return my calls since I've asked for a trade in figure.The car is great but DCUK have had some of us over and shoved us where it really hurts.We all work hard for our money to buy the pleasures in life but we have been well and truly rammed on this deal.
We pre-order a car which over here,UK,the invoice price went up daily until it got to ’28,500 then week before delivery slap on another ’400 for SPECIAL PAINT (yes it actually sticks to the bodywork).
As for reducing prices a year or so into a cars life,in the UK it has only been on the road for 7 months,some Countries are only just getting their first batches.
Pissed Off -Yes

But Life Goes On

Old 07-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

Vegas,

I can understand how some of us over here feel cheated. We bought the XF in good faith and if it had been a ’1k cashback I wouldn't feel so bad, but ’4k is a lot (Whats that about $6000 - about the same price a the Renntech Upgrade 3/4!!). I don't mind if it opens the door to others who couldn't originally afford the XF. [If I had forked out ’40k on an SLK I would be miffed at DC having the XF in the first place.]

I have a mate who imports Boxsters and can get an S delivered to me in RHD for about ’32k. This is a saving of about ’8k over list and is full UK spec. Guys who buy list are upset when they realise what they can save. Most of us could probably saved more by sourcing the RHD model from mainland Europe.

Point is, I wanted an XF, so I bought one. Thought I got a good deal to get ’1k discount, so good luck to anyone who can negotiate a better deal.

I would rather see the car a success and continued in production so I can get a new one in 2008 (when my deal comes to an end).

DC do need to address their pricing policy, as they are alienating the same group that would buy the next production concept. As it is, many will now go back to BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. I had the same problem with my previous PT Cruiser; it dropped in price so my residual value went down, but I saved the same when I traded it in for a new one. My Voyager is holding its value very well.

Got to remember a car depreciates and only costs you money. The amount depends on the model of the car, the pricing policy and how much you drive it.

Lets make sure DC is aware of our angst, but lets not forget to enjoy owning our XFs.

And if you want a Roadster, the lesson is to wait until the Autumn/Winter when sales a slow, then you will get a bargain.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by english_bob
Vegas,
I can understand how some of us over here feel cheated. We bought the XF in good faith and if it had been a ’1k cashback I wouldn't feel so bad, but ’4k is a lot (Whats that about $6000 - about the same price a the Renntech Upgrade 3/4!!). I don't mind if it opens the door to others who couldn't originally afford the XF. [If I had forked out ’40k on an SLK I would be miffed at DC having the XF in the first place.]
........And if you want a Roadster, the lesson is to wait until the Autumn/Winter when sales a slow, then you will get a bargain.
Yes - I understand what you are saying. My real objection was someone we have never heard of before coming on the forum just to stir up trouble and use abusive language. I would not have made the same post had you or any other active member made a statement close to what he made. That was really my point. :wink:

Old 07-26-2004, 03:37 PM

Makes me feel better that i bought the ex-demo car with 3000 miles and ’5k discount

Old 07-26-2004, 03:50 PM

I there a forum moderator who can modify or remove posts containing bad language? Most other forums ban uders who use foul language.

Said that I know how screwedRUS must feel I lost ’17k on a TVR in 18 months, so similar depreciation. That memory still hurts!

Cars are a lottery you nearly always lose!

I really feel for you screwedRUS but hang on to the car for another couple of years, a car of this calibre will never drop below ’15k. You will be spreading the depreciation over a longer period, thus softening the blow.

Regards

Mel (Still in love with my Xfire.....my baby is 3 days old now!)

Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

The only real problem is the long term precident that D/C is setting by lowering their pricing so much on a brand new vehicle. How can they expect people to go out and buy their next new design, when by waiting you can really save some money. I just think they did not plan this out very well.

I love my car, and I am glad I bought it, but had I known I could have saved $7K-$8K by waiting only 8 months, and being able to get "blue" to boot, I may have waited.

After all, $8K in my pocket is better than not in my pocket...... I could have one heck of a scuba vacation trip with that money!

When it is time for another new "first year" car, I will probably think more with my head than with my emotions!!!!!!

I also plan to keep my car for a long time, so I agree that it will even itself out. It is just disappointing to see such a great car treated this way by D/C. They never really figured out the market and seem to have given up on it.

And Vegas - I wish I knew why some people can not learn how to vent their frustrations in a more civil tone!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:55 PM
RGT

Has anyone bought a new car that didn't lose at least 20% of it's value the moment you left the lot?

Go cry to the mean old car salesman who told you it would be worth more with higher mileage.

Never look at the price of anything you have already purchased, everything goes on sale the moment after you leave the store, get used to it.

Matt
P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're so worried about losing value too quickly, maybe you should have leased.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:46 PM
RGT

Good point, Dirtboy!

Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Default Crossfire price

Not sure where to start, we own a few cars, an everyday large Volvo estate, and a weekend fun car a perfect Camaro Z28 with a few extra muscle bits.. it might even go faster than the xfire !! we bought our Crossfire because we loved the design and found out the engineering underneath was brilliant... this car drives superbly and we should know we do about 70000 miles a year...

This car is new.... and the price now is irrelevant... just look at the way camaro prices are, the old ones are worth twice as much as the newer ones.. its a question of what people want..

The crossfire is rare.. by any standards... and sure if I was Chrysler I would want to shift inventory... it doesnt mean that once the car catches on it wont become more valuable... that will only happen if it is a quality car... personaly I think for a chrysler it oozes quality..which is the biggest surprise... our dealer is very attentive and helpful.. professional is a good word to use.

I think as more of us older guys who like and can afford toys try it ,it will become very sort after.. in the meantime enjoy what you bought and think of it as a car not an investment

I plan to drive at least 50k miles each year.. and I think the car is up to it.. we will see..

I think you should say thank you to chrysler for having the guts and determination to build a concept car.. they need encoaraging ... and yes we will be testing the roadster...!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Forum Regular

It would be nice if DC showed just a bit of loyalty to those have paid full price (a free service, a set of luggage etc.) to lesson the blow and to build back the relationship.

My salesman is very apologetic and denies any knowledge of this reduction (since I have now bought 4 Chryslers from him, I do trust him). Seems like DC UK just decided to move stock. People won't buy a car that they don't see on the road. I think that prices could revert to list once they have shifted the backlog, which may help our residuals.

I really do want to support a company which puts it concepts into production, but the lesson we are learning is not to buy early and wait until the prices come down. This will reduce DCs profits, so we will not see the cars in future.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Forum Regular

I HATE CHRYSLER WITH A PASSION

I was looking forward to putting my order down on the 300C which is due out sometime next year (dealer has no clue again) but I know now that I would be a bad idea to buy from new as it WILL be a sales turkey.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Forum Regular

MARK,

I think the 300C will be a flop here too. Maybe they will have to reduce its prices to move stock. Shame though cos its a pretty decent motor. I had considered getting a SeeBring Convertible (saw one at the PT Cruiser meet last year, along with some Vipers and a Prowler), but DC UK offered no support in getting one.

I think there are a number of manufacturers who view the UK market as poisoned chalice. They have to make cars with steering wheels on the other side, but it is one of the the most profitable markets. Downside is that volumes are relatively tiny in comparison with mainland Europe and the US.

I think I will compose a letter and send it to the DC Magazine to see what response I get regarding the way DC UK have treated us.

Quick Reply: Instead of purchasing a UK Crossfire, why not just burn ’10