Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Think Twice About Using the Tire Sealant

Old 10-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Think Twice About Using the Tire Sealant

I used the tire sealant in an attempt to plug a hole in my left rear tire the first day I owned my Crossfire. The hole was a little too big for the sealant to work, so I had the tire plugged. There was some discussion in this forum as to whether the sealant had any effect on the tire pressure sensors or valves. I replied in an earlier post that I didn't think there were any ill effects. I even tested the tire two months after using the sealant by letting air out of it until the warning light came on and then reinflating the tire until the indicator went off.

Well, it's seven months after using the sealant and the tire pressure indicator just came on and it appears that the valve is clogged. At first I thought that colder whether may have resulted in lower tire pressures, but the pressures in the other three tires was 35psi. Since the valve is clogged I can't measure the pressure in the tire or even add air. The dealer has ordered a new valve and pressure sensor to repair the problem.

My recommendation is to not use the sealant unless you have no other means of repairing it or calling for help. The best way to reduce the likeliness you will have to use the sealant is to buy a tire repair kit with the vulcanized rubber plugs and also keep a pair of pliers in your car for pulling out nails, etc.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually got a nail in my tire the other day.. well discovered it I should say, I was probably driving around with it for weeks. I brought it to my dealer who is also my friend and they put a plug in it, but warned me its kind of dangerous, considering my hole was pretty close to the side wall (but on the tread).

Anyway as far as Sealant is confirmed, I don't know what you read, but I read (i think in the owners manual? or another document) that the sealant should only be used in a last attempt, because once you use it, the tire is done for. Your not supposed to use the tire after using the sealent, except for that one drive to the dealer/shop.

This is the impression I was under, which is why I didn't use the sealant. Sure, it could have added some protection for my drive to the dealer, considering I was doing 70+ on the highway.. but it would have made the tire unusable, and I wanted it fixed.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:55 PM

I've heard that some tire sealants cause the tire to deteriorate. I've also heard of sealants that claim to not damage tires or wheels. The owner's manual makes no reference to any effects the sealant supplied with the Crossfire may have on wheels or tires. I just checked it again to make sure. So I guess I won't find out whether the sealant did any damage to the tire until the dealer installs the new valve.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to plug a Michelin about 6,000 miles at least.No problems yet .

Old 10-08-2004, 03:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with NJSpeed. I thought you were only to use this as a last effort to get to a garage. You should not use the tyre after it has been used with this sealant.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by saldous
I agree with NJSpeed. I thought you were only to use this as a last effort to get to a garage. You should not use the tyre after it has been used with this sealant.
Dan,

When you say "plug", you mean you had a rubber plug put in the tire? I assume you don't mean you used the sealant. The plug in my tire is holding up fine. I've had numerous tires plugged while on the rim and not one has ever failed.

saldous,

The owner's manual doesn't clarify any of this. It does recommend having the tire inspected by someone authorized to sell/repair that tire. It doen't even suggest that further repair is necessary - just that it should be inspected. It also doesn't specify anything about replacing the tire or that the sealant causes damage. The references to sealants that cause tire damage are typically discussing the pressurized aerosol cans that are sold in automotive stores. They are somewhat different than the sealant bottle included with the Crossfire which isn't under high pressure. Some tire sealants even advertise that they are inert and can't damage the tire. I guess my argument is that if someone is temporarily stranded by a flat tire, and if the vehicle manufacturer-equipped sealant system will destroy the tire, the vehicle manufacturer would be obligated to mention this. In my case I was stranded late at night on an interstate, fortunately at a rest area. I learned that Chrysler roadside assistance doesn't provide any repairs (only towing to the nearest dealership). Since I was 600 miles from home that wasn't really a desirable choice. That's when I decided to use the sealant.