Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

ROUGH IDLE

Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROUGH IDLE

I'm encountering a rough idle when car is standstill at a light. When the car is at normal operating temp is more apparent. You can feel like the car wants to shut off and i've encoutered the same exact problem with my '04 and with my mothers CLK320 that carries the same engine. Could this be normal or just one of the flaws in this engine design. It's real annoying that this engine cannot idle smooth. Any suggestions.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular

BullFrog,

Mine idles with no problems at all. At times I have to check the engine is still running.

Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs? A few threads have indicated that one of their spark plugs has got dirty.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:00 PM

I'm going to have the dealer check it out. The car only has 1,000 miles and the '04 has about 4,200 miles. Like i said it's smooth and revs smoothly its just when you come to the light or a stop sign the car just starts idling roughly to the point where you can see it in the rpm gage slowly moving up and down so i know this is not normal. I'm gonna have it checked out today.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe the dealer didn't do all their checks before you picked the car up. When I test drove one before I purchased it had just come off the delivery lorry the day before. It did have a rough idle, this was a manual transmission, and the dealer said it was because they had not carried out the checks on the car yet. It also had higher tyre pressure and thus a rougher ride. This is to stop the car moving about too much when on the back of the lorry.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: ROUGH IDLE

Originally Posted by BullFrog
I'm encountering a rough idle when car is standstill at a light. When the car is at normal operating temp is more apparent. You can feel like the car wants to shut off and i've encoutered the same exact problem with my '04 and with my mothers CLK320 that carries the same engine. Could this be normal or just one of the flaws in this engine design. It's real annoying that this engine cannot idle smooth. Any suggestions.
I have a similar problem and the dealer says no error codes are being recorded, but they have felt the "missing" while sitting in the car... Someone else had a problem as well and they said the dealer re-flashed the ECU and that there was a TSB on the problem, but I have not been able to find a TSB, nor has the dealer... Let me know what you find out... maybe DFWBR can help since he works for DC

Old 08-18-2004, 12:31 AM

Be sure to read the post I previously put up. I had the same problem. I took it in and there is a TSB that will fix this. I have had no problems since I had it in. It has to do with running some flash upgrades on the computer. Make sure the tech checks for a TSB. I will try to call the dealer tomorrow and get the TSB info and post it.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 AM

CF... I have been waiting for the info on your TSB since your repair... If you don't have the info, give me the name and # of your dealer and I will call, as there are no TSB's listed anywhere... Thanks

Old 08-18-2004, 10:45 AM

I called this morning to the dealer. They told me there wasn't a TSB # they could give me. That this was not something that was related to all Crossfires. They ran my VIN# and evidently this update came up. I wish I could provide more info but that is all they could (or would) tell me.

My dealer is Larson Chrysler in Tacoma, Wa 253-474-0621

Keep in mind the original post about the problem I was having was penned by my BF who is the ultimate gearhead. (Gotta love it) So forgive my lack of knowledge here. :lol: ops:

Old 08-18-2004, 11:22 AM

thanks, it's going in tomorrow for this and i will let you guys know what they tell me.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 AM

Bullfrog: what your vin# with the car you're having the problem with ???

Old 08-19-2004, 02:50 PM

Bullfrog... My mechanic found that rough idle was being caused by loose PCV hose that is attached to the throttle body... Said that some of the cars that were delivered didn't even have the hose attached... If you are familiar with the engine, remove your airbox and the airflow meter... The hose is just below the airflow meter... re-insert the PCV hose or tighten its connection... This fixed my problem finally...