Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

back window spot???

Old 08-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back window spot???

my dealer is putting me off saying every crossfire has the problem and the factory hasn't figured it out. why put a new window in with the same problem?

has anyone seen a chrysler fix/cure? any action??

i'm talking about the irregular whitening roundish spot that seems to develop on most crossfire back windows lower corners.

dan

Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Forum Regular

I have received no info back from DC. I will call up tomorrow if I have time to see what the story is.

-marc

Old 08-15-2004, 10:16 PM

Dan, I just looked at mine: it's a little dark even with the garage light on to see the spots, but I noticed the window has an area along the bottom were water (etc) can come in contact with the under side of the glass. Could this delema possibly be caused by calcium deposits were the water sits at the bottom underside corners when drying due to gravity/ roll off? If so, a q-tip and a little viniger should do the trick.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by X-LR8
Dan, I just looked at mine: it's a little dark even with the garage light on to see the spots, but I noticed the window has an area along the bottom were water (etc) can come in contact with the under side of the glass. Could this delema possibly be caused by calcium deposits were the water sits at the bottom underside corners when drying due to gravity/ roll off? If so, a q-tip and a little viniger should do the trick.

the dealer says he has had his best detail guy on it and they have not found a way to clean/repair/prevent. there's lots of theories about what causes it but nothing from germany yet.

he is ok with replacing but the next one is just about guranteed to have or get the same problem.

dan

Old 08-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular

The only way i know of to repair it is to pull off the window, clean it, apply the ceramic coating and bake it on with one of those special lamp things...

I bet we get bent over on this deal.

The easiet way for them to repair it is to replace the window and send in the old ones to be refubiished so they can be sent to futture claims with this issue. It's costly and probably effects a rather large percentatge of the cars. I bet they expect a 100% failure rate over time. What you hear is also correct - Until they can root cause it and implement a permanent soltion they are probably not going to replace anything.

-marc

Old 08-16-2004, 09:43 AM

Hi guys i have the same problem in my '05 its about the size of a quarter on the right lower edge however the '04 doesn't have it yet????? I will call DC and document this so maybe they can start issuing a TSB or eventually a recall on the glass.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

since it isn't a safety related issue, there isn't likely going to be any recall . best case scenario it would be treated like the early stereos with the poor displays and replaced if the customer complains. even then, dcx might not want that level of exposure. only a couple thousand cars with the poor stereo displays were shipped thus limiting the number of ones that they would ever have to replace. there are probably more than 30K crossfires with the rear window condition. it would cost millions to repair or replace all of them. the issue here may be at which point will the manufacturer willingly correct a relatively minor cosmetic defect. and it might also be argued that it is an imperfection rather than a defect. at any rate it will be interesting to learn what dcx has to say and if anything will be done.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
at any rate it will be interesting to learn what dcx has to say and if anything will be done.
honestly, the reason for my post is to try to keep the heat on. i strongly suspect they've looked at it and decided the fix will cost too much money so they'll just try to stonewall.

if we keep chewing on them then maybe....

dan

Old 08-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob M
the issue here may be at which point will the manufacturer willingly correct a relatively minor cosmetic defect.
I know I'd never even noticed it until it was first brought up here. And unless you know exactly what to look for and where, and look for it in just the right lighting condition, I'll hazard a guess that 99.9% of Crossfire owners will never even know it's there. And unless it's a safety issue (doubtful) or resale value issue (again doubtful since it's very hard to know it's there) that enough people complain about, I'm betting D/C will do NOTHING about it.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular

the guy working on it for me is out today.. I will try to remember to check on this tomorrow again.

-marc

Old 08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no spots but I don't wash the car with a hose.1 year old.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

My service manager was told to contact a glass company to see if the coating could be reapplied. He was also told not to replace it as the replacment will end up with the same problem. He is trying to arrange something now with a glass company.

-marc