Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I got a Cross fire at an auction and Have no clue

Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a Cross fire at an auction and Have no clue

I will make this as brief as possible. My company recently purchased a 2004 BlazeRed Crossfire as my company car. However, there is no owners manual in the car...I know nothing about how to operate things in the car..I have been reading this forum, and have learned some stuff. I have ordered an owners manual from the local Chrysler dealer, but it's not here yet. Also ordered a spare key...also not here...I will be taking the car to the dealer when the key comes, but had some questions in the meantime I wondered if you all could help me with.
1) how do you operate the rear defroster? there is a button on the console that looks like a picture of a defroster...but when I push it, it doesn't seem to defrost the back window.
2) it seems like the outside mirrors defrost, I think I saw smoke come out of one of them, or maybe that was steam. but it seamed like that happened after I pushed the button on the console that says REST???
3)when I push the panic button on the keyless entry nothing happens? what's the trick?
4)when I push the lock button on the keyless entry, the lights flash 3 times..but no horn sound to let me know it's locked? is that a defect or did someone maybe program the horn to stay silent? if that's possible?
5)how long to make the headlights shut off automatically? it doesn't seem like they shut off by themselves. there is a beeping noise inside when you get out and forget to shut them off. Is there a special setting I should have them on, and maybe I don't?
6) do the lights come on automatically at night? I haven't noticed that they do. And if so, do the running lights come on too, or do I need to turn them on?
7) Any reason you can think of someone (a dealership) would send a 2004 crossfire with 1400 miles on it, to an auction in Indiana? Could this car be considered a lemon?

Old 10-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, let's see if I can help you.

1) The defroster button on the console is the one for the rear window. So, it should work. If not, warranty issue.

2) I think that it also defrosts your exterior mirrors. If you've got smoke, then warranty issue.

3) Your horn should sound when you push the panic button. Sounds like another warranty issue.

4) There is no horn sound. So long as the car locks, it sounds like this is working correctly.

5) The headlamps do not automatically shut off. You must turn them on and turn them off. The beeping sound is to let you know you left the lights on.

6) No. You must turn them on. You turn the running lights on by pulling out on the light ****.

7) What's your serial number? Early ones had some issues, but all have been resolved. You might want to get a carfax report on the car and see if it had possibly been wrecked.

Overall, it sounds like you might have a few small problems. But, the car is definitely still under warranty. Your company probably got it at a good price. So, work through them and enjoy the car.

Boy, I need to work for a company that provides Crossfires as company cars!

The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (04-30-2022)
Old 10-11-2004, 10:43 AM

okay, the serial number is
1C3AN69L14X019647
can you tell if that is an early Serial number?
I do love the car...it's alot of fun...just a little annoying haveing a brand new cool car, and not know how to use it..Some funny things....right and left lights? turn the light switch one notch and all the lights on the left work..turn the again, and all the lights on the right work....what is that good for? Also...there is one more thing I forgot...there is a light that has been on since the day I got it (1 week ago) looks like jaggedy parenthises with an exclamation point inside....what is that for?

Old 10-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular

The last six digits of the VIN are the build number. Your's is 19647. It is a fairly late build for an '04, so any early bugs shouldn't be a problem for you.
The right and left lights are standing lights for when you are parked on the side of the road. I think that is a European thing.
The warning light sounds like the low tire pressure light. You need to check the pressures. They should be 33 psi rear, 32 psi front.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:13 PM

Yep, sounds like your low tire pressure sensor is on. The tires have automatic sensors. When one is low on air, it will turn this light on. You need to attend to this as soon as you can. If you've not discovered it yet, there is no spare tire!

I didn't get my manual for over a week. I took delivery on a Friday and on Monday, I had the red "steering wheel" light come on. I had no idea since I had no manual what that meant. I took it to the dealership. They didn't either. They kept it all day only to discover that all that meant was that the lock for the retractable steering wheel was unsecured.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 PM
DG

To set off the panic alarm, you have to hold the panic button in. It won't go off if you just press it. Also, to turn it off (very important), you just hold it in again until it stops.

I just read my manual the other night, its gripping!

Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car, you are extremely lucky to work for a company that would give you an Xfire as a company car.

As for the tire pressure warning light, check to make sure you have all of your valve caps. Recently two of mine were stolen, and it set the Tire Pressure Sensor off. There are little transmitter/receiver's in the caps. took the car to the dealer, and thats when we discovered that the caps were missing caps were replaced and calibrated for $8.43 no labor charge.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 PM

The headlights go on, on my crossfire after I turn them off and get out, as soon as I close my door. They don't stay on very long though, less than a minute I think. There is no adjustment, for the length of time, that I know of.
Another kind of wierd thing is that the garage door openers don't work and either does the horn, if the key isn't on,something you have to get used to after driving american cars.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Default new crossfire at auction

How do you know the garage door opener doesn't work. Without a manual, it can be difficult to program button(s) with your opener.
If you need some help with this, let me know because there is a lengthy section in owners manual explaining process.
Haven't tried the horn without the key in the ignition but unlikely you would use it while not driving.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 AM
DG

Page 72 of the 2005 owner's manual:

Night Security Illumination

For added security when exiting the vehicle after driving with the exterior lights on, the lights will switch on again for approximately 30 seconds after closing the last door. The lights-on timing can be changed at your authorized dealer.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM

He doesn't have his owners manual yet! Poor guy is challenged with the new Crossfire without an owners manual. It's tough enough when you have a manual. Anyone understood how all the features of the Infinity radio works yet?

Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 AM
DG

I don't understand all of the features of the radio, let alone why some of them exist. Why do almost all of the functions involve holding down a button?

About the horn, I showed my cousin the car the other day and the first thing he did was sit in the driver's seat and try the horn. That's when we learned it doesn't work without the key in the ignition. You can't adjust the mirrors without power on either.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 AM

You guys are so helpful....poor GIRL doesn't have a manual....I probably won't need one now with all the help you have offered...I will go outside and check the valve stems on the tires...Also I just noticed this morning when I got out of the car at work, that the lights were on and then went off. I sttod there looking at it for a minute wondering what the heck to do since I was sure I turned the headlights off....good grief it is hard without the manual...but it's getting better because of you guys...I am very lucky to have such a cool company car....since they got it at an auction I think they got a good price on it...And since I am in sales, I think my boss figured out the better the ride, the more likely I will be to go out on sales calls.....however, if the client doesn't like long fast car rides, not much chance of makeing a sale, as all I want to do is drive!!!! FUN FUN....thanks everyone....

Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Default Re: new crossfire at auction

Originally Posted by mbepic
How do you know the garage door opener doesn't work. Without a manual, it can be difficult to program button(s) with your opener.
If you need some help with this, let me know because there is a lengthy section in owners manual explaining process.
Haven't tried the horn without the key in the ignition but unlikely you would use it while not driving.
The garage door opener DOES work, just not when the key isn't on.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Default garage door opener

Your right but the buttons still have to be programmed for your opener.
If you don't program it to the opener, the buttons won't do anything.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Then, again. you can program the buttons and they may not work, depending on your (or at least my) existing equipment.
There are previous posts on this.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Heavy sigh!

I programed the buttons and they open and close the garage doors fine(even with the revolving code), when the key is on and the car is running.

They don't do anything when the car is off

I usually pull in the garage and turn the car off before I close the garage door, but I can't close them from there if I already turned off the car

Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Default Re: garage door opener

Originally Posted by mbepic
Your right

HALLELUIAH!

Old 10-13-2004, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the forum. Your build number is quite high so all of the initial production problems should have been worked out. My build number is 9941 and has been trouble free except for minor wind noise around the drivers side window.

I can't imagine why someone would give up a Crossfire with only 1400 miles, however we have lost a few impulse buyers from the forum, mostly issues like - too small, lack of a spare tire, early build number problems, etc. -

Have you any idea what your company paid for the Crossfire? Just wondering what one would bring at auction.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Default crossfire at auction

Probably was a crime confiscation case. Do you know if the government was behind the auction process?
Or, more likely it was a repo.
Bank sales usually go through the auction and their only interest is to recover the bad debt.
Can be a good deal on a 1,400mile Crossfire.

Quick Reply: I got a Cross fire at an auction and Have no clue