Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rotten Egg Smell

Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotten Egg Smell

I've noticed that under heavy acceleration my Crossfire exhaust emits a strong sulfur odor which you can smell inside the cabin. At first I thought it might be a catalytic converter issue or possibly an ignition problem. I was hesitant to take it to a dealer because duplication of the situation requires breaking the law (accelerating up to 80 mph or more). :lol:

Then after a little more research I found the following link related to what appears to be the same issue for which Toyota has issued a TSB:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/a...tg/index2.html

The majority of the fuel I've been purchasing is from the same source. Looks like I will be trying different brands of fuel to see if the problem goes away.

Anyone else have a stinky Crossfire?

Old 09-17-2004, 05:22 PM

It could be the sulfur content of the gasoline as the article states. It could also be the catalytic converter.

Under heavy acceleration the car is probably running rich. When this happens the cat. converter's efficiency drops a bit. This is when you'll notice the smell. You'll get a similar, more consistent smell when the catalytic converter starts going bad. You should have many, many miles before you have to start worrying about that, though.