Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tire disaster BUT, I still love my XFire

Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire disaster BUT, I still love my XFire

This is my first post and I have only had my Crossfire for three weeks, but I wanted to share my recent tire drama. Thought it might help others.

I am from Birmingham, AL and I had taken a road trip to Connecticut to take in a U.S. Soccer match. I had stopped in Baltimore to visit friends and on Tuesday morning (Aug 3) I got up early in the morning to begin the long drive (12 hours) back to Birmingham. I had a wonderful trip so far and had fallen in love with my new car. I was happy that I had beaten all the D.C. traffic and I decided to stop in Northern Virginia to get gas. When I was getting back on the on-ramp, I could see an item about 4 inches by 5 inches. I quickly turned the wheel to avoid it, but my back passenger side tire hit it. I could hear the thud as my tire spun it off and it hit under my car. I quickly looked at the tire pressure monitor and prayed that the object had not caused me to have a flat tire. After about 10 seconds, the light came on. I saw that the next exit was 1 mile and had to make a decision whether to pull over or make it to the next stop....my biggest concern was damaging the wheel (because I had read the cost of those on this forum). Well, I decided to make it to the next stop.

I got out to survey the damage and figured I would try the fix-it-kit in the trunk. I was a 29 year old female traveling alone, so I had several Southern gentlemen come up and try to help :-) The kit did not work, but one of the gentlemen told me of a local tire shop. When I called, the man was very helpful but said he did not have a 19" tire. He said he would call around and call me back. After about 30 minutes he called back and said the closest one was in Harrisonburg, VA and could not get there until the next morning. I called Chrysler towing (which was very helpful) and had them tow me to the tire shop. The tire guys were able to patch the tire, however it kept losing pressure. Then they saw that the object I ran over had punctured right through the tire and into the wheel. For the next 6 hours, the tire shop tried to work with Chrysler and the Chrysler dealership in town to get me a wheel. This was Tuesday and Chrysler said the only one they could find was in New York but they could not get it to me until at least Friday, but maybe not until Monday....WHAT????? Even though I said I would pay overnight shipping they said there was nothing they could do to expedite it. So I got a rental car and checked into the local hotel. I called Chrysler customer service on Wednesday and Thursday and kept getting the run around. They said they could see the tire had been shipped (from Orlando - not New York) but there was no way they could track it for me....WHAT????? So after being stuck in this town for three days I decided to drive 35 minutes to the closest Kinko's and get on the Internet and check EBay. Sure enough I found a wheel. I frantically tried to get in contact with the seller to see if he could ship it overnight. I spoke to him the next morning and he said he could help me out. I got a wheel (with a small scratch) AND a new tire (thought I better get an extra even though mine was successfully patched) for $250. UPS charged $195 for overnight guarantee by 8:30 am, but it was worth it. Got the tire and wheel the next morning and had it put on. Then I called Chrysler to tell them I had taken care of it myself. I am extremely frustrated with Chrysler and their Customer Care, but when I got back into my car to finally head home (after being stranded in a small town for 4 days) I realized that despite it all I LOVE my Crossfire. I was never happier to be reunited with anything in my entire life! LESSON LEARNED: When in need, check E-Bay :-)

Old 08-07-2004, 11:32 AM

Welcome new member - glad to see your tire drama didn't lessen your love of this great car.

Birmingham, eh... I'm just a stones throw north of you in Huntsville.

We should plan some weekend xfire trips!!

Old 08-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one Bad thing is no spare in these cars and driving on very vulnerable tires "low profile."And DC wonders why the XF is not selling that well DAH!The no spare tire can cost a Grand out of pocket if you're stranded .Maybe WE can get no spare hotel insurance!The replacement tire stores offer roadhazard coverage on the tires they sell.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:42 AM

Hearing the tire stories here makes me want to buy a spare 19' from Tire Rack and put it in my garage.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:42 AM

Welcome to the forum. Your story, and others that are similar on various threads about tires and wheels, have rised my concern due to the roadway conditions in Korea. If I have a damaged wheel it take a month to get another.

Maybe I should start looking for extra wheels before I get my Crossfire in Korea. Not sure where I will store them but I think its a good idea nonetheless.

What was Chrysler's final response to your solution?

Old 08-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Banned

I guess we should ask DC to provide a space saver spare.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:52 AM

keijoh: I imagine if I had such a problem then it would be a bigger disater if you had to order a wheel. In response to your question, Chrysler's response was nothing. When I told them I had taken matters into my own hands and got one off EBay, they were apologetic that I had problems. When I had first contacted them, they were more comcerned about telling me that the wheel would not be under warranty and I would have to pay for it. I told them that I understood that, and that was the least of my problems at that point. Oh, and they told me that there was a recall on my intake filter and they wanted to know if the dealer I bought it from had told me about the recall. When I said they had not told me, Chrysler Care said that they would call the dealer to make sure they knew to do a better job of notifying folks about the recall :-)

Old 08-07-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mjanowich
Hearing the tire stories here makes me want to buy a spare 19' from Tire Rack and put it in my garage.
What about an 18" one for the front???

Old 08-07-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Exactly where would it be stored???

Old 08-07-2004, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Betcha he can hook you up with someone that'll sell you a small outdoor storage shed for a really gud deal! Just PM him for more info.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Betcha he can hook you up with someone that'll sell you a small outdoor storage shed for a really gud deal! Just PM him for more info.
:lol::lol::lol: Still can't stop... :lol::lol::lol: I was hoping for a continental kit or some fancy rope to tie it on the roof. :wink::wink:

Ouch!!! :wink:

Old 08-07-2004, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
:lol::lol::lol: Still can't stop... :lol::lol::lol: I was hoping for a continental kit or some fancy rope to tie it on the roof. :wink::wink:
Ouch!!! :wink:
David And AZ:

Old 08-08-2004, 12:02 AM

I can get you a good deal on used motorcycle trailers. They were only used once to carry a dog, some slight wipe up is needed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PM me for details :wink: :wink: :wink:

Old 08-08-2004, 01:41 AM

CeeBee, I love your graphics. :lol:

Old 08-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular

You guys are killin' me..............

:lol:

Old 08-08-2004, 01:02 PM

Jim... check out her new sig block.... :wink:

Old 08-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

A space saver will fit in the back.But you might have to take a few 12 packs out.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:26 PM

I got an extra set of wheels on e-bay. Keep them at my office and can have them fedxed to me. But, depending time of day and location if I have a problem will still have to wait a least one day. Better solution would be to just buy any 18 or 19' wheel that fits and replace it when you get home.

Thought about carrying one on the roof but doesn't look to good and messes up the aero. Just kidding

Old 08-08-2004, 04:58 PM

BullFrog seems to have solved the problem. He has 2 Xfires, that way you always have 4 spares at home, hehe.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by leebea
CeeBee, I love your graphics. :lol:
Originally Posted by jsisabella
You guys are killin' me.............. :lol:

Quick Reply: Tire disaster BUT, I still love my XFire