Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Mod avaliability

Old 08-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod avaliability

What are the best mods to improve acceleration in an automatic coupe? Does anyone have an automatic coupe solidly in the 14s?

Old 08-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the "Tech" forum................

Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 PM

Chip it. Check the Technical & Modification forum for details. There is some experimentation with changing the air intake also, but no real solid numbers for that mod.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Default Re: Mod avaliability

Originally Posted by jas142
What are the best mods to improve acceleration in an automatic coupe? Does anyone have an automatic coupe solidly in the 14s?
I order of bang for the buck...
1. K&N Air Filters (<$100)
2. ECU "chip" mod ($300-$700 depending on company)
3. Exhaust mod ($500-$1000 ???)
4. airbox/intake mod ($500-$1000 ???)
5. aftermarket Supercharger (~$12k)
6. StarTech/RennTech/etc. ($15k and up???)

That ordering is solely MY opinion, based on what I've seen people posting here since ~January.

Set aside a weekend and read all the threads in the Tech/Mods section if you want to see what people have tried, results, what didn't work, what did, what looks like it'll never work, what might happen if enough people express interest, etc.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 PM
RGT

The cheapest of all:
Learn how to use that auto-stick. It won't let you go over the red line. It may sound like it's going to explode, but if you hit the red line, it'll just upshift for you.

I usually just step on it in first, it'll red line pretty quick into second, then I'll slap it into third around 5 grand. When it's time for fourth, I just put her back into drive and let the car do the rest.
*And turn that traction control off.

Matt

Old 08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RGT
The cheapest of all:
Learn how to use that auto-stick. It won't let you go over the red line. It may sound like it's going to explode, but if you hit the red line, it'll just upshift for you.

I usually just step on it in first, it'll red line pretty quick into second, then I'll slap it into third around 5 grand. When it's time for fourth, I just put her back into drive and let the car do the rest.
*And turn that traction control off.

Matt
sound like a lot of work for an autostick.. maybe you should have just bought the manual 6 speed... :twisted:

Old 08-28-2004, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
sound like a lot of work for an autostick.. maybe you should have just bought the manual 6 speed... :twisted:
Ahhh...but therein lies the beauty of it...when you WANT to, you can. With a manual, you always have to shift. Bumper to bumper traffic for miles on end for me is a real bummer in a manual (after my 87 Turbo Coupe, nevermore...).

Old 08-29-2004, 09:13 AM
RGT

I've owned a lot of stick shifts before.
I love the autostick!

Besides, my wife has arthritis and can't shift a manual. So in order to appease her ("Like we need a 5th vehicle!") I got the auto. After learning how it handles, I'm glad I did.

Matt

Old 08-29-2004, 12:08 PM

Well, I have to confess. I've always enjoyed and prefered a stick shift over an auto but the time has finally come that I am hoping to trade #2815 in for an Auto-Stick. IMO the MB 6-speed is just too clunky. The shift from 1st to 2nd is very short and not smooth at all. Maybe old age has set in more than I'd care to admit.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and test drove the Auto-Stick. The difference between the two transmissions is like night and day. To me the power was the same only this time it was a very smooth shifting auto transmission.

The search is on, they are looking for a new '04 SSB Auto-Stick for me. They will take mine in trade with 13k miles on it and send me out the door for $50.00 more a month than I'm paying now. They had all the colors on their lot except a SSB. The only catch to making the change is they have to find me a SSB car. They are hoping on finding one and doing a dealer trade to get me a new car.

I hate to see #2815 go but that 6-speed is a real pain in the butt and no longer any fun....

Old 08-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

Hey that's like a 13k miles test drive !That's a great deal only $50 out of pocket no down ?

Old 08-29-2004, 02:12 PM

Oh come on AJ - admit it - you just want another set of luggage!

Good Luck with your search!! We will miss #2815 though (especially Sunny) :wink:

Old 08-29-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Hey that's like a 13k miles test drive !That's a great deal only $50 out of pocket no down ?
Nope, no money down or out of pocket, itfs an end of month, end of model year swap with a few discounts thrown in. My total cost is $50.00 more a month on a new loan. I had some equity in the car to offset a few things since I put a large down payment on #2815.

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
Oh come on AJ - admit it - you just want another set of luggage!

Good Luck with your search!! We will miss #2815 though (especially Sunny) :wink:
Nope, it wasnft the luggagec just getting older and wanted a smooth easy ride like some of the other older folks here. You know, like gyouh have with CEE BEEc and yes, Ifm sure Sunny will miss the goldh AZXFIRE. You couldnft just keep that between us Shuckfs Survivors, could you??? Girls!!! What are we to do with you??? Since you ghadh to let the cat out of the bag Ifll just show everyone what gSunnyfs" Blaze did to my AZXFIRE when "I" drifted backwards at a stop light. Just another reason to do way with tags on the front end. :wink::P:wink:

There are you happy now???? At least the heavy burden Ifve been carrying on my shoulders since last weekend has been lifted!!!! Free at last, free at last ops:

Old 08-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

I'd trade in too for that deal better than buying new tires and fixing those little marks on your bumper by you rolling back onto sunny. you won't roll backward in an Auto but you will roll forward.!So don't put a plate in front put some foam haha.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Nope, it wasnft the luggagec just getting older and wanted a smooth easy ride like some of the other older folks here. You know, like gyouh have with CEE BEEc
You aren't THAT Old!!! (And are you calling me old??) :wink:
Since you ghadh to let the cat out of the bag Ifll just show everyone what gSunnyfs" Blaze did to my AZXFIRE when "I" drifted backwards at a stop light.
Me?? I didn't say anything - only the "4" of us knew what I was talking about!

There are you happy now???? At least the heavy burden Ifve been carrying on my shoulders since last weekend has been lifted!!!! Free at last, free at last ops:
Yes You Did!!!!! Glad you are free now - doesn't that feel better??

Old 08-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
I'd trade in too for that deal better than buying new tires and fixing those little marks on your bumper by you rolling back onto sunny. you won't roll backward in an Auto but you will roll forward.!So don't put a plate in front put some foam haha.
I still have a ways to go before needing tires and the insurance is only $100 deductable. We don't have front tags in AZ, but maybe the foam might still be a good idea. :wink:

Old 08-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Banned

I was thinking that if I could get a new 04 for $1500 or less and the same or less payment I might get one before they're all gone.If they'll do it.My lic is do tires in a year$900-1,000,and the payment is part of my down.so it would be the same or less !

Old 08-29-2004, 08:36 PM
RGT

Nice bumper hickeys!

I've a small white paint smear from a lawn chair that I let rub up on mine.

At least you can say it was another Crossfire, not a crappy lawn chair!

Matt

Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Banned

Maybe tomorrow.The dealer will let me know tomorrow on a new 04 for the price of tires .We are only $1,000 apart.They have Blaze red, Alabaster and SSB but it has cedar int.not my favorite.All autos.