Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driving along and then...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Driving along and then...

Hi all,

My father's N/A crossfire has recently been experiencing a rather strange issue. He will be driving along and then suddenly all the warning lights will come on the spoiler would raise followed by the car switching to limp mode.

I will be taking it to a shop today to see if it is throwing any codes but I wanted to put the problem out there to the forum members before I take it in.

From some inital searching I found a similar issue relating to the transmission conducter plate. Does anyone tend to agree?

Thanks,

Michael

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Driving along and then....

Original Battery?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Original Battery?
No, we changed it over about 8 months ago.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM

weak alternator?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by simmie777
No, we changed it over about 8 months ago.
You still may want to have it checked. The spoiler going up is almost always a low voltage issue.

James

Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Hi all,

My father's N/A crossfire has recently been experiencing a rather strange issue. He will be driving along and then suddenly all the warning lights will come on the spoiler would raise followed by the car switching to limp mode.

I will be taking it to a shop today to see if it is throwing any codes but I wanted to put the problem out there to the forum members before I take it in.

From some inital searching I found a similar issue relating to the transmission conducter plate. Does anyone tend to agree?

Thanks,

Michael
As far as I know limp mode protects the transmission and only operates in second gear. I would check the tranny for leaks and check that it is full with oil. The code that is stored will tell you with some certainty what the problem is.

Has there been any signs of a leak?

I had my 300 go into limp mode and they replaced a solenoid. The trouble originates from the electro/hydraulic plate. A dealer may want to replace all of it. $$$$$$$
There are actually two main components that make up the unit and both will not be bad, so they could replace one unit. But only a small item will be bad and that can be replaced.

If it is warranty work they will replace the small part, but if they think they can score a big check from you they will replace as much as possible.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Thank for your replies so far. I will make sure the shop checks alternator capacity and the battery. OneHundread80 I'm lucky that I know all the major people at the workshop. It's actually a Mazda dealership but the mechanic that works there is very good and will always give it to me straight. He has saved me thousands since I stop taking the crossfires to the Chrysler dealerships. They are always happy to install any parts I have sourced from elsewhere/overseas and having taken a real interest in the crossfire and haven a genuine respect for it. Hopefully the code reader will reveal all or else it looks like a trial an error scenario...which usually translates to $$$

Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 AM

Just got back from my mechanic and they ran the car through the code reader. As I suspected no codes were present! I also had him check the alternator and battery, all were fine. So this makes me think we are back at the trans....your thoughts?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Default Re: Driving along and then...

Hi all,

Thanks,

Michael
I know this sounds too strange to consider, but you may want to look for pooling water that's leaked into the "well" of the trunk area. Tell-tale dampness under the rear deck cover immediately after a rain may be the tip off. There are some electrical devices (locking system vacuum pump) and connectors that can get wet/corrode and cause some odd and intermittent problems. Ask me how I know this .

While its next to impossible to find out where a leak come in, there is a plug and low-point drain hole that the stuff can drain out.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 AM

Ok so in the end I have had to take the car to a Mercedes dealership. It threw two codes P600 and P720. They are certain it needs a new EPS/ABS Module, but they wont install it saying that they can't warranty the work because it's not a mercedes and there is a potential to fry the module. Could someone confrim this for me?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM

P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction

DTC Codes - P0600-P0699 - Computer Output Circuit
This set of codes are associated with the PCM (Power Control Module)

DTC Codes - P0700-P0899 - Transmission
These set of code are associated with the Transmission and its module.

Nothing to do with the EPS/ABS. Since the codes covered 2 different modules and symptoms indicate flashing lights and spoiler deployment, maybe the RCM (relay control module) might need some attention. Just a guess but the link to the RCM module repair is a lot cheeper then ether of the other modules..... Just a guess

Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris2806126
P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction

DTC Codes - P0600-P0699 - Computer Output Circuit
This set of codes are associated with the PCM (Power Control Module)

DTC Codes - P0700-P0899 - Transmission
These set of code are associated with the Transmission and its module.

Nothing to do with the EPS/ABS. Since the codes covered 2 different modules and symptoms indicate flashing lights and spoiler deployment, maybe the RCM (relay control module) might need some attention. Just a guess but the link to the RCM module repair is a lot cheeper then ether of the other modules..... Just a guess
RCM fix: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Seems simple enough

Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM

My money is on the speed sensor.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Speed sensor is part of the Transmission Electric Plate....right?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Did a resoldering job about 6 monhts ago

Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You could be right, but they just don't want to through parts at the problem. It really annoys me that I can't seem to find anyone that is helpful enough. Whoever came up with the name "service centre" must have never owned a crossfire

Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 AM

You could be right, but they just don't want to through parts at the problem. It really annoys me that I can't seem to find anyone that is helpful enough. Whoever came up with the name "service centre" must have never owned a crossfire
Limp mode which is second gear is always a transmission problem, it can come and go and it will finally stay in limp mode. It is to protect the transmission. The engine takes care of itself in other ways.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

You might start snooping around the Transmission Control Module - look for (and I know you heard this before) water intrusion under the mat on the passenger side, and look over the TCM itself.

I have not had an auto in over two years - can't remember exactly WHERE the TCM is, but I know its in the cockpit around the shift / passenger's feet.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
You might start snooping around the Transmission Control Module - look for (and I know you heard this before) water intrusion under the mat on the passenger side, and look over the TCM itself.

I have not had an auto in over two years - can't remember exactly WHERE the TCM is, but I know its in the cockpit around the shift / passenger's feet.
It's mounted right beside the amplifier in the passenger foot well.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will give the dealer a call today and ask him to check the TCM. Oh yeah and apparently my CPS is gone as well!

Quick Reply: Driving along and then...