Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Touch-Up Question Re: rockchip marks on xfire :(

Old 08-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch-Up Question Re: rockchip marks on xfire :(

We have had our red xfire for two months and are sick about having to already repair two paint scuffs left from a rock thrown from an oncoming semi

We picked up a tube of the right color from the dealership for the repair-- as a professional artist, I have a steady hand and am used to paints (just not used to painting on cars, i.e. my new red xfire!) So, obviously I want to do this "right". I have been told to just be sure I don't "bubble" the paint. Does anyone else have any advice towards a successful touch-up paint job?

Also, we are considering a bra to avoid this in the future, but would appreciate your opinions on this too. Thanks for your responses!

Old 08-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Forum Regular

This is a question I would like an answer to. I got my mopar touch up paint last month and tried touching up the chips on the passenger door but it LOOKS LIKE I DID IT (which is not good).

Old 08-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Old 08-28-2004, 03:01 PM

I had a paint chip on my left front fender. I have a Black car so the white really showed ( about 1/16" ) When I went to see my service advisor, he told me that nothing will avoid the touch up look if I use the touch up paint. He took me to the paint shop, whispered something into the mgrs ear, and was told to come back in the morning. They complletely repainted the fender and put it under warranty saying it was "paint spidering". Car looks brand new. I am sure this was a one time courtesy.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dadof4
i use this product and love it.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:27 PM

While this will not fix chips, it will prevent future ones. try getting 3M clearbra or stoneguard. lots of people swear by it.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QS-6MT
try getting 3M clearbra or stoneguard. lots of people swear by it.
The clearbra topic has been discussed at length in the Tech forum. If I remember correctly, there was an issue of some of the products turning yellow within a few months after installation.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 AM

in my experience, I have not seen them turn yellow - to the point that it is instantly noticable. As a matter of fact, most clear bra installs that I have seen are bearly visible in all but direct sunlight.

Maybe your car has a different clear coat or something. good luck.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QS-6MT
in my experience, I have not seen them turn yellow - to the point that it is instantly noticable. As a matter of fact, most clear bra installs that I have seen are bearly visible in all but direct sunlight.

Maybe your car has a different clear coat or something. good luck.
That's not what I said... I do not have the product installed on my car nor would I even consider it living under the hot Arizona sun. I did say:

The clearbra topic has been discussed at length in the Tech forum. If I remember correctly, there was an issue of some of the products turning yellow within a few months after installation.
I have no first hand knowledge with the clearbras... someone in this forum made the comment and I believe he ended up taking it off. Use the search button if you want more info.

What is it lately that people seem to pick out a few words in a post to respond to and then just change the meaning or twist things around? Are things that bad in our government schools??? :roll:

Old 08-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my crossfire is white and the film does tend to yellow in time...this only happens on white cars. would i live w/o the film on my car...no way. great protection. i just replace the film every 2 years if needed...the product has a 5 year warranty.

i use langka for the unprotected area.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
my crossfire is white and the film does tend to yellow in time...this only happens on white cars. would i live w/o the film on my car...no way. great protection. i just replace the film every 2 years if needed...the product has a 5 year warranty.

i use langka for the unprotected area.
Cool I am glad that you saw that I was trying to be helpful. I wish I found out about the film before I got my front end nicked. Now that I think of it, I have not seen the film on a white car. I agree, it is a great product.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Default Thanks...

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and pics. I just ordered the Langka product and in "3-5 days" we will do the repair and check back in here to let you know how it went.

To all, have a great "rock-free" week!
JD

Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
Default Re: Thanks...

Originally Posted by jdmlt
Thanks to all for the great suggestions and pics. I just ordered the Langka product and in "3-5 days" we will do the repair and check back in here to let you know how it went.

To all, have a great "rock-free" week!
JD
I too have ordered some. Not for my baby though - for her Jeep.

If you order from outside North America you may be perplexed by their order form. It only gave me the choice of "Scotland" or "Wales". I did have a brief "For England, Harry, and St George!" moment and considered invading France, but it passed

In the end I chose one of the alternatives (not telling which) and added a note in the remarks bit that the destination country was actually the UK.