Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New here: Crossfire vs. RX8 vs. BMW 325i

Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here: Crossfire vs. RX8 vs. BMW 325i

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here. I'm seriously considering the Crossfire (automatic). How does it fare compared to the RX8 and BMW 325i. Those are the 2 other cars I'm considering.

Does Chrysler install xenons? 6 disk changers?

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:01 AM

The biggest diference is of course the number of seats !! :P
4 for the BMW & Mazda, 2 for the Crossfire.

I did not even try the BMW 325i when I was looking for my new car. Mainly because this is not the same spirit as the two others (You won't have so much fun driving a BMW 325i). Moreover, you can see BMW everywhere here in Europe

Mazda RX8 (the 231Hp or the 193hp): the engine did a so special noise when I test it (like a aeroplane!) due to this bi-rotor system, it was so cool hh (I did 7500 RPM !). I appreciate the quality of materials (for mazda) and the 4 seats. But the RX8 looks like a tuning car, I don't like that. (specially the rear, face is quite aggresive, like it)

Crossifre: can be compared with Nissan 350Z for the fun you can get with (even the automatic transmission). Xenons ? you don't really need as lights are so beautiful on the basic Xfire
6CD loaders : my local Chrysler answered me no but you can do it by yourself, and you need space ... which is quite rare in the Xfire

Old 09-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Forum Regular

ayap888

You need to try them out and make up your own mind.

However, you are considering 3 very different cars there. You really want the 330 for its performance if you go for the BM. The Mazda is a nice car, but it seriously lacks torque.

If you want 4 seats the XF is a no-no.

You should also look at the Audi TT and Nissan 350z (if you haven't already).

I really love my XF and I would definitely buy another.

Good luck with your final choice.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 330ci 2001. It was fully loaded. The only thing it did not have was auto tranny. Great performer but, every body and there mother has one in Scotland. I am noticeing this same trend with the rx8. I think it is because of its price (3-5k cheaper than the xf) alot more people are buying them.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Forum Regular

The RX8 is a good car, and has the additional 2 seats so if I had children I would have probably been forced to have that or a TT which also has 4 seats. But as I don't, and I personally don't like the looks of the RX8, the Crossfire is perfect. I love its styling and the looks it gets. It is more unique, original than anything else, and the low sales figures helps this.

However, recently I have found its small boot a bit of a pain. Makes it less practical as an all-round car. I have been thinking of changing it for something bigger and something cheaper. But not actually done anything about this yet. Just mulling it over in my mind. But every time I go outside and see it on the drive it makes me smile and no BMW can do that. (apart from the Z3 M Coupe but that is too old now and I've had one before).

Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Default Crossfire vs BMW 325

I own both vehicles. They are different. I love my 325 the ride is smoother then the crossfire but the crossfire is a true sports car and rides I bit harder then the bmw. For the money both cars are awesome.

IMO, The question is your requirment for room/space. And the bumper to bumper warranty is a bit better on the BMW.

Again, I love both of my vehicles and you will not go wrong with either choice.

AS for the RX8 all I can say is it is a good looking vehicle, but I have not been in one to give any insight. I am sure one if not more of our great group here can give you input on the RX8.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 AM

I wouldn't put the BMW in the same category with either car. I'm sure you can get one fully loaded with lots of bells and whistles, but it will not perform like the Crossfire or RX-8. By the numbers the RX-8 and Crossfire are very similar, so you should test drive them to make up your mind.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:25 AM

If you drive alot or like spirited driving go with the X-Fire. If you just want a daily COMMOM commuter take the BMW.

I dont say much for the RX8. Its a great looking car, but i dont trust rotary's the previous gen. RX7 was a nightmare i dont know how the new Renesis engine will turn out, however i've notice the RX8 is a bit overdone. They have placed the rotary triangle on virtually every part of the car, front end, seats, etc.

The quality is good but not great look at the headlights they are just plain cheap. The front is great but the rear looks like the owner himself took charge in his garage with some aftermarket parts. The rear seats are TIGHT and NO TORQUE. Reminds me of my S2000, you have to rev the hell out of the mazda to get it to move and reach its soooo called 5.9 sec to 60 mph as the mags claim, otherwise your in the mid to hi 6's. Load the car up with 2 more people and those times climb.

Sorry but lack of torque in a car is a NO NO to me. And you dont want to be revving your engine at 7500 rpm or higher in city driving to get your car to move you want that to happen around 2 to 3K rpms.

The BMW is just plain boring. NOTE: Dont want any flaming remarks from BMW fans here. Its just a nice 4 door euro sports sedan that is overplayed and they are a dime a dozen here in S. Fla. If i had to go with a 325 i'd go with the 330 Coupe. There the power is about equal to the Crossfire, but the 325 is not as powerful as the X-Fire.

the 350z or Audi TT are great comparisons for the X-Fire not a BMW 325i. The RX8 is also a good competitor but i cant quite swallow a true sports car with 4 seats its still mind boggling that added weight of passengers kills performance numbers.

Also the X-Fire would give you a unique car. Rare, not too many on the street, great performance and handling for what it is a touring car cuz its no tire melting Hot Rod but its got more than enough power to make you smile, great exhaust note and a drop dead styling that no car out there can match IMO. Best of all its got lots of Mercedes goodies in it which speak for themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Forum Regular

Let me say this about the trunk space!

I really wouldn't be worried about it.. There's plenty of room back there. And with the luggage set you get with the purchase, it all fits perfectly. My girlfriend and I just got back from a weeks vacation, and we had to drive 8 and a half hours each way, with a ton of stuff in the back of the Crossfire. Ahead of time, we weren't sure if it would all fit, but theres actually a surprising amount of room back there, which I think get's masked by the fact that the rear hatch is just tiny.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:49 AM

I have to agree, i've owned many sportscars which are known not to have trunks at all or small ones at that, but the X-Fire's have suprising luggage space and it's deep not shallow like the 350Z.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
Let me say this about the trunk space!

I really wouldn't be worried about it.. There's plenty of room back there. And with the luggage set you get with the purchase, it all fits perfectly. My girlfriend and I just got back from a weeks vacation, and we had to drive 8 and a half hours each way, with a ton of stuff in the back of the Crossfire. Ahead of time, we weren't sure if it would all fit, but theres actually a surprising amount of room back there, which I think get's masked by the fact that the rear hatch is just tiny.
Yes there is a fair amount of space for a sports coupe. But I need to occasionally put my lawn mower in the back to do my girlfriend's mum's garden and it just won't fit.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

Saldous,

Just buy another lawnmower and keep it at your girlfriend's mum's house. They only cost a couple of hundred pounds. And you won't risk damaging your interior.

I get one of the neighbours to do mine. He charges ’15 and it saves me 2 hours.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 AM

Must be nice! I KNOW i can't fit my lawn mower in the trunk. It's a ford tractor with a 5 ft. mower deck, and it takes me 6 hours to cut the lawn!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Forum Regular

hehe. Yeah, good point, buy another mower would be cheaper and save the car from being damaged.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by saldous
The RX8 is a good car, and has the additional 2 seats so if I had children I would have probably been forced to have that or a TT
I can just squeeze my 3 kids in the boot (trunk) although the 14 year old moans like hell
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 PM

There's not much worse than a moaning 14 yr. old!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 PM

My brother in law bought the RX8 a few months ago and I took the liberty of test-driving it before I bought the XF.
My two cents:
I'm more comfortable in the XF.
Was not thrilled with the styling of the RX8 from some angles.
Loved the RX8 navigation.
I felt like all the RX power was at very high revs, if you like to drive that way then that's not a big deal.
Rather have the traditional MBZ drive train than the rotary engine.
Just FYI and I don't know if it is typical but his RX8 uses oil. The dealer says it's normal but I don't know about that.

Don

Old 09-16-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SJ Crossfire
My brother in law bought the RX8 a few months ago and I took the liberty of test-driving it before I bought the XF.
My two cents:
I'm more comfortable in the XF.
Was not thrilled with the styling of the RX8 from some angles.
Loved the RX8 navigation.
I felt like all the RX power was at very high revs, if you like to drive that way then that's not a big deal.
Rather have the traditional MBZ drive train than the rotary engine.
Just FYI and I don't know if it is typical but his RX8 uses oil. The dealer says it's normal but I don't know about that.

Don
Yes the rx8 uses oil so did the previous rx-7's. I know on the rx-7 oil was used to lube the apex seal and some oil due to this was naturally burned. Thats why most rx7's were nightmares becuase 90 percent of the owners didnt know how to take care of them. Most were running a quart or so low most the time.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:34 PM

Well i'd buy a 330ci 6 speed over the XF. But that was double the payment. Not worth it. The rx-8 doesnt appeal to me at all. And the 325ci is a waste of time. Go beefcake or go home. The TT is a nice ride but is getting dated plus they have an aftermarket for go fast parts unlike our XF's. The 350z is ok but it is gettin a boy racer image like a z28 or stang. I would choose the g35 coupe over the 350z. Or if ya got somemoney to kill buy a srt6 Still might be my next car. That or a STi.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
Must be nice! I KNOW i can't fit my lawn mower in the trunk. It's a ford tractor with a 5 ft. mower deck, and it takes me 6 hours to cut the lawn!
Strap that mowwer to your XF and cut your time to 30 minutes !

Quick Reply: New here: Crossfire vs. RX8 vs. BMW 325i