Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rusty wheel arches - repair or time for new car?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rusty wheel arches - repair or time for new car?

My 2003 Crossfire coupe is starting to rust badly around both rear wheel arches. Should I send money getting it repaired or is it already too late to cure? Should i just upgrade?
Thinking of either 2007 Crossfire Srt-6 Convertible or a 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2V6. Alfa better looking but the crossfire is faster. Both have £500 a year road tax & poor mpg. As it rains half the year in the UK & petrol prices going through the roof should I give up and get a Toyota Prius and save myself a fortune?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rusty wheel arches - repair or time for new car?

All of those questions can only be answered by you.

I would think that a decent body shop could accomplish the repairs for less than what a newer car would cost, so that is a plus for repairing the car.

However, and SRT-6 convertible is a rare find and might increase in value eventually. Although, you mention a 2007, to my knowledge, the SRT-6s were only built in 2005 & 2006. And only a very few are said to be built in 2006.

If you're worried about gas prices, you probably shouldn't buy a sports car. It has been my experience that if you are at a point in your life that you can afford a 2 seat sports car of any kind, you are not too concerned about the operating costs of the car. Most people buy cars like these for the driving enjoyment.

Just my two cents.

RL

Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by tiochta
My 2003 Crossfire coupe is starting to rust badly around both rear wheel arches. Should I send money getting it repaired or is it already too late to cure? Should i just upgrade?
Thinking of either 2007 Crossfire Srt-6 Convertible or a 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2V6. Alfa better looking but the crossfire is faster. Both have £500 a year road tax & poor mpg. As it rains half the year in the UK & petrol prices going through the roof should I give up and get a Toyota Prius and save myself a fortune?
What is its mileage and general condition?
Very few Crossfires have bad rust (yet - even the early ones) - so unless you're really unlucky, it's not likely to have rotted through, so should be an easy fix. Plus, even in excellent condition they're only worth a few grand; so with tatty arches, you'd have to sell it cheap and it won't put much in your pocket towards a replacement.
If the car is otherwise good with plenty of life left in it, remember why you originally bought it, get it tidied up - and enjoy it!
Virtually all RHD UK SRT6s are 2006 - there were only about 115 of them (prob. about 45 convertibles) - and are a bit thirstier than the standard cars, esp. when you boot it, so if it's not your daily driver, forget your fuel worries - I know I have!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Had my Crossfire for the last 4 to 5 years. Its done less than 70,000 and never had any real problems with it ( broken stereo / dead battery in alarm siren screwing up the alarm system & car thief putting a screw driver through the door lock) Just taken the spring out of the cup holder to stop it jabbing me in the elbow which I wish I had done all those years ago. Think im just slightly bored of it so the real question is : Is the srt-6 that much different / better to justify me spending an extra £7000 on one. Wonder how many red convertible srt-6 are in the UK?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my Crossfire for the last 4 to 5 years. Its done less than 70,000 and never had any real problems with it ( broken stereo / dead battery in alarm siren screwing up the alarm system & car thief putting a screw driver through the door lock) Just taken the spring out of the cup holder to stop it jabbing me in the elbow which I wish I had done all those years ago. Think im just slightly bored of it so the real question is : Is the srt-6 that much different / better to justify me spending an extra £7000 on one. Wonder how many red convertible srt-6 are in the UK?
If you've never driven an SRT, you might want to take one for a test drive. Yes, they are faster than the N/As but they also have a stiffer supension, so depending on the roads in your area, it could be an uncomfortable ride. I test drove an N/A first and bought the SRT once I gave it a test drive. Since it wasn't my daily driver, I could put up with the suspension in order to get the power - worth the trade off to me.

When you say "an extra 7000 euro", do you mean to take the money you will get from your N/A and put an extra 7000 with it to buy an SRT? If so, that seems a bit steep to me. Now, if you are saying you can pick up an SRT convertible right hand drive for 7000 euro, that doesn't sound too bad if the car has been well taken care of.

RL

Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder how many red convertible srt-6 are in the UK?
None: they didn't make the SRT in red

Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Well, you must like it to have kept it for that long, which is great, but they could never be accused of being boring in the looks department so perhaps you're ready for a little more excitement; which the SRT would certainly give you.
(BTW, the Moderators may tell us this isn't the right thread to be discussing the SRT so we may find this moved over to the SRT section...!)
Is it that much better/different? For a start, look at the figures; instead of being based on a standard Merc. with a very respectable 215bhp and 0-60 of 6.3, it's a hand-built AMG performance package - a real beast - very fast - 349bhp, 0-60 in 4.8 secs (AMG numbers, not the politely understated official Chrysler figures.)
Sadly there were never any factory red SRTs - neither coupe or convertibles - only grey, blue, silver - and black (the fastest colour, by the way and yes, I am biased!)
Even at £10k, which is about the most you'd be expected to pay these days (and often much less), they are a serious performance bargain! - as long as you're OK with an auto of course - no manual option, 'cos all AMGs are autos - AFAIK.
Just trawl this forum for more facts/opinions - there are plenty of them!
Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thinking of either 2007 Crossfire Srt-6 Convertible or a 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2V6. Alfa better looking but the crossfire is faster.
Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2 V6 (2007) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

The Alfa is better looking?

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/seein...ree-eye-tests/

Last edited by +fireamx; 06-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I see rust, I'm done unless it's a classic restoration. I would upgrade but, a Toyota Prius! SNAP OUT OF IT MAN!!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by xjken
Once I see rust, I'm done unless it's a classic restoration. I would upgrade but, a Toyota Prius! SNAP OUT OF IT MAN!!!!
I hate rust, it makes me see red.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Hi guys , this is a late reply - several years later but I still have my Crossfire and its still going strong. Touched up the rust myself & it hasn't gotten any worse. Just had to undo the dash today & fit a new electic seat relay ( seat movement playing up - 20 minute job ) Car is just so reliable , I decided not to sell it - its a brilliant little run about. My wife did buy a Vauxhall Ampera ( Chevrolet Volt ) to use as our main car. Got it 2nd hand so it made great sense after losing £20,000 off the original price. Running around on battery power is great but its a little too wide for British standard car spaces. Hope everybody still having fun in their Crossfires. Cheers Rob